Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:54 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,435,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenEva View Post
Fairlawn would still be closer to a lower Bergen Town in my opinion. It is a nice enough town but still has the section along Route 4 and close to Elmwood Park and Paterson that would keep in mixed enough to not fit in with towns like Ridgewood, Glen Rock, etc.
There is nothing wrong with being "lower" Bergen. They are still nice towns with decent schools for the most part. They just aren't as wealthy as upper Bergen towns.
Hasbrouck Heights is a nice town but Wood Ridge and Lodi run right into it and most times you can't tell where one town ends and the next starts. I would classify either of those 2 other towns as upper Bergen so I wouldn't think of Heights that was either. Yes Heights might be more expensive and have much higher taxes but it still does't have the feel of an upper Bergen town.

River Edge has become much more expensive to live in. The taxes in that town are very expensive and the good schools are drawing in many people willing to pay more to live there. I think they are becoming an upper Bergen town but might not be there 100% yet.
I think Fair Lawn is Bergen County's perfect midpoint, a "bridge" between Southern Bergen County's more working-class towns and Northern Bergen County's more affluent towns.

The town itself changes as you travel through it. The Northern and Eastern parts look just about the same as the parts of Paramus and Glen Rock that they border, while the South and East look a heckuva lot more like Elmwood Park or Saddle Brook.

One of my favorite aspects of Bergen County is the gradual changeover from affluent to... not so affluent. Unlike somewhere like Essex County, where you have wealthy towns smack dab against the hood. (No signs necessary. You just know when you've crossed the borders.) In addition, Bergen is fortunate to not have any really bad towns. Sure, Garfield, Lodi, Hackensack and a few others are gritty and have their sketchy parts, but they're still light years away from a Camden or Irvington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey