Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 10,058 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in Mahwah and have two young daughters (20 mos. and 5 years old). We are Jewish but do not consider ourselves religious but more culturally Jewish. However, my husband and I grew up in Westchester and went to school with a decent population of Jewish people so we never felt uncomfortable. We love Bergen County because we can get more in our price range and in general the people are more down to earth. However, with the rise of antisemitism I don't want my daughters to grow up ashamed and want them to be in school with a more visable population. I went to the Kindergarten orientation in Mahwah and although I like diversity I have to admit I felt uncomfortable. My daughter is clearly the only Jewish student in the kindergarten class (maybe one more). Not sure if this is just in Lenape Meadows. So now we are thinking of moving down the line. It is very difficult to get accurate Jewish populations in towns. We had our daughter go to preschool in Wyckoff and like the community so will look there but I was also curious about the following towns and what percentage of Jewish kids are in the high schools; Wayne, Woodcliff Lake, River Vale. I heard Woodcliff Lake can be cliquey but not sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 05:10 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Fair Lawn, Teaneck & Tenafly are the first 3 that come to mind. Also Livingston in Essex Co.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:36 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,253,976 times
I guess comfort level is important, but it's pretty silly to judge the town's K-12 public schools by K. Many families won't start their children in the public school district until 1st. Before going overboard about moving, have you talked to other Jewish families in town about their experiences? You could also consider talking to local Rabbis for their perspective as they are sure to have a pulse on the education systems. I have never heard of antisemitism in Mahwah.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 PM

465 posts, read 606,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmuttly2001 View Post
I am currently living in Mahwah and have two young daughters (20 mos. and 5 years old). We are Jewish but do not consider ourselves religious but more culturally Jewish. However, my husband and I grew up in Westchester and went to school with a decent population of Jewish people so we never felt uncomfortable. We love Bergen County because we can get more in our price range and in general the people are more down to earth. However, with the rise of antisemitism I don't want my daughters to grow up ashamed and want them to be in school with a more visable population. I went to the Kindergarten orientation in Mahwah and although I like diversity I have to admit I felt uncomfortable. My daughter is clearly the only Jewish student in the kindergarten class (maybe one more). Not sure if this is just in Lenape Meadows. So now we are thinking of moving down the line. It is very difficult to get accurate Jewish populations in towns. We had our daughter go to preschool in Wyckoff and like the community so will look there but I was also curious about the following towns and what percentage of Jewish kids are in the high schools; Wayne, Woodcliff Lake, River Vale. I heard Woodcliff Lake can be cliquey but not sure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
What rise in antisemitism? Is this even a real post or a troll in action? Anyhow I will bite - tell us about this rise in antisemitism that I am just hearing about?

Old 08-04-2014, 09:11 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmuttly2001 View Post
Wyckoff has a temple (it moved there some years ago from Paterson) so they have a larger Jewish population than some of the other towns.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Bergen County has an extremely high Jewish population (over 10%). While I'm not a community insider, I am a Jewish demographics junkie and can provide you a link to this study, which should be helpful. Note that (a) the study dates to 2001, and (b) it does not include the western portion of the County (Fair Lawn, Wyckoff, Franklin Lakes, etc.), which also has a sizable Jewish population. Teaneck, Englewood, Tenafly, Alpine, and Closter (among others) had 20%+ Jewish household populations at the time of the study. Mahwah was only a little over 5% (others will have to chime in as to whether that's dramatically changed).

Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I think the OP is referring to the impact of the latest conflict in the Israel / Gaza regions. I don't recall the situation being this flared up in quite some time. Certainly this is causing some isolated rifts stateside lately. Check this article out for example:

N.Y. Jewish doctor kicked off JetBlue flight for ranting at Palestinian passenger: reports - NY Daily News

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
What rise in antisemitism? Is this even a real post or a troll in action? Anyhow I will bite - tell us about this rise in antisemitism that I am just hearing about?

Old 08-06-2014, 10:16 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,458,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I think the OP is referring to the impact of the latest conflict in the Israel / Gaza regions. I don't recall the situation being this flared up in quite some time. Certainly this is causing some isolated rifts stateside lately. Check this article out for example:

N.Y. Jewish doctor kicked off JetBlue flight for ranting at Palestinian passenger: reports - NY Daily News
Anti-Semitism? It sounds like they (justifiably) kicked a nut off the plane.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:34 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
I get my takes on Jews from Woody Allen & Howard Stern...and they're both nuts.

North Jersey is filled with all kinds of Jews - Orthodox, Hasids, Conservative, etc. Jews from NYC who post on CD think NJ is KKK country for some reason.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:56 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post

Sounds like more like a whackjob got what was coming to him. "Rise of anti-Semitism" is some fearmongering ridiculousness, at least as far as the US is concerned.

Anyway, basically everywhere in Bergen County has a significant number of Jews, with the towns listed above having the most. If you're not religious, Teaneck and Englewood aren't great choices, though--the Jewish areas there are mostly Orthodox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey