Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 PM

21 posts, read 21,472 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,

I will be moving to NJ due to job change. My wife works in Princeton & I will be working in Somerset area. I have a small kid as well.

I am interested in buying a house around/between Princeton-Somerset area.

From my initial serach I realized that houses are very expensive in these area (around $1Million).

I dont have a high budget ($500K-$700K) & open to old houses built after year 2000 & new construction as well.

I will highly appreictae if anyone of you can adivsie me about the right area (good schools, safety plus within my price range)

Looking froward to your responses.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 01:51 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family66 View Post
Hello Everybody,

I will be moving to NJ due to job change. My wife works in Princeton & I will be working in Somerset area. I have a small kid as well.

I am interested in buying a house around/between Princeton-Somerset area.

From my initial serach I realized that houses are very expensive in these area (around $1Million).

I dont have a high budget ($500K-$700K) & open to old houses built after year 2000 & new construction as well.

I will highly appreictae if anyone of you can adivsie me about the right area (good schools, safety plus within my price range)

Looking froward to your responses.

Thanks in advance.

You consider anything built after 2000 to be old?

How many bedrooms are you looking for?

If you're moving from outside of NJ it may be helpful to rent for a year & take that time to familiarize yourself with the area. Visit different towns & find out where you feel comfortable.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,047,431 times
Princeton is very safe and has a stellar school district. Be aware that one of Princetons' zip codes (08540) is shared with West Windsor, Franklin, Montgomery and South Brunswick, so make sure when looking at houses they are actually in Princeton.

You might also look in Pennington NJ, good schools and pretty easy commutes for both of you.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:46 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Princeton is very safe and has a stellar school district. Be aware that one of Princetons' zip codes (08540) is shared with West Windsor, Franklin, Montgomery and South Brunswick, so make sure when looking at houses they are actually in Princeton.

You might also look in Pennington NJ, good schools and pretty easy commutes for both of you.

Good luck.

Good advice because the mailing address often doesn't match up with the town you actually live in, nor the school district for that address. For example, part of West Windsor has Princeton mailing addresses, but are in the West Windsor-Plainsboro school district, not Princeton.

WW-P is a highly rated district, BTW.

The one thing that I don't like about Pennington is the sparse public transporation options.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
2000 is an old house? Mine must be ancient! You can get a decent 3 bedroom in your budget. I agree you should look at west Windsor, plainsboro, and princeton. You can also look at south brunswick. Robbinsville is another option but a bit farther south.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,620 times
I would go with South Brunswick, Plainsboro, West Windsor, Cranbury or Monroe

Old 09-23-2014, 07:27 PM

180 posts, read 344,751 times
Definitely check out Hillsborough too - zip code 08844. If you want a newer home in your price range I'd look at Country Classics, but there are other new subdivisions in your price range as well.

I would say Hillsborough is a little closer to Somerset then Princeton, but not much. Its almost a half-way point depends on traffic and where in Princeton you are going.

The commute from West Windsor/Plainsboro/Monroe/Cranbury is great for Princeton but not so great for Somerset.

I would say your best bets for a decent commute for both Princeton/Somerset would be South Brunswick or Hillsborough and I think you'll be happy with the schools and housing choices in your price range for both places. The school ratings are similar for both places, too. OH - Montgomery Township is another option! Definitely check out Hidden Estates and Country Classics over there too. You'll be a little further from Somerset and a little closer to Princeton over there but the schools are GREAT. Montgomery has different areas - stick with Skillman and Belle Mead sections if you don't want to stray too far from Somerset.........

Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 PM

545 posts, read 1,099,838 times
Check out Somerville, its near Hillsborough, which was mentioned a lot. Somerville is the urban hub of Somerset County and is going through a revival. Many luxury apartments being put up downtown. And a train that goes straight to NYC

Old 09-23-2014, 08:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,047,431 times
One of the best pieces of advice we got when we moved here was to "stay on the side of Rte 1 that you work on".

You are both working on the West side of Rte 1, the Princeton, Somerset, Hillsborough, Pennington side of Rte 1. They all have very good schools.

We both have offices on the East Side of Rte 1 (West Windsor, Plainsboro, South Brunswick, Cranbury, Monroe side). All very good towns with good schools but across Rte 1 from Princeton/Somerset).

I now have to cross over Rte 1 from the East side into Princeton (the west side). I feel like a total whiner for my 30-40 minute 5 mile commute over Rte 1. during the rush hours.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:06 PM

901 posts, read 2,247,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
One of the best pieces of advice we got when we moved here was to "stay on the side of Rte 1 that you work on".

You are both working on the West side of Rte 1, the Princeton, Somerset, Hillsborough, Pennington side of Rte 1. They all have very good schools.

We both have offices on the East Side of Rte 1 (West Windsor, Plainsboro, South Brunswick, Cranbury, Monroe side). All very good towns with good schools but across Rte 1 from Princeton/Somerset).

I now have to cross over Rte 1 from the East side into Princeton (the west side). I feel like a total whiner for my 30-40 minute 5 mile commute over Rte 1. during the rush hours.
Yeah that's a good point. With all of that said I would pinpoint Hillsborough or Montgomery as the best choices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey