Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 12:48 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
BINGO! This statement right here is truly the beauty of the internet. It's the one medium that gives the ultimate platform to the guy (or girl, in this case) who is soooooooo much smarter than the rest of us, and if we would only listen!!! Like you're the ONE PERSON in the entire country who doesn't "blindly listen" to the President, the media, Congress, etc...and you're doing us all a favor by trying to shake us out of the trance we are in. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight... Thank you so much! I had no idea that I was simply an automaton marching to the orders of "the administration" all these years. WOW! I feel like Neo when he was freed from the Matrix! QUICK!!! Someone get JerseyGirl415 to the White House situation room right away!!! SHE'S GOING TO SAVE US ALL!!!
You're a bully. Get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You keep saying that you can catch Ebola from hand rails and doorknobs. Unless the patient is already showing symptoms, he is not going to leave infectious material on surfaces like that.

All I have read about the ambulance is that it was pulled out of service after the run to transport Duncan. The EMS crew were aware that he might have Ebola, and they use universal precautions anyway. Ambulances are disinfected after every patient anyway.

North Texas EMS agencies more vigilant than ever about Ebola | Dallas Morning News
YES FROM A PATIENT WHO IS SHOWING SYMPTOMS. Please read what I am saying. I never said otherwise: I have always been talking about someone who is showing symptoms. You can catch it from surfaces from a person who is showing symptoms. A fever is a symptom, it's one of the earliest along with fatigue and muscle aches - which seems a lot like the flu, doesn't it?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:43 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You're a bully. Get a life.
and you're hysterical. calm down.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Indeed.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I'm not hysterical. Why do you assume I am? Because I know and report facts?

I have a differing opinion than the rest of you on the subject of containment of this disease and what I believe should be done. Get over it. No need to be rude and condescending about it like certain people.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:35 PM

221 posts, read 379,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not hysterical. Why do you assume I am? Because I know and report facts?

I have a differing opinion than the rest of you on the subject of containment of this disease and what I believe should be done. Get over it. No need to be rude and condescending about it like certain people.
I will consider what someone wrote about the virus having infected a very tiny percentage of the whole African population and that it is in extremely poor places. Nonetheless, it seems to be an extremely strong virus if the journalist and Spanish nursing assistant got it. Hazmat suits don't give me a 'don't worry about it' vibe. These are necessary precautions for ONE PERSON who is now dead from it in Dallas! Imagine 5 more sick people across this country that we don't know about just milling around. Guess what? When they are sick enough they will head to our hospitals and the scourge will begin unless everyone is dressed like an astronaut and disinfects every surface the sick person touched at home and in public. It WILL actually seem like a zombie film.

The uninfected in Africa are probably that way because they have nothing to do with the areas it is spreading from. However, just as it has slowly spread to other countries in Africa, direct travelers from the affected parts to the U.S. could continue the cycle over here. No one said it would happen overnight. How will overwhelming precautions in hospitals affect their ability to serve every day patients coming in suffering from regular conditions? Won't it bring ambulances and everything to a crawl? Also, if there is a nursing shortage now...who wants to become a nurse if he/she may have to contend with the dreaded Ebola on the front lines? Not me, that's for sure.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
I will consider what someone wrote about the virus having infected a very tiny percentage of the whole African population and that it is in extremely poor places. Nonetheless, it seems to be an extremely strong virus if the journalist and Spanish nursing assistant got it. Hazmat suits don't give me a 'don't worry about it' vibe. These are necessary precautions for ONE PERSON who is now dead from it in Dallas! Imagine 5 more sick people across this country that we don't know about just milling around. Guess what? When they are sick enough they will head to our hospitals and the scourge will begin unless everyone is dressed like an astronaut and disinfects every surface the sick person touched at home and in public. It WILL actually seem like a zombie film.

The uninfected in Africa are probably that way because they have nothing to do with the areas it is spreading from. However, just as it has slowly spread to other countries in Africa, direct travelers from the affected parts to the U.S. could continue the cycle over here. No one said it would happen overnight. How will overwhelming precautions in hospitals affect their ability to serve every day patients coming in suffering from regular conditions? Won't it bring ambulances and everything to a crawl?
Sorry - you're not allowed to think of the virus's potential here, you're obviously a crazy hysterical conservative "chicken little" who is being an alarmist. No need to worry so much, Obama and the CDC said everything would be totally fine and we wouldn't see many cases here, so no worries, calm down.

Don't start thinking logically, now. It's bad for ya. Don't you dare even think about questioning this nation's ability to handle this crisis, including inside hospitals.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:48 PM

221 posts, read 379,669 times
You're right. It 'is' only logical. Banning travel from the affected areas in Africa to here doesn't sound extreme. It doesn't have to include areas that are not presently seeing cases...just the hot spots. Otherwise, aren't we just giving an open door policy to Ebola?

Look at this: Gambia has more sense than the U.S. and Europe

APCtimes Online Sierra Leone News

Gambians will live. We will die. Keep reading the African newspapers: http://www.onlinenewspapers.com/africa-newspapers.htm

This article confirms exactly what I suspected will happen here due to a broken health system caused by an Ebola scare:
http://www.liberianobserver.com/news...gence%E2%80%99

Last edited by FlowerpotFlowers; 10-08-2014 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You're right. It 'is' only logical. Banning travel from the affected areas in Africa to here doesn't sound extreme. It doesn't have to include areas that are not presently seeing cases...just the hot spots. Otherwise, aren't we just giving an open door policy to Ebola?

Look at this: Gambia has more sense than the U.S. and Europe

APCtimes Online Sierra Leone News

Gambians will live. We will die. Keep reading the African newspapers: African Newspapers : Newspapers from Africa : African News

This article confirms exactly what I suspected will happen here due to a broken health system caused by an Ebola scare:
Amidst Broken Health System Non-Ebola Deaths Due to
You don't have to convince me. I already think that stopping travel is not only necessary but entirely possible.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:29 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:

Gambians will live. We will die.
If those words aren't an example of hysteria or hyperbole--or both--then I don't know how else to describe your reaction.

In today's Star-Ledger, conservative op-ed columnist Paul Mulshine weighs-in on this situation, and--as usual--he introduces thoughtful and intelligent analysis into the discussion:

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...special-report

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey