Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:44 PM

110 posts, read 175,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I grew up in SJ in the tri-county area across from Philly and everyone here either has a Philly accent or just a general once. I know the rumors about the supposed Deep South Jersey accent but have never heard it in person.

On the other hand, if you take NJ Rt. 40 to AC, you will see a rodeo along the way, so who knows.
That area is much more Northeastern/cosmopolitan and those in far southern Jersey don't even consider that really South Jersey. To them, South Jersey is no traffic, open pastures, and pine trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 AM

65 posts, read 125,825 times
Cumberland County

Old 11-24-2014, 06:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,421,471 times
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
OMG - you've never heard it? I went to college with students from Gloucester County and you would seriously think they were from the 'south'- not VA, more like Alabama! Here is an example - when my friend kept asking me for a "tail" I had no clue what she wanted, so I made her spell it. She actually wanted a t-o-w-e-l. Its definitely a south west NJ thing; I think its kind of cute - both my male/female friends from that area had the same accents

Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Midwest Noobie View Post
Every so often in the endless "Are Maryland and Delaware Southern states" threads I see reference to a native New Jersey "southern accent" around the Cape May area. I have tried to listen for various samples of this accent but never hear it. The only accents Ive heard from the state are the "Tony Soprano" type and GenAm.

Does anyone know of a site where I could hear a sample of this native New Jersey "southern accent". Im fascinated by this.
There used to be a video online of the Deep South Jersey accent. It is classified as being very similar to a Tidewater Virginia accent. Most of the people in South Jersey share an accent with Philadelphia. That accent extends to include Baltimore. It's called the MidAtlantic accent. There are minor differences between the Philadelphia & Baltimore versions. That accent shares a lot of similarities with accents going down into the NC piedmont, which is not twangy.

Unlike most of the east coast, Philadelphia & Baltimore retained the "r" sound. The biggest difference between the MidAtlantic accent & a full-blown southern accent in the NC piedmont is glide deletion in a long "I". However you do hear it occasionally in some words like fire engine (farn-gin)

It doesn't mean that South Jersey is the South. It's the MidAtlantic.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:39 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
There used to be a video online of the Deep South Jersey accent. It is classified as being very similar to a Tidewater Virginia accent. Most of the people in South Jersey share an accent with Philadelphia. That accent extends to include Baltimore. It's called the MidAtlantic accent. There are minor differences between the Philadelphia & Baltimore versions. That accent shares a lot of similarities with accents going down into the NC piedmont, which is not twangy.

Unlike most of the east coast, Philadelphia & Baltimore retained the "r" sound. The biggest difference between the MidAtlantic accent & a full-blown southern accent in the NC piedmont is glide deletion in a long "I". However you do hear it occasionally in some words like fire engine (farn-gin)

It doesn't mean that South Jersey is the South. It's the MidAtlantic.
Yes, I think it is Virginia. It's a very soft accent--not blatant. Certainly, not everyone in Salem and Cumberland have that accent; there are transplants there, too. Still, the lifers don't sound like Philadelphians.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Yes, I think it is Virginia. It's a very soft accent--not blatant. Certainly, not everyone in Salem and Cumberland have that accent; there are transplants there, too. Still, the lifers don't sound like Philadelphians.
I've seen mention of that accent a few times over the years in the Inquirer. It was always compared to Tidewater Virginia. the video that I found had a man speaking. I think he was from Woodstown.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
Cape May is cosmopolitan and developed. You will find some funny accents in Salem/Cumberland Counties and back road neighborhoods in the Pine Barrens. Not quite southern, but you'll hear a little drawl.

I have seen Confederate flags on staff poles in these areas.
I had a neighbor in Cherry Hill who flew the stars & bars & a US flag on twin poles on all holidays.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:35 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
I grew up surrounded by old hound dog men from different rural parts of the state, but my family is from the Trenton area and I went to a private school that had a bunch of international students who aimed for more standard pronunciations or boarding students from different US regions. My accent shifts all over the place and was constantly evolving as I was growing up. I've found that I tend to tilt closer to whatever accent the person I'm speaking with has, which can be embarrassing if someone thinks I'm mimicking them. It sometimes shifts from Hillbilly to Sopranos in just a few sentences. But my father's friends spoke one way, my mother's family spoke another way and my classmates spoke yet another way.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM

110 posts, read 175,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I had a neighbor in Cherry Hill who flew the stars & bars & a US flag on twin poles on all holidays.
That's also quite a common sight in Gloucester.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
That's also quite a common sight in Gloucester.
I know, but people who aren't familiar with South Jersey but know that Cherry Hill is urbanized wouldn't think that you could see it in Cherry Hill.

The stars & bars gained popularity when the southern counties tried to secede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey