U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 17,427 times

Advertisements

We are currently in Brick. We grew up in ocean county and moved here with the memory of the safest neighborhood and great schools. Call it what you will but that ship has sailed for Brick and we are bailing ASAP before its gets even harder to sell our home. We have young kids and one on the way, total of 4 when all is said and done. Financially we will have the option to either move to neighboring point Boro, and find a comfortable home, or Manasquan or wall but be in a very small home, it's hard to even find a 3 bedroom in our price range but its possible. Or we could get a larger home back in ocean county in toms river.

We are concerned that neighboring point pleasant will head in the direction of brick in years to come although for now the schools are much better and the town seems to not be in as direr straights as brick. We feel a town like Manasquan would hold its value the best, though I suppose there's no guarantee. I'm not very familar with Monmouth but it has been said to me areas like belmar that were once nice are declining...I have no idea if this is true. We are looking for a town that has excellent schools, is safe, with a community atmosphere.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 PM

153 posts, read 178,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcmommy View Post
We are currently in Brick. We grew up in ocean county and moved here with the memory of the safest neighborhood and great schools. Call it what you will but that ship has sailed for Brick and we are bailing ASAP before its gets even harder to sell our home. We have young kids and one on the way, total of 4 when all is said and done. Financially we will have the option to either move to neighboring point Boro, and find a comfortable home, or Manasquan or wall but be in a very small home, it's hard to even find a 3 bedroom in our price range but its possible. Or we could get a larger home back in ocean county in toms river.

We are concerned that neighboring point pleasant will head in the direction of brick in years to come although for now the schools are much better and the town seems to not be in as direr straights as brick. We feel a town like Manasquan would hold its value the best, though I suppose there's no guarantee. I'm not very familar with Monmouth but it has been said to me areas like belmar that were once nice are declining...I have no idea if this is true. We are looking for a town that has excellent schools, is safe, with a community atmosphere.

Thoughts?
You just described Belmar.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:55 PM

181 posts, read 1,058,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
also In Belmar be careful You could be sent to Asbury Park HS as well as they have a split arrangement with Manasquan. You should also look at Spring Lake Heights as well nice town and may find something affordable.Brielle and Manasquan may have some homes that are not that expensive as well. Sea Girt and Spring Lake are very expensive towns to buy a home in

Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM

3,245 posts, read 4,682,980 times
Quote:
currently in Brick. ... move to neighboring point Boro
Point Pleasant Beach = yes. Point Pleasant Boro - No.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
Thank you. Growing up in ocean county though I had family in Manasquan, I was always under the impression that all those town were highly sought after, safe, community atmosphere towns; Belmar, brielle, manaquan, spring lake etc.

And recently as we started looking, I have been told that Belmar has declining schools due to a change in the neighborhood...?? Our neighbors who moved from Belmar to brick (why??) said the schools were declining due to, well to be honest, more low income families moving in...But it is my understanding that all beach neighborhoods have transient renters during the winter. At least that's how it is in the ocean county beach neighborhoods. I would think even towns like Manasquan would have that in the beach area during the winter. We are looking for areas that are primarily home owners that are concerned with long term investment into the town and schools.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpat55 View Post
also In Belmar be careful You could be sent to Asbury Park HS as well as they have a split arrangement with Manasquan. You should also look at Spring Lake Heights as well nice town and may find something affordable.Brielle and Manasquan may have some homes that are not that expensive as well. Sea Girt and Spring Lake are very expensive towns to buy a home in
Yes, I remember there being a town that half the kids go to Asbury. There is no way we can pay for private school for 4 kids. A big motivator in this move is to find a town with excellent public schools. Other wise we could buy a very nice home for he same cost here in brick, and just send the kids to private school. If we only have one child, maybe...

Old 09-27-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Point Pleasant Beach = yes. Point Pleasant Boro - No.

Yes our concern is point boro is so close to brick that how much are we really moving. Ugh. I grew up in this county and I remember these areas were once such nice areas. I know everyone has their opinion on what a declining neighborhood is, but my husband has expressed to me that point boro is only a few steps behind brick. We don't want to be looking to move again in 5 years.

We've thought, buy the small house in a nice town now, and we can always buy a bigger house in the future in the same neighborhood (so no switching schools or towns again). Our kids are young and I am not working, but when I go back to work we will be in a much different situation financially. But we want to get the kids started in better schools/town now.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:20 PM

12,907 posts, read 11,760,665 times
Actually, I'm not even sure about Point Beach. I have family living there and there is stuff going on within the town they don't like. Certain people they see around, stuff like that. I think it has declined, personally. I don't like what I see either, especially on the boardwalk in the summer. It's become more like Seaside Heights with the summer crowd than it needs to... and I don't just mean rowdy partiers trying to emulate Jersey Shore.

It's definitely not undesirable, but don't think it hasn't seen changes.

Manasquan would be my top pick. I'm not crazy about Wall. Just a personal preference, no real reason. I really like Manasquan, and so does my family who lives in Pt. Pleasant Beach!

Old 09-28-2014, 11:45 PM

110 posts, read 144,767 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
What's happening to Brick? I thought Brick was the poster child for a good neighborhood in NJ. It seems as though Jersey as a whole is just slowly running out of decent neighborhoods; sadly mine is also on the list to get axed soon.

Last edited by Maxwell03; 09-29-2014 at 12:03 AM..

Old 09-29-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
What's happening to Brick? I thought Brick was the poster child for a good neighborhood in NJ. It seems as though Jersey as a whole is just slowly running out of decent neighborhoods; sadly mine is also on the list to get axed soon.
Where do I start with Brick...well, I'm going to be brutally honest here, I will likely offend someone. As certain groups of people have taken over Lakewood, those that were in Lakewood have been pushed over the borders. Also, Lakewood has declined even more, with increasing gang activity, so that has long since been in Brick and is getting worse. There was a stabbing at one a gas station on Burnt Tavern a month or so ago. Break ins scattered around the town. Most crimes seem to be drug motivated.

Also there is a trend of a certain group buying up cheap housing areas in Brick, renting then super cheap and not maintaining those places or tenant quality...all in an effort to move more people out of Lakewood into Brick to the make Lakewood more available. Apparently this has been going on for many years but in recent years the effects are really becoming evident.

The school system has declined, though I'm not sure if this is a funding issue. I know (have spent countless time looking up data) that as the increase in low income people renting happens in Brick, the schools are over burden with more children that are receiving various services such as free lunch or ESL. Brick schools do not provide text books. I have a child in school. Reading and Math are online, science and social studies, the school cannot afford text books. No print outs are given to the kids. The teacher reads from one big book. I went to school in Toms River and we had textbooks for crying out loud...

My thought on NJ towns, and this may be totally wrong, this is my theory...that years ago it was known that some of the safest neighborhoods were ones were the mob had a presence. I was told that back in the 60s that mob made it clear that no crime causing folks were to live in Brick, and this was enforced violently. As the mob is no longer what it used to be. street gangs have moved in where the mob used to be a presence. NJ is known for having some of the most dangerous cities not too far from some of the once safest neighborhoods, and from what I have read about history, this is because of the mob. No more strong mob presence like it used to be years ago, no more safe neighborhoods. But that's just my theory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey