Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:06 AM

175 posts, read 248,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I would agree. Middletown is a decent option too if you are looking at Old Bridge. Similar town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
If you're going to look at Old Bridge, you might as well check out East Brunswick. Better schools, more shopping, variety of housing stock.

what about commute to NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 08:24 AM

244 posts, read 597,991 times
East Brunswick is not bad- bus from The transportation center- route 18 traffic can be a pain though. no train in EB. Middletown is further than OB from both a train and bus standpoint. There is ferry option from Highlands but very expensive and drops off downtown or on east side only I think.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:29 AM

5,152 posts, read 3,760,274 times
The past 30 years I have owned a home in Manalapan. Owned a townhome in Marlboro bordering Old Bridge off Texas Road and have rented in a multitude of apts in Matawan Freehold and now Old Bridge. I would pick Old Bridge last. Freehold is a longer commute but the area is nicer and the schools are better than Old Bridge.

Some areas in Northern NJ are nicer but by and large the property taxes are considerably higher.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:06 AM

244 posts, read 597,991 times
Commuting to Freehold to NYC on a daily basis would be MISERABLE.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:19 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
East Brunswick is not bad- bus from The transportation center- route 18 traffic can be a pain though. no train in EB. Middletown is further than OB from both a train and bus standpoint. There is ferry option from Highlands but very expensive and drops off downtown or on east side only I think.
True.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
The past 30 years I have owned a home in Manalapan. Owned a townhome in Marlboro bordering Old Bridge off Texas Road and have rented in a multitude of apts in Matawan Freehold and now Old Bridge. I would pick Old Bridge last. Freehold is a longer commute but the area is nicer and the schools are better than Old Bridge.

Some areas in Northern NJ are nicer but by and large the property taxes are considerably higher.
for me, commute is very important. When i saw Old Bridge a few months ago it looked like a nice, calm area. I am not looking for towns with top top schools. Priority is

1) Easy commute to Midtown NY
2) Home prices / taxes
3) No flood zones
4) Safety / schools
5) Quality of roads, etc (coming from Brooklyn, NY this shouldn't be hard)
6) Some shopping nearby, beach, etc

pretty much, i am looking for a good deal on housing while still being able to keep my NYC job.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM

5,152 posts, read 3,760,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren810g View Post
Commuting to Freehold to NYC on a daily basis would be MISERABLE.
Might be 20 minutes longer on the bus each way. I would much rather live in Marlboro Manalapan or Freehold than Old Bridge. I have lived off of Route 9 for the past 30 years and drive into Newark every day.

Commuting into Manhattan is a grind no matter where you live.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Might be 20 minutes longer on the bus each way. I would much rather live in Marlboro Manalapan or Freehold than Old Bridge. I have lived off of Route 9 for the past 30 years and drive into Newark every day.

Can you please tell me what is so bad about Old Bridge? Like I said when I was there I thought the area was very decent. What did I not see?

thank you

Old 08-24-2014, 12:21 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:

20 minutes longer on a good day.

No way would I buy any home south of Old Bridge where I needed to take route 9 during rush hour.

Even during the week, let alone the weekends, route 9 south of Old Bridge is a parking lot.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Nothing is really bad about Old Bridge, it just has some areas, mostly a few apartment complexes that you want to stay away from, as well as some more blue collar neighborhoods mostly west of Rt 9 and up on the bay (Lawrence Harbor/Cliffwood Beach).

I wouldn't say Marlboro or Manalapan are any better though. Mostly glorified white trash - "fake" wealth (all show and no dough), driving leased 75K cars and taking out triple mortgages on their McMansions full of empty rooms, worth the same as their little shack on Staten Island they sold during the bubble. Now they think they are living so large and that their $#!+ doesn't stink anymore. Complete with their horrific driving skills, ten year old mentality and spoiled brat offspring quickly becoming just like them. And they also have a disdainful attitude toward just about any other place on the face of the earth. This lancers character is probably one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey