U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:00 AM

6 posts, read 100,415 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Brielle, NJ and commute to NYC every day. I love it here but I can not take the commute anymore. It takes over 2 hours each way to go to work. Anyway, I am starting to look into buying my first house. Last night I saw cute old homes for an affordable pricve online for North Plainfield and Plainfield. I am interested becasue my commute will be cut in half. Now these homes and their prices seem to good be true. So hat is the catch? Is it bad? I researched a little but not finding out any real dirt. Can anyone help?

D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2006, 07:32 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Most of Plainfield is an area you wouldn't want to live in, and the "estate" section is too high-priced to be what you're seeing if the prices seem "too good to be true". N. Plainfield has some decent areas (generally the areas furthest from Plainfield). If you've got (or intend to have) kids, the schools in both towns leave a lot to be desired.

Have you considered Woodbridge? There are still great buys there (condos for around $250k, single family homes from around $300k), the schools are very good, and there are two train stations within the township with direct access to NYC- the Woodbridge station on the Coast line, and the Metropark station on the NE Corridor line.

Good luck,

Bob

Old 10-30-2006, 07:54 AM

Thank you. I will look into Woodbridge as well. I just don't want to live in an overcrowded area. Then again, there is no such place as this is NJ anymore. Its just so sad.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:09 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Yeah, if you're working in NYC, you're going to either have to live in an "overcrowded area" or commute 2 1/2 hours each way. In general, Middlesex County isn't really any more crowded than what you're used to in Brielle, so it wouldn't be too bad of an adjustment. Of course, if you're a sun-worshiper and plan to head down the shore every weekend, you'll be in for a shock with the traffic heading south on the GSP in the summer......lol.

Bob

Old 10-30-2006, 10:09 AM

Believe me I know all about it. I used to take a bus from Howell and Friday nights in the summer were absolute nightmares. The train is no waslk in the sun either on Friday nights in the summer. If I were only rich and did't have to work in NY!!!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:21 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,303,406 times
If you are open to condos, there are tons in Bedminster and it is a reasonable commute by train to NYC. Lots of community pools, tennis and activities for young singles too.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 25,255 times
Default Plainfield is great

Plainfield has some very lovely areas and 9 historic districts. You can definitely get more house for your money here, and many of the houses are beautiful examples of various styles of architecture. It is a city, and like any other city it has areas that are economically depressed, and some areas where you wouldn't want to walk at night. But there is redevelopment going on downtown and I hope it continues... Unfortunately some people have a negative perception of the city, and of course that does nothing but help to perpetuate the negative aspects. I love living here and I love the neighborhood. It is completely different that Woodbridge, which I consider pretty generic-looking, full of busy highways and overcrowded. But you really just need to visit and drive and walk around any town you're considering living in to draw your own conclusions. Good luck with your house hunt!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 25,229 times
Hi,

Similarly to Plainfield, North Plainfield has an undeserved bad reputation. I think that that is the town's biggest problem, and that the town needs to work on marketing the area. The bad reputation has caused the lower prices on the homes. Both the East End and West End of town are lovely. (I would avoid the center of town which is a bit run down and has lots of multi-family homes.). I live in a section of town called the Meadowbrook section which is absolutely gorgeous. When I first saw it, I could not believe that I was in North Plainfield because I too believed some of the rumors about the town being bad. I have a very big house (over 3000 square feet) and about 1/3 of an acre of land, and I bought it four years ago for $340k. My neighborhood is diverse, with a mix of all races and some professionals (I am an attorney). I have brought friends over, some who live in ritzier towns such as Ramsey and Mendham, and they loved my neighborhood and couldn't believe what I paid for my house. (They all assumed I paid over $500k) I believe that there are at least 2-3 homes on the market in my area -- go to realtor.com or some site that lists the garden state MLS listings and plug in MLS # 2383988, 2335768, and 2345618 for three examples of homes for sale in this area. The homes in this section are slightly higher than in some other parts of N. Plainfield because of how desirable the area is.

The schools are another reason why the town gets a bad rap. The reason for this is that they do not score as high as other schools in testing, and that scares a lot of professional families away. But the main reason that we test lower is because of the town's diversity -- I believe we have one of the most diverse school districts with kids from all over the world (hispanic students, chinese, vietnamese, etc.) I personally think such a diverse environment is a wonderful place to send kids. My only concern would be the high school, not because it is not safe, but I just feel that by the time my future children are in high school, I would like them to be in a more academically challenging environment. But there are private high schools in teh area if I decide to go that route.

The downtown is a bit run down and has primarily hispanic businesses. I believe the town is trying to work on improving the appearance of the downtown. They are also aware that they need to work on outreach to the hispanic business owners in attempts at getting them to market their services to non-hispanic clientele.

Plainfield also has some lovely areas, but I think that the schools are even more of an issue in that town, particularly the High School which has experienced violence.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,868,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniegirl0576 View Post
I currently live in Brielle, NJ and commute to NYC every day. I love it here but I can not take the commute anymore. It takes over 2 hours each way to go to work. Anyway, I am starting to look into buying my first house. Last night I saw cute old homes for an affordable pricve online for North Plainfield and Plainfield. I am interested becasue my commute will be cut in half. Now these homes and their prices seem to good be true. So hat is the catch? Is it bad? I researched a little but not finding out any real dirt. Can anyone help?

D.

I noticed the original post was from oct
please let us know if you decided to move and how you like your new area if you did move

Old 08-09-2007, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 24,707 times
Default Plainfield negative press

I have lived in Plainfield on the East End since '79 which is nearly 27 years. My immediate family consisted of my mother, in her 70's; my husband and three teenage boys. In addition, my sisters, their husbands and families. I have never had any negative incident, not even a home breakin in all this time. I suspect, Plainfield, like Columbine, Co., Beverly Hills, Calif., Boston, Mass. or any of the other places that have been besieged with violence recently is just the sign of the time. Our nation and our world are not safe. Plainfield has beautiful homes at reasonable prices. Plainfield has been given a lot of negative press since the uprising of the 60's when much of the services left the city. The schools have been neglected as many of our urban schools have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or