Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 AM

19,033 posts, read 25,104,119 times

Advertisements

Yes, NJ tap water is safe to drink, although if a municipal employee--like one in New Brunswick did for 3+ years--decides to ignore high contaminant levels, the risk does increase to some extent:

http://newbrunswicktoday.com/article...tion-state-dep

On the other hand, if one lives in--let's say--Louisiana, the water could potentially kill you:

Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana parish drinking water | The Rundown | PBS NewsHour

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,489,771 times
I took a tube of water and sent it off to a lab for analysis and it came back Safe. It is definitely fluoride added water. If you have any doubts about your local water supply go buy a water testing kit, it costs only $20 and you get the results in a month.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:24 AM

87,954 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I took a tube of water and sent it off to a lab for analysis and it came back Safe. It is definitely fluoride added water. If you have any doubts about your local water supply go buy a water testing kit, it costs only $20 and you get the results in a month.
Good info.

I usually just drink the water, and if I don't die, I figure it's good.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,095,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, NJ tap water is safe to drink, although if a municipal employee--like one in New Brunswick did for 3+ years--decides to ignore high contaminant levels, the risk does increase to some extent:

New Brunswick Water Utility Repeatedly Covered Up Quality Violations For 3+ Years | New Brunswick Today

On the other hand, if one lives in--let's say--Louisiana, the water could potentially kill you:

Brain-eating amoeba found in Louisiana parish drinking water | The Rundown | PBS NewsHour

Things happen. What's notable here? That they were eventually discovered because they were a violation of the regulations in place.

However, bottled water does not require certified lab testing, does not require reporting of violations of water standards when they are found and does not require reporting where the water comes from or what contaminants are in it.

If you believe the corporations in charge of such bottled water companies are saints who produce perfect products in spite of lax regulation allowing them to get away with not doing so, I have a bridge to sell you.

You just don't hear about issues like this in bottled water not because they don't happen, but because no one is testing it and they don't have to provide any information on what's in it. The stuff in the bottle can have all those sorts of problems, you'll never know.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:45 AM

19,033 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post

If you believe the corporations in charge of such bottled water companies are saints who produce perfect products in spite of lax regulation allowing them to get away with not doing so, I have a bridge to sell you.

How did you manage to get that meaning from what I posted?
I said absolutely nothing about bottled water, and I stated that NJ tap water is safe to drink.

How could you possibly have come up with that interpretation of what I wrote?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:57 AM

11,337 posts, read 10,968,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Just about everyone I know buys bottled water including myself. I even go as far as cooking with bottled water but over time, this can be expensive not to mention not good for the environment.

Too bad we don't trust the tap water here. Should we trust the water here more?
This is what happens when one abandons rationality in favor of mystical emotionalism. Let's not do that.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,980,792 times
Many studies show that filtered tap water is cleaner than bottled water and vice versa. It's inconclusive. As long as you have a filter on your water dispenser, you'll be fine.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:35 AM

23,299 posts, read 16,980,838 times
"Bad" water from the Delaware and Raritan canal is said to be the source of racism in Fords.

The water supply in Nixon is, however, safe but you need to run the tap for 18 minutes.

Clinton's water supply comes from a 'whitewater source'.

Lincoln Park has generated the ditty, 'Lincoln, Lincoln what the heck have you been drinking? Is it whiskey, is it wine., oh my gosh it's turpentine!!

Garfield had a short lived water filtering system but someone shot it up.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:52 AM

87,954 posts, read 83,773,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"Bad" water from the Delaware and Raritan canal is said to be the source of racism in Fords.

The water supply in Nixon is, however, safe but you need to run the tap for 18 minutes.

Clinton's water supply comes from a 'whitewater source'.

Lincoln Park has generated the ditty, 'Lincoln, Lincoln what the heck have you been drinking? Is it whiskey, is it wine., oh my gosh it's turpentine!!

Garfield had a short lived water filtering system but someone shot it up.
Now that was creative!

Old 08-31-2014, 11:25 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,382,350 times
Well water. Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey