Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:53 AM

15 posts, read 16,591 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Newark (there's no getting around this) soon and am strongly considering living in Hallmark House. I have read different things from different people but the majority of it was from years ago. I would like more current info on the apartment as well as any info on the neighborhood itself. I believe that it is located in downtown Newark but I am not sure. I have also read a lot of posts about Ironbound and Harrison. If anyone could tell me where those neighborhoods are in proximity to where I'd be, that would be great as well. I have googled Hallmark House, read the google/yelp reviews and checked it out via spot crime. I am not coming from the suburbs so I believe I have a realistic idea of what I'm getting myself into. I know that I will need to be alert and understand the risks associated with most big cities but would still like to hear any advice/comments. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:20 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
That area is near the bad parts of Newark and at night it can be dead. There are some New Apartments in the Center of Downtown and some refurbished units in the Ironbound and Harrison north of 280.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM

Ok. I googled the area on spot crime and it didn't look that bad at all. Are you speaking from current experience or past, and when you say dead I'm assuming you mean deadly right? The apartments are near city hall and a police dept so I thought crime would be minimal.

Last edited by bryantbc; 08-17-2014 at 11:09 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 11:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantbc View Post
Ok. I googled the area on spot crime and it didn't look that bad at all. Are you speaking from current experience or past, and when you say dead I'm assuming you mean deadly right? The apartments are near city hall and a police dept so I thought crime would be minimal.
Its more quiet-dead then dangerous...if you go further South into the South Ward and into the West Ward then you hit the worst areas of the city. Its on the edge of the safe zone... I think a few years from now the developers will start improving on the area...but I would pass it up if you can.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,223,636 times
You wouldn't want to consider one of the towns bordering Newark, such as South Orange? More safe and more to do.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You wouldn't want to consider one of the towns bordering Newark, such as South Orange? More safe and more to do.
I did consider the other ones but it is far less expensive. The area didn't seem that bad on the various crime statistic websites so I didn't think it would be that bad. I know it isn't a posh neighborhood but, for the price, it is pretty enticing.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantbc View Post
I did consider the other ones but it is far less expensive. The area didn't seem that bad on the various crime statistic websites so I didn't think it would be that bad. I know it isn't a posh neighborhood but, for the price, it is pretty enticing.
Trust me when I tell you. I am from the area strongly consider Harrison. I have no reason to hate on Newark but you really dont want to be in that area.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:24 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,290 times
what is your budget? Will you have a car? Where are you working? Kids? All pertinent info to help us assist you.

But if i was to live in Newark i would live in the ironbound for sure!

Old 08-18-2014, 03:29 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
what is your budget? Will you have a car? Where are you working? Kids? All pertinent info to help us assist you.

Thats about it.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:51 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post

...but not if you have a car...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey