U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 AM

110 posts, read 144,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcmommy View Post
Where do I start with Brick...well, I'm going to be brutally honest here, I will likely offend someone. As certain groups of people have taken over Lakewood, those that were in Lakewood have been pushed over the borders. Also, Lakewood has declined even more, with increasing gang activity, so that has long since been in Brick and is getting worse. There was a stabbing at one a gas station on Burnt Tavern a month or so ago. Break ins scattered around the town. Most crimes seem to be drug motivated.

Also there is a trend of a certain group buying up cheap housing areas in Brick, renting then super cheap and not maintaining those places or tenant quality...all in an effort to move more people out of Lakewood into Brick to the make Lakewood more available. Apparently this has been going on for many years but in recent years the effects are really becoming evident.

The school system has declined, though I'm not sure if this is a funding issue. I know (have spent countless time looking up data) that as the increase in low income people renting happens in Brick, the schools are over burden with more children that are receiving various services such as free lunch or ESL. Brick schools do not provide text books. I have a child in school. Reading and Math are online, science and social studies, the school cannot afford text books. No print outs are given to the kids. The teacher reads from one big book. I went to school in Toms River and we had textbooks for crying out loud...

My thought on NJ towns, and this may be totally wrong, this is my theory...that years ago it was known that some of the safest neighborhoods were ones were the mob had a presence. I was told that back in the 60s that mob made it clear that no crime causing folks were to live in Brick, and this was enforced violently. As the mob is no longer what it used to be. street gangs have moved in where the mob used to be a presence. NJ is known for having some of the most dangerous cities not too far from some of the once safest neighborhoods, and from what I have read about history, this is because of the mob. No more strong mob presence like it used to be years ago, no more safe neighborhoods. But that's just my theory...
Yeah, knowing the types of folks who are in Lakewood, I know who you are talking about. I am surprised low income folks can actually afford to live in Brick. That's upsetting; Brick will most certainly fall from grace as one of New Jersey's safest. My theory is that those who have built NJ and kept it sustainable are no longer around due to a) toxic politics/cost of living or b) just dying off. It's very sad what's happening.

I would imagine you're not the only horrified resident. What happened to Lakewood's Jewish community?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 10:15 AM

453 posts, read 1,602,786 times
One suggestion is to pick up or subscribe to the Ocean Star weekly paper. You'll notice that both Point Pleasants are very much "two-party towns" with a lot of heated political debate about many things, some of which gets seems to get a bit nasty. I don't know all of the issues and who is right or who is wrong, but it would make me want to know a whole lot more before settling down in either one.

Manasquan seems like a place I'd seriously consider if looking in that area.

Rhys

Old 09-29-2014, 03:12 PM

What about looking further south in Ocean County, like Barnegat or Lacey?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:08 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,680,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcmommy View Post
my theory...that years ago it was known that some of the safest neighborhoods were ones were the mob had a presence. I was told that back in the 60s that mob made it clear that no crime causing folks were to live in Brick, and this was enforced violently. As the mob is no longer what it used to be. street gangs have moved in where the mob used to be a presence.
Really? The Mob in Brick? Never heard of this. Anybody?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
What happened to Lakewood's Jewish community?
The Hasids are buying everything in town & knocking it down to build more housing for themselves. That pushes the minorities out. Some are bringing their version of urban fun to Brick.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post

The Hasids are buying everything in town & knocking it down to build more housing for themselves. That pushes the minorities out. Some are bringing their version of urban fun to Brick.
I read up on the failure of Lakewood's public schools and that explained the social engineering project to make it some sort of Israel in NJ reaching absurd population highs and netting senior taxpayers to lessen the burden of the failing public schools. Crazy stuff. Now it's no surprise the undesirables are getting pushed into Brick. Not good, Brick needs to deflect them elsewhere to keep its reputation up.

Maybe Freehold will take them?

Old 10-06-2014, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 8,979 times
Point Pleasant Boro has been going the way of Brick Township for years. Point Pleasant Beach and Manasquan are sure bets. A small house in these places will always appreciate in value because they will always be places where people are willing to come in and tear down your cape and build a new summer home. You used to be able to get a house for under 400K in Bay Head. Now that Bay Head has become totally unaffordable people are spilling over into Point Beach. this is highly unlikely to happen in Point Boro because it does not have the charm of the old homes or the walkable downtown.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:05 AM

10 posts, read 17,416 times
Quote:
Surely, you jest...

Quote:
Nail on head. And while everyone knows it, it seems nothing can be done to stop it.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:21 AM

10 posts, read 17,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by essexcountyarchitect View Post
Point Pleasant Boro has been going the way of Brick Township for years. Point Pleasant Beach and Manasquan are sure bets. A small house in these places will always appreciate in value because they will always be places where people are willing to come in and tear down your cape and build a new summer home. You used to be able to get a house for under 400K in Bay Head. Now that Bay Head has become totally unaffordable people are spilling over into Point Beach. this is highly unlikely to happen in Point Boro because it does not have the charm of the old homes or the walkable downtown.
This is something we have thought about and well, noticed as well. That Point Boro is not far behind Brick. The issue with Point Beach, is as a local, I shutter at living in a beach town. Manasquan does have some areas that appear to stay livable during the summer. Do these areas exist in Point Beach? I lived in Ortley many years ago. A beautiful town, but holy hell in the summer. At this point in my life I want to be far far far from all the tourists, sorry. We had considered Jackson for this reason, but we are unsure of the direction it is heading as well. I realize they have built beautiful homes in the recent years, but my memory of it is that it is the land of sticks and pineys, though it seems that has changed.

Point Beach brings back memories of streets clogged with street parking tourists, loud partiers on vacation all the time, and general unpleasantness. Houses are all squished together, everyone packed in there like sardines, tiny yards, horrible parking, always up your neighbor's rear. We are even hesitant of the Boro for this reason. We are the kind of people that like our space from people. If we chose say Manasquan, while there are homes that can provide this, our current price range puts us more in the smaller lot of land category, since we will not live on the beach side of Union Ave. We will only move to the inland side bordering Wall. We cannot stay sane close to the beach in the summer. But again, if we are away from the beach there, it appears that area still maintains a family atmosphere all year rather than the summer annoyance and transient crowd.

We have considered Toms River, because we might actually be able to get a home that is not sandwiched in with the others. Only Point Beach and Boro have much better schools, hands down. A big reason we are fleeing from Brick is the school system. Its more horrid than it appears from the outside. And from the outside its not rated well, however we did not think it would be this awful. It appears to only be getting worse by the minute.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,323,545 times
i grew up in bay head, wall and manasquan. can't say enough good things about all but prefer manasquan > wall slightly.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:06 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,323,545 times
also a lot of brick (ive heard it called bricktucky) is becoming awful. same with point boro, probably due to proximity.

heck, even belmar has its sketchier areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey