Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 07:33 PM

22 posts, read 34,124 times

Advertisements

Here is quick background. We are under contract ( done with attorney review) for a property which is being sold by Relocation company. We submitted OPRA request to township and we got response from township about all work permit issued and completed.

There was not work permit for partially finished basement advertised in MLS . As relocation company is selling home they are not making any representation and relo's attorney said it is up to buyer to do due dilligence on everything.

Today we had home inspection and home inspector told us just looking at basement layout that it seems to be done without permit and not upto code. He said it would cost close to 2K-3k to bring upto code ( electrical work/new door to entrance of Furnace/Water heater and covering up area under stairs where wood is exposed right now.).

I am going to talk with my attorney tomorrow and find out what he suggest? inspector is going to put it as defect saying not upto code and get permit.

What people here think of it? Should i stick to guns of getting seller to complete that work . Knowing relo company mostly they would bark at it. what other options i have ( one i know is backing out of deal but that means i would be taking $1K loss).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,006,487 times
Relo companies usually will not bring a house to code. So it's on you. For $2,000 to $3,000 I would just buy it and fix it myself. This is pennies in the grand scheme of things.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,176,513 times
You can ask the relo company/seller for an adjustment of price to cover the expense that you will have to make to bring it up to code. This should be an easy and reasonable ask. If they do decide to decline, you can walk away as this is an issue highlighted in the inspection and as mentioned in your agreement, you have a right. But I doubt they would decline. Any other buyer who does his due deligence would find the same and request for the same.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:39 PM

22 posts, read 34,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Relo companies usually will not bring a house to code. So it's on you. For $2,000 to $3,000 I would just buy it and fix it myself. This is pennies in the grand scheme of things.
I wonder, do you have any idea how township ( bridgwater) would treat this situation if seller now goes and ask for fresh CCO ( township doens't require on sell but we are demanding).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: