Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,088,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...and then there are modern ductless systems that cost a fraction of that amount to install...

Or there are AC units that can be mounted in the walls. Probably the same as the window units but just not that ugly looking. Plus you also don't need to take them in/out. Again, can probably be installed for 4-6 K at most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 06:06 PM

27 posts, read 30,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Or there are AC units that can be mounted in the walls. Probably the same as the window units but just not that ugly looking. Plus you also don't need to take them in/out. Again, can probably be installed for 4-6 K at most.
A $500K+ house with wall units? Only in the NE

Old 09-15-2014, 07:40 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI9045 View Post
Yes - because the NE is an old region with older homes. It makes sense.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:55 PM

27 posts, read 30,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes - because the NE is an old region with older homes. It makes sense.
Very overpriced older homes.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:23 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,830,041 times
What about portable air conditioning units?

I will admit they do not work as well as window a/c,but they still are an option.
You do not have to put in bulky window units that block sunlight.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:26 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Quote:
Very overpriced older homes.
Why did you move here if you don't like it? Surely you knew what the real estate market was before you made that choice. Anything within commuting distance of the city is going to come at a price. Maybe you should check out Manhattan, where 2-bedroom apartments can be purchased for a million and up. Makes Bergen County look kinda reasonable, hehehe.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What about portable air conditioning units?

I will admit they do not work as well as window a/c,but they still are an option.
You do not have to put in bulky window units that block sunlight.
I've seen them in catalogs and wondered if they work. Don't need one, because I am in a condo and have central air. Thought they might be good for apartments.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've seen them in catalogs and wondered if they work. Don't need one, because I am in a condo and have central air. Thought they might be good for apartments.
I've heard nothing but complaints about them. They don't seem to work well and you have to empty a water reservoir or run a drain hose through a window.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:30 AM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
A friend of mine was considering one, and Costco had a very good price on it.
However, after reading the abysmal online reviews of the product, he decided to not buy it.

These units tend to be noisy, inconvenient, and less efficient than a unit that would be mounted in a window.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Thumbs down Portable Air Conditioners — Check out what the pros say

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
What about portable air conditioning units? I will admit they do not work as well as window a/c,but they still are an option. You do not have to put in bulky window units that block sunlight.
Yes, they are an option, but a less desirable one. Also, some units require window venting.

Quote:
Do they cool? Yes. But do they really 'work'? Eh...
See what the link to Consumer Reports indicates. (below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've heard nothing but complaints about them. They don't seem to work well and you have to empty a water reservoir or run a drain hose through a window.
Some units need to have water emptied, others self-evaporate, and still others require water to be added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
A friend of mine was considering one, and Costco had a very good price on it.
However, after reading the abysmal online reviews of the product, he decided to not buy it. These units tend to be noisy, inconvenient, and less efficient than a unit that would be mounted in a window.
They are getting better and better, but these criticisms are all valid.

See what the experts say: Portable Air Conditioners | Air Conditioner Reviews - Consumer Reports News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey