U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,354 times
Default This will help you...

Tad- I gotta tell ya, you'll prob get more outta my post than all the rest combined so far. Why? 1. I lived in Summit for 4 years... and it just happens that I lived in the part of town you are discussing. 2. I will be blunt, perhaps to a fault (not in my opinion, so who cares, right?)

OK, first... you have argued yourself in a circle. On one hand, you say the "area" you are looking at is not so desireable, but then you express concern over the poor performance of the children in the elementary school in that part of town (By the way, Summit is not Jersey City; it's not THAT big...it takes 5 min to drive through it, and that is only b/c of traffic and stop lights). Maybe the school is not the problem. Perhaps the students are not the best. PLUS, anyone who really knows the town knows that a HIGH percentage of families in Summit send their kids to private school. This in turn has a significant effect on any statistical evaluation of schools in the area. It's like the chicken/ egg debate. Are the kids of below average intellect, thus making the school look bad, or is the school sub-par? This is not a subject to be addressed on anyone unfamiliar with the town.

The truth is, Summit has excellent public schools. The section of town you refer to as a far higher level of diversity relative to other sections of town, but really, anyone with half a brain knows that there are no "bad" parts of Summit. Do a Google search on the town. It has actually made some top 100 list in terms of environment, safety, being family-friendly, etc. The Southeast "quadrant" I guess we'll call it ends about 1/2 a mile from the front gates of Baltusrol Golf Club. That's not what I would deem an undesirable area. The truth is that Summit is an ultra-high class community, with high real estate prices and some ridiculous, huge, beautiful homes that are basically small mansions. Anyone who belittles the part of town you refer to is just an idiot with his nose in the air. Understand, though, that a house in Summit will cost you simply b/c of the name of the town.

The person who told you to look for a better school system had no idea what he/ she was talking about; The lady who tried steering you to Colt's Neck appears to be a real estate agent, and a low class one at that. Either way, she also made a retarded statement, comparing Colt's Neck to Summit..Different areas, different proximity to the city, different transportation, etc.

The area is fine, BUT...here is what I would do...Check out New Providence and Berkeley Heights. They are the next 2 towns west of Summit and are very nice, but you will get a much better bang for your buck. And believe me, all those towns have great schools. If you have any more questions, my email is mrbc0023@hotmail.

I am only on this site to promo my New Years Eve part, but I was curious when i saw your thread and hate to see people get advice from clueless individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 AM

1,447 posts, read 3,277,299 times
Oh please, some of this is just common sense.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM

12 posts, read 85,952 times
Thanks for the advice and Happy New Year to everyone!

Old 12-29-2007, 08:09 PM

BCBCNY: I am not trying to belittle that part of Summit at all. I know little about the area. Not being one of those folks who can afford the mansions you described, I just want to know as much as possible about Summit before we put down years of savings.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:47 PM

A town like this will have schools that are pretty decent to above average but if you wish to find "the cream of the crop" elem school that's your perogative. I am not going to make a moral judgement on it. It goes without saying that you would get a little more for your money elsewhere.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Went to Summit again to do a bit more investigation. The Southeastern part of the town definitely looks and feels different from other parts of the town. If you go to Zillow.com, there is a marked difference in home values between the Southeastern part than the Northern part of the town. This is not to say that the Southeastern part is "bad." Not at all. An analogy might help: Parts of Yonkers and White Plains have Scarsdale zip code, but it is not the "real" Scarsdale, i.e., the village of Scarsdale; However, Yonkers and White Plains are still fantastic places to live. In fact, the Southeastern part might be a better place for kids to grown up in because there seems to be a lot "real" people living there as we saw a lot of lower middle class houses which we do not see in the Northern part. The best part is that, no matter which part of the town you live in, your children will go to Summit JH and Summit HS, which appear to be excellent schools.

Southeastern Summit is probably not the place for people like us, who admittedly are obessed with education. My daughter is attending Trinity Preschool in downtown now, and we do not want a dramatic drop in the quality of schooling she is getting. We like Sourtheastern summit, but cannot decide whether we can like Jefferson ES.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 PM

Like I said, if education is that paramount to you than go for the gold. Who am I to judge? I did not come from a background like that myself but if you put that at number 1 and choose another place it is not a reflection on the town or a specific section of town. You are just very choosy.

Some people on here are very turned off by wealthy areas and will bash. I'm not a fan but I don't have a need to down those areas and use it as an opportunity to preach. It always comes back to examining what is most important to you.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,081,623 times
If you are obsessed with education, why not move to one of the top 5 school districts in NJ? Summit schools are excellent but if you are put off by the test results at the elementary school, why not go for gold?

Old 12-31-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
If you are obsessed with education, why not move to one of the top 5 school districts in NJ? Summit schools are excellent but if you are put off by the test results at the elementary school, why not go for gold?
UKOK -- I agree with you. It probably makes sense to look at areas like Chatham, Milburn, or Tenafly.

To those who might read my postings as a putdown on Southeastern Summit: Southeastern Summit is a GREAT place. All I am saying is that it does not fit our needs, which likely differ from those of many other buyers. (I was hoping to learn something about the town via this forum, and do not intend to offend.) In my opinion, I think Summit can go toe to toe with places like Scarsdale and Rye. (It probably is Scarsdale or Rye, minus a little fewer private country clubs and top notch public schools). If, unlike us, you are not working class and do not need or intend to use the public schools/ or if you are working class but happy with the schools, I would say that Summit might just be the perfect place for you.

Last edited by tapdogly; 12-31-2007 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-31-2007, 10:55 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,081,623 times
Also look at Glen Ridge and Mountain Lakes. Best of luck...it's hard to make the right choice for you family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey