Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 AM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycotherapist View Post
How is it illegal when I keep hearing about ppl adding a wall to create an extra room in their house/apt? If you google it, you'll see.

All I would be doing is taking one bedroom and divide it so that it is 1.5 bedrooms. Also, I don't know if this makes any difference, but we live in an apartment that is "within" a private house, it's not an apartment building. There's 2 other tenants that live there in different apartments besides us.
People do things that are illegal and dangerous all the time, and the mere fact that their acts can result in penalties does not seem to deter them from doing what they do. That is why you shouldn't base your plans on whether other people do something.

So, I will repeat that you should consult with the Office of Housing Inspection (or whatever they might call it in NYC) and/or with the Fire Prevention Bureau. Wouldn't you prefer to find out ahead of time if your plans might be a violation that would put people in danger and expose you and your landlord to fines?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 AM

53 posts, read 107,472 times
Why not look into Bayonne ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/re...e-nj.html?_r=0

I've been living here for 2 years now, and I don't want to move anymore...

I rented here for 1 year before I bought my cozy house.

As a young professional work in downtown Manhattan, 45 minutes door to door daily commute is very reasonable for me. (my work location is located close to the WTC path station. )

Most of my friends & young colleagues lives in fancy areas like Water Front, NJ or even in downtown Manhattan and pay insane amount of rent (like 2x or 3x more than my monthly mortgage payment). They like to troll me for living in a "un-cool blue-collar town" like Bayonne.. But then I troll them back with "Hey, you guys are still RENTING while I OWN my house as well as a 2014 Mercedes which I park it in my own garage with the fact that you guys still use ZIPCAR !!" (LOL)

I used to live near the Grove St path station, where I had a 600sqft 1bd apartment for nearly 2k a month. The life there was okay, yet apart from being close to the Path Station, which means faster commute, I didn't really get anything partially worth for the amount of extra money I paid. Well, nice restaurant and bars if you want to count them as well.

As for the OP, I suggest you look into rentals at E45st ~ E20St on Avenue E, Bayonne.
You'll find lots of place within your budget as well as a much safer and family-friendly community than most parts of Jersey City, not to mention the easy commute to Manhattan.

Last edited by kagamine; 09-16-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 02:42 PM

160 posts, read 300,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagamine View Post
Why not look into Bayonne ?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/re...e-nj.html?_r=0

I've been living here for 2 years now, and I don't want to move anymore...

I rented here for 1 year before I bought my cozy house.

As a young professional work in downtown Manhattan, 45 minutes door to door daily commute is very reasonable for me. (my work location is located close to the WTC path station. )

Most of my friends & young colleagues lives in fancy areas like Water Front, NJ or even in downtown Manhattan and pay insane amount of rent (like 2x or 3x more than my monthly mortgage payment). They like to troll me for living in a "un-cool blue-collar town" like Bayonne.. But then I troll them back with "Hey, you guys are still RENTING while I OWN my house as well as a 2014 Mercedes which I park it in my own garage with the fact that you guys still use ZIPCAR !!" (LOL)

I used to live near the Grove St path station, where I had a 600sqft 1bd apartment for nearly 2k a month. The life there was okay, yet apart from being close to the Path Station, which means faster commute, I didn't really get anything partially worth for the amount of extra money I paid. Well, nice restaurant and bars if you want to count them as well.

As for the OP, I suggest you look into rentals at E45st ~ E20St on Avenue E, Bayonne.
You'll find lots of place within your budget as well as a much safer and family-friendly community than most parts of Jersey City, not to mention the easy commute to Manhattan.
Was this post solely put to brag?

I live in Bayonne and love it too but I don't see what your Mercedes has to do with anything. Also given the areas they commute to I wouldn't recommend Bayonne to them at all. Bayonne to the Bronx sounds like a bad dream. Any rental savings they might get from moving here would be shredded by the insane cost of commuting so far away from work.

Also I used to commute to Manhattan (Chinatown then Flatiron) from Bayonne and I wouldn't exactly call it easy. An hour is not all that easy of a commute in my opinion. I now work at Exchangle Place in JC and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 09-20-2014, 04:27 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
There is a Rent Law in NJ that children of different sexes must have their own separate bedrooms. So check into this if you have a male and female child before moving to rent in NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey