Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:42 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze73 View Post
So, realistically speaking, we were shooting for 1-2bd + off street parking, our best options include - Hob, JS, Weehawken, Union City?
You'll probably find a 1BR for 2K, but it's probably going to be a 15 minute walk to the train station. Zillow literally shows one with your requirements in Hoboken.
Hoboken NJ Apartments for Rent - 1 Rentals - Zillow

I think you might be more realistic to jump to $2,500 a month in Hoboken or look into Jersey City, which has a few more places, but still pretty far from the train.

There's stuff out there, but your budget makes it difficult. I'm amazed at your transit costs, mine are around $300 a month from Cranford, but that's by living within a five minute walk from the train station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:48 AM

47 posts, read 148,005 times
I did the exact same thing. I moved from Livingston to downtown JC. I lived in a very nice high rise with parking, a pool, and a gym. The rent was $2,400 with all of that included. Guess what? It was a studio.

Now I live on the Weehawken border. I have 2 bedroom/2 bath with parking and pay $2,150. The isn't a PATH train here, but there are loads of buses and Hoboken is 2 miles away max. My GF and I usually take an Uber when we know we're going to drink or don't feel like looking for parking. It costs about $8-9 each way. Totally worth it in my opinion.

If you're looking at Hoboken you're going to be way over $2000 for what you want. Plus, a lot of the apartments there are really old. Expect the railroad style. The newer apartments are very cookie cutter and are luxury so you'd be paying high prices.

Check out either the Weehawken area or higher up in JC. I'd recommend the former though since a lot of JC neighborhoods can be sketchy if you're not downtown.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:01 AM

343 posts, read 615,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze73 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback - a lot of very insightful info!

We came from NYC and we'd really prefer not to go back - a super big hassle and (overall) landlords in NJ have been a lot more amicable/easier to reach and talk to. Plus, dealing with PATH is *slightly* better than MTA, in my eyes.

If so, we'd be better off just finding a different apartment in the town we live in...

We currently spend nearly $1000ish on transportation related costs as it is, from NJT, MTA and parking at the train station. It's certainly an option, but we've had success saving a lot of money in urban areas. This especially so if transportation for both of us was Path +/- Light rail (what a good idea! Thanks!).

So, realistically speaking, we were shooting for 1-2bd + off street parking, our best options include - Hob, JS, Weehawken, Union City?
Your best option with priority in saving money while maintaining some quality of life is journal square PATH area in jersey city. You can rent a 1BR in st johns condo (201/225 st pauls ave, 10 huron ave) for $1600, 2BR is $2000. Can also look at other buildings nearby that are cheaper but not as nice.

What you get is a full service doorman building with ac/heat included and very decent sized units. It is a 10 min walk to JSQ PATH station where your only transportation cost is the monthly path ticket which is $90 (plus nyc subway if you dont work near 33rd or wtc). The area is also safe with a little india.

What you lose is the suburb feel, and the neighborhood is not as nice as downtown jersey city like newport/paulus hook.

If you are looking to stay within $2000 for a 2BR while still have easy commute to nyc and good school is not a factor, this is the best way to go.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:05 PM

13 posts, read 16,064 times
Journal Square would be the best option in Jersey City

I own a condo in Journal Square, used to live there and commute to downtown Manhattan via the PATH. Now I rent it out for $1600 / month. my tenant does not have to pay for heat or AC , which most places in Hoboken and JC will charge you for. Many of these apartments have views of NYC and thy have a doorman 24/7

so renting a 2 bedroom in Journal Square for $2100 is a good deal, when you consider I pay $200/month to heat+cool my 2 bedroom apartment in Paulus Hook (downtown JC)

Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 PM

592 posts, read 2,187,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jova99 View Post

so renting a 2 bedroom in Journal Square for $2100 is a good deal, when you consider I pay $200/month to heat+cool my 2 bedroom apartment in Paulus Hook (downtown JC)
That's it? My 1bedroom in newport cost me $400 a month in heating bills during winter. The joy of crappy electric heating.

Old 10-24-2014, 06:46 AM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
You aren't going to find a 2 bedroom in Hoboken with off-street parking in that price range. I would concentrate your search on the Heights (There are some nice streets. I have friends that live there. You will take the bus into the city) or Journal Square for the price range. There are also a handful of nice buildings in JSQ--with garages and doormen.

Don't be afraid of a bus commute. My husband commutes to midtown and did the commute from Newport for one year and now does the 126 bus from uptown Hoboken and his commute time now is actually 2-3 minutes shorter on a typical day. Plus, the etiquette of the bus vs the PATH is different and he prefers the bus. The Jsq-33rd street Path is people who literally push and shove to get on trains during rush hour..even when I was 9 months pregnant and had a doctor's appointment in Tribeca, people were elbowing my pregnany belly on the Path. The bus is no picnic, but people queue up and wait their turn to get on, and there's no pushing.

Also check out Gregory street in Weehawken--it's a nice street at cheaper prices with a bus commute to the city. It's also walking distance to Hoboken via the willow street bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey