Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:53 AM

108 posts, read 166,733 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Bergen County with my family. Considering Teaneck, Hackensack or Bergenfield. I am looking for a good school district that offers a diverse community as I am AA and would prefer my children not be the only ones in their class. Must have a good school system. Where do you recommend, I am looking to stay under 400k with taxes $9,500 or lower? I need at least 3 bedrooms with enough room to expand to add a fourth or 5th bedroom if needed. Would like a nice walkable downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 06:18 AM

8 posts, read 15,598 times
I would avoid Hackensack as the public school system is not very good. Bergenfield is not bad and i would also look into Maywood which is next to Hackensack but has solid schools. The problem though is when your kids go to high school they must attend Hackensack high which i would not recommend. Also look into Dumont which is in your budget with good schools. I'm not a fan of Teaneck as taxes are high, homes are old and small and rather expensive and the school system is only a little better then Hackensack.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:31 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Teaneck is a fine town.
I can tell jake didn't fully read your post because he recomended Maywood & Dumont after you clearly stated diversity matters to you. Many sheltered suburban types use "bad school system" as code word for African American. Take the above advise with that in mind.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:42 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,117 times
Of the three choices you've narrowed down from the previous thread, I would go with Teaneck, though Bergenfield is a decent choice as well. Bergenfield has a much smaller African American population, though--the diversity there is much more Asian (in particular Filipino) and Latino.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:39 PM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Diversity would be nice, but it should not be the primary criteria. Find the town with the best schools that will give your kids the best opportunities for a first rate education.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 22,015 times
People on here apparently speak from personal opinions and not facts. Facts are Teaneck's taxes are not high for Bergen county actually Bergenfield's taxes are significantly higher. Google NJ property taxes and there's the proof. As far as price of homes Teaneck has more homes under 400k then Bergenfield Englewood Hackensack south orange and Montclair combined. So again do your research and as far as schools Teaneck's are better than Hackensack but worse than Bergenfield. But if your looking for diversity especially a city with a large AA population than Teaneck is the choice. I grew up here still live here and I also work for the township. Another thing about the taxes. There are 67 municipalities in Bergen county. Of the 67 municipalities Teaneck has better taxes than 37 of them and of the other 30 Teaneck is pretty even with. So again do the research. I've noticed people are pretty delusional when it comes to Teaneck.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:09 AM

6 posts, read 22,015 times
Sorry also a good real estate site is NJMLS currently Teaneck has 146 houses for under 400k

Old 10-24-2014, 09:00 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaneckres View Post
Another thing about the taxes. There are 67 municipalities in Bergen county. Of the 67 municipalities Teaneck has better taxes than 37 of them and of the other 30 Teaneck is pretty even with. So again do the research. I've noticed people are pretty delusional when it comes to Teaneck.
Not sure where you're getting your data from but Teaneck's 2013 effective tax rate, which allows you to compare your municipality's property tax rate versus other towns, ranks 60th out of 70 towns in Bergen county (ie. 10 other towns have higher tax rates). Am I missing something?

You are correct that Bergenfield has higher taxes (68th out of 70 towns).

Old 10-24-2014, 05:07 PM

108 posts, read 295,542 times
The taxes are not much higher, you are really talking about a few hundred dollars..give or take.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaneckres View Post
People on here apparently speak from personal opinions and not facts. Facts are Teaneck's taxes are not high for Bergen county actually Bergenfield's taxes are significantly higher. Google NJ property taxes and there's the proof. As far as price of homes Teaneck has more homes under 400k then Bergenfield Englewood Hackensack south orange and Montclair combined. So again do your research and as far as schools Teaneck's are better than Hackensack but worse than Bergenfield. But if your looking for diversity especially a city with a large AA population than Teaneck is the choice. I grew up here still live here and I also work for the township. Another thing about the taxes. There are 67 municipalities in Bergen county. Of the 67 municipalities Teaneck has better taxes than 37 of them and of the other 30 Teaneck is pretty even with. So again do the research. I've noticed people are pretty delusional when it comes to Teaneck.
Thank you!!!! Your the only one who knows your facts. Everything you said is on point. According to an Article on Newsweek in 2014, Hackensack High ranked 13th place for Americas best Highschool. People just assume that because there is a large African American population that kids are doing poorly. Im all about the facts. Going to an all white caucasain township is not the answer. Have we forgotton about the Heroin epidemic that exists and always existed in afluent towns. People judge Hackensack because it has become a city, they say its overcrowed and theres to many bums on the street walking to the shelter. People need to understand that Hackensack bares the brunt from all the surrounding towns. Since Hackensack is the capital of Bergen county because it holds the 9th county seat. We have all the human service agencies that provide access to resources for everyone in Bergen County. Meaning whether you live in Maywood, Bergenfield or Mahwah and you need services, you come to Hackensack. If a homeless person addicted to drugs from Wyckoff has no where to go. What does he/she do. They go to the Bergen County Shelter in Hackensack and they visit the Center for Alcohol a Drug Resource Center there. People from other towns should respect Hackensack and thank the city everyday because Hackensack is the reason there towns look less crowed and safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey