Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 PM

244 posts, read 597,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Might be 20 minutes longer on the bus each way. I would much rather live in Marlboro Manalapan or Freehold than Old Bridge. I have lived off of Route 9 for the past 30 years and drive into Newark every day.

Commuting into Manhattan is a grind no matter where you live.
Listen I'm not a hater of Marlboro/Manalapan or Freehold. I have friends that live in both and some that commute to the city each day. There are many threads on this board that bash Marlboro - my neighbors actually started out in OB, moved to Marlboro but due to the pretentiousness of the schools moved back to Old Bridge. Everyone has their opinion on what is better and why. Both towns are nice (I like the Freehold downtown area) and Marlboro has some great neighborhoods, but when you have to take a daily commute into account, each person has to weigh the pros/cons of everything (not just schools)

Even if they are just 20 minutes more each way each day, that adds 3-4 hours a week to an already long commute. I get off the bus at Cheesequake (sometimes my door to door runs 1.5-2 hours) going to Old Bridge (when there is bad weather, traffic) and I sit there and think I can't imagine being the people that stayed on the bus who are going to Red Bank, Middletown, Freehold, etc because by that time I am done and can't imagine sitting on the bus another minute (and I like those towns). I actually don't even think Old Bridge is a great commute (its ok) but many northern Jersey towns that have a shorter commute are just much more expensive. When the bus is on schedule, I can do an hour 20 min door to door which for me isn't bad at all considering where I work in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Nothing is really bad about Old Bridge, it just has some areas, mostly a few apartment complexes that you want to stay away from, as well as some more blue collar neighborhoods mostly west of Rt 9 and up on the bay (Lawrence Harbor/Cliffwood Beach).

I wouldn't say Marlboro or Manalapan are any better though. Mostly glorified white trash - "fake" wealth (all show and no dough), driving leased 75K cars and taking out triple mortgages on their McMansions full of empty rooms, worth the same as their little shack on Staten Island they sold during the bubble. Now they think they are living so large and that their $#!+ doesn't stink anymore. Complete with their horrific driving skills, ten year old mentality and spoiled brat offspring quickly becoming just like them. And they also have a disdainful attitude toward just about any other place on the face of the earth. This lancers character is probably one of them.
Spot on!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:01 PM

175 posts, read 248,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
20 minutes longer on a good day.

No way would I buy any home south of Old Bridge where I needed to take route 9 during rush hour.

Even during the week, let alone the weekends, route 9 south of Old Bridge is a parking lot.

ok, but Old Bridge on average mon-fr 8am out to NYC and 6pm back to OB ..... average 1 hour to 1h 20m worst?

keeping in mind that I work 3 blocks away from bus terminal in Manhattan

by the way ... this is great info. I really appreciate everyone giving their input.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:26 PM

5,150 posts, read 3,758,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
Can you please tell me what is so bad about Old Bridge? Like I said when I was there I thought the area was very decent. What did I not see?

thank you
Not so bad. Like comparing East Orange to Livingston or Millburn. That's all.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
for me, commute is very important. When i saw Old Bridge a few months ago it looked like a nice, calm area. I am not looking for towns with top top schools. Priority is

1) Easy commute to Midtown NY
2) Home prices / taxes
3) No flood zones
4) Safety / schools
5) Quality of roads, etc (coming from Brooklyn, NY this shouldn't be hard)
6) Some shopping nearby, beach, etc

pretty much, i am looking for a good deal on housing while still being able to keep my NYC job.
There is no easy commute to Manhattan from NJ unless you choose to buy an overpriced condo near the tunnels.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
20 minutes longer on a good day.

No way would I buy any home south of Old Bridge where I needed to take route 9 during rush hour.

Even during the week, let alone the weekends, route 9 south of Old Bridge is a parking lot.
I have driven Route 9 from the Parkway exit in Sayreville/Parlin the past 30 years and while it has gotten progressively worse over the years it is in no way a parking lot. Not that long of a ride anyway.

I drive down to Raleigh/Durham twice a month so driving doesn't bother me. You want to see a parking lot try 95 in Virginia. Route 9 is nothing.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Nothing is really bad about Old Bridge, it just has some areas, mostly a few apartment complexes that you want to stay away from, as well as some more blue collar neighborhoods mostly west of Rt 9 and up on the bay (Lawrence Harbor/Cliffwood Beach).

I wouldn't say Marlboro or Manalapan are any better though. Mostly glorified white trash - "fake" wealth (all show and no dough), driving leased 75K cars and taking out triple mortgages on their McMansions full of empty rooms, worth the same as their little shack on Staten Island they sold during the bubble. Now they think they are living so large and that their $#!+ doesn't stink anymore. Complete with their horrific driving skills, ten year old mentality and spoiled brat offspring quickly becoming just like them. And they also have a disdainful attitude toward just about any other place on the face of the earth. This lancers character is probably one of them.
Someone sounds jealous. Like you know me pal? You must have met the wrong people.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:07 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Not so bad. Like comparing East Orange to Livingston or Millburn. That's all.
Someone needs a geography lesson on demographics.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:11 PM

I guess I should have clarified "easy" commute. I am comparing to 1 hour commute I have now on NY Subway door to door. As long as on average it's around 1h 10 min i call it an easy commute

Old 08-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Alright so .... after all the reading and studying .... I have jotted down the following places to look for housing ...

West Orange
Montclair
Morristown
Rutherford
Maplewood
Cranford
Millburn
Short Hills
Summit
New Province
Berkley Heights
Chatham
Madison
Pompton Plains
Pequannock
Moris County
Middletown
East Brunswick

Any of these should be OFF my list considering what I was looking for?

thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey