Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 AM

13 posts, read 40,220 times

Advertisements

Something doesn't make sense, I have been looking on Google Maps. The point at which we are ESTIMATING the cop started following her to the road that she got pulled over on (When he blasted his sirens real quick) is no more then .2 miles. He says he was following her for a mile.

Something is not right here, I am going to go to the path (physically) at which she drove and see where the hell this could of happened, because this is not adding up. Most of Main St. is 40MPH too. I think it drops to 25 in a town, but we JUST hit that when he blared his sirens. And she must of been going around 35 miles an hour as her car was going pretty damn slow. Something is extremely fishy about this.

Helmetta is an EXTREMELY small town. No more then 2 miles across from one end point to another. Traveling on Main ST.

I wish my memory was better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 12:13 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Speed trap town of Central NJ. Everyone should avoid it at all costs and starve that sh!thole dry. A report showed that out of 222 tickets issued by these crooks, all but 2 went to out-of-town motorists. Most likely a violation of the equal protection clause of the Constitution.

Speed trap: Records show out-of-town drivers targeted by small N.J. town's cops | NJ.com
I think the speed zone in Helmetta is 25mph. Traffic court at night is packed with people who don't live in town.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:52 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Highland Park is really bad too. I once got a ticket written at 2am saying my car was "blocking an intersection". I was at least 5 feet away from the corner, but apparently I was supposed to be 10 feet in. Talk about BS. These small town cops have nothing better to do.

It's kind of like North Jersey towns where you can't park in the street overnight (2am - 5am where I live now). The only reason this "law" exists is to bring in revenue for the town.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:52 PM

Don't cops realize even though it's there job how much they can affect peoples lives?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM

275 posts, read 743,168 times
On a side note, it is confirmation # 98663957, people need to have dash cams. $30-100 piece from Ebay could have reduced burden, if not eliminated it completely.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:54 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
So very sorry OP for the tickets to your gf and hope that the judge will be fair.

You should see the cops here in SW NJ - they are $ opportunists and that expands to the professions as well. I'm seeking out of NJ if possible.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:23 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Highland Park is really bad too. I once got a ticket written at 2am saying my car was "blocking an intersection". I was at least 5 feet away from the corner, but apparently I was supposed to be 10 feet in. Talk about BS. These small town cops have nothing better to do.
Interesting. In most places it's 20 feet. But that's a "no duh, didn't you learn that one in drivers ed?" one.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto View Post
Something doesn't make sense, I have been looking on Google Maps. The point at which we are ESTIMATING the cop started following her to the road that she got pulled over on (When he blasted his sirens real quick) is no more then .2 miles. He says he was following her for a mile.

Something is not right here, I am going to go to the path (physically) at which she drove and see where the hell this could of happened, because this is not adding up. Most of Main St. is 40MPH too. I think it drops to 25 in a town, but we JUST hit that when he blared his sirens. And she must of been going around 35 miles an hour as her car was going pretty damn slow. Something is extremely fishy about this.

Helmetta is an EXTREMELY small town. No more then 2 miles across from one end point to another. Traveling on Main ST.

I wish my memory was better.
Bring photos of the speed limit signs and if they differ from what's on the ticket, move for the charge to be dismissed. The failure to stop and crossing the yellow line ones sound like BS.

When you go to court you'll meet with the prosecutor before you appear before the judge. The prosecutor will probably give you the same offer they give everyone else. Plead guilty to "improper driving" get zero points and pay the $450 or $500 fine. All other charges will be dropped.

Moral of story, if you do not live in Helmetta, do not drive through Helmetta. While the cop was following you he ran your plates. Once he saw you were not a resident of the town, he just had to wait for the slightest goof-up to nail you. The average driver commits a ticketable offense something like every six blocks. They don't have to pursue you very long to catch something. This town is famous for this. How they haven't appeared on the Fox 5 "Shame Shame Shame" report I cannot understand.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:28 PM

238 posts, read 1,504,981 times
Default Hi

Google "Helmetta nj traffic ticket scam". For ****s and giggles I did and all kinds of incrimidating information came up concerning their corrupt police department. I would go to every media outlet you can and expose the bastards.Here is just one of the stories I found.

A former police officer is suing the small New Jersey town that employed him, alleging that he was harassed and bullied on the job for being gay and that he and other officers were ordered to needlessly target motorists for arrest and citations in order to meet city budget quotas.
According to NJ.com, George Kosanovich is the third former police officer from Helmetta, NJ to sue the city on grounds that they were ordered to issue unnecessary citations in order to raise funds for the city budget or face the possibility of losing their jobs.
Kosanovich quit the Helmetta police force in July of 2012 after facing a months-long campaign of anti-gay harassment. Helmetta’s Mayor Nancy Martin allegedly began to ask other city and police department employees, “Is George gay?”

“There was no legitimate non-discriminatory reason Mayor Nancy Martin needed to know whether the Plaintiff was a homosexual,” said Kosanovich’s complaint against the city.
“Thereafter, (Kosanovich) was subjected to repeated acts of bullying, intimidation in the workplace, harassment, and frivolous disciplinary action which resulted in him being no longer able to tolerate his work environment,” the suit continued.
Furthermore, Kosanovich and other officers were on orders to “produce,” i.e., to issue at least three summonses per work shift in order to generate revenue. Officers were also ordered to target vehicles with out of town plates in order to keep from generating local difficulties for the mayor.
In the last two years, two other Helmetta police officers have filed suit after leaving the force, each alleging that the mayor has dedicated the police force to generating revenue more than protecting public safety.
According to NJ.com’s Lloyd Nelson, “An NJ.com analysis of police enforcement data in October 2013 found less than 1 percent of speeding tickets issued over a year and a half period were given to Helmetta residents. Indeed, Helmetta cops gave more tickets to Philadelphia residents than they gave to Helmetta residents. No major roads cut through the town.”

Old 09-14-2014, 10:35 PM

This just sucks all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey