Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post

CA is a very large state with many more larger cities and metro areas than tiny NJ. Of course NJ has higher rates of graduation -- THERE ARE LESS PEOPLE THERE. CA can't be all things to all people, but at least the university system kicks NJ's ass in that sense.
OMG do you really not understand graduation RATE?

Rate is a ratio where you control for size of a group in the numerator.

The size of the state or its population has nothing to do with the RATE of graduation in the slightest since we are talking about a RATIO.

And moving the goal posts, from the OP talking about k-12, to universities is a logical fallacy. The public school system (known by nearly every coherent US citizen as meaning primary and secondary school) in NJ is far superior to that of california. This is fact, and as people who live in NJ, we know that one of the reasons we are consistently one of the best in the nation, and always better than California, is that we heavily fund our local schools out of property taxes.

So yes, we have a greater property tax burden, we also get more for our tax burden in services than California does. You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
OMG do you really not understand graduation RATE?

No, he clearly does not understand that concept, but there are a host of other concepts that he also can't seem to wrap his head around, and he will continue to post statements that are irrational, inaccurate, and indefensible.

His agenda is to prove--to himself--that everything in NJ is...bad...evil...deficient, so that he can attempt to justify his failures in essentially every aspect of his life in NJ and NY.

Don't allow his mania to become your mania.
If you encountered an irrational person shouting in the street, would you engage him in conversation?
Encounters in this forum can be very similar to coming into contact with a crazy person in the street, and attempting to introduce rational thought into these encounters is almost always...non-productive.

Honestly, why not just IGNORE him?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:27 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I just don't understand why most of you don't utilize the "ignore" feature when it comes to...certain forum members.

Just as I will cross the street to avoid crazy street people who shout nonsensical statements to the wind, I also take steps to avoid viewing equally nonsensical rants on internet forums.

Unless you enjoy watching train wrecks, I suggest that more of you simply utilize the "ignore" feature.

the difference: the casual visitor to this forum looking for info might actually buy his B.S. because it isn't as always a overt as a crazy person shouting on the street. So providing a little counter point for that reader serves a purpose. Plus there's a little satisfaction in showing him to be a fool

Old 08-07-2014, 09:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
the difference: the casual visitor to this forum looking for info might actually buy his B.S. because it isn't as always a overt as a crazy person shouting on the street. So providing a little counter point for that reader serves a purpose. Plus there's a little satisfaction in showing him to be a fool
That's my logic too. I'm less likely to respond in NJ forums than I am in general US or city vs city because NJ has enough of a negative reputation, we don't need its number 1 (former) resident to make people think it's as bad as the stereotypes and preconceived notions make it seem. I have seen straight lies coming from this poster and sorry, but I want to counteract that for those who may actually believe it.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No, he clearly does not understand that concept, but there are a host of other concepts that he also can't seem to wrap his head around, and he will continue to post statements that are irrational, inaccurate, and indefensible.

His agenda is to prove--to himself--that everything in NJ is...bad...evil...deficient, so that he can attempt to justify his failures in essentially every aspect of his life in NJ and NY.

Don't allow his mania to become your mania.
If you encountered an irrational person shouting in the street, would you engage him in conversation?
Encounters in this forum can be very similar to coming into contact with a crazy person in the street, and attempting to introduce rational thought into these encounters is almost always...non-productive.

Honestly, why not just IGNORE him?

I have Freshy on ignore, but as you know, when someone responds to his posts, I see the drivel he spews. I don't respond though. It's weird though that from history, he appears to hate NJ because a few girls dumped him.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I have Freshy on ignore, but as you know, when someone responds to his posts, I see the drivel he spews. I don't respond though. It's weird though that from history, he appears to hate NJ because a few girls dumped him.
Tahiti, you are a f-ing idiot. You are just bitter because I called you out on like NJ's crappy Pay for play beaches over Aruba's. That's how you know people on this forum are demented apologists.

Women? It has nothing to do with that. Again, if you want to debate, let's debate but stop bringing up irrelevant issues that aren't true.

Let's be frank -- this forum is nothing but a club where people make up opinions and spin it as fact (essentially that's city data in a nutshell.) You say anything not positive about Jersey, expect the goons to come out and defend it.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,755 times
Freshflakes - since your embarrassment yesterday, please tell us that you have at least now learned the meaning of 'median' and 'rate'.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:29 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,074,430 times
California at one time had the most saggy, roidheaded Gov-er-nators in the US per capita. JAWOHL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey