Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM

5 posts, read 33,199 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We're considering renting a house in Passaic, but one website gave it a bad score on crime. City-data says Passaic is just average (orange) meaning the same level of crime as Jersey City, and neighborhoodscout says that everything west of Main street and north of Broadway is very high crime.
The realtor says it's a very safe, quiet area, and that the website doesn't know what it's talking about
This house is near the Veteran's Memorial Park, but a little bit north of Broadway.
Anyone know much about this area?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM

65 posts, read 125,793 times
Do you have children? Can I ask why you're considering a move here? Take a look at the streets intersecting Monroe, north of Broadway.... I wouldn't recommend anyone purchasing a house here. In a home you're most likely going to be relatively insulated, but I distinctly remember a case here (I believe on Hamilton street here) where armed gang members simply rode up next to a man on a bike and blasted him... Obviously those missed shots are going somewhere and there aren't much woods here in Passaic last I checked. Do research into oter areas. Is Passaic Park an option to you?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. We don't have kids, but we do want a safe area. We saw a house for rent that looks like a good value and is close to the train station. The realtor says that it is in the Passaic Park region, but it's actually near Broadway and Van Houten. It's not near Monroe. Is Broadway & Van Houten a safe area? I've been having trouble finding a map that actually specifies what part qualifies as "Passaic Park." Any help on that is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2014, 08:39 PM

22 posts, read 42,861 times
I would stay away from the area where Broadway meets Van Houten too. The closer to Route 3 you are, the better off you will be.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:42 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Yeah, Passaic was okay 40 years ago.

Any particular reason you chose Passaic?

Some areas of Clifton are nice.

We moved from Clifton when I was a kid. It used to be fun to take the bus and shop in Passaic. Such a shame it went downhill ;(

Old 10-23-2014, 09:51 PM

Passaic park isn't part of Passaic I think it's own town and if I recall, the exit before rt. 3 heading south on 21 I to newark. So it is very close to 3, right next to Rutherford, etc. Very nice houses there and definitely much safer than regular Passaic. It has an exceptionally high populace of Hacidic Jews. A very interesting demographic change from regular Passaic.
But yeah Passaic isn't the best... I've worked there daily for 6 years in a line of work that makes me interact with people daily... Constantly have people asking you for money, trying to sell you heroin, perfume, asking for your aluminum cans, cigarettes, etc. If you're white you don't fit in plain and simple and you will be annoyed near constantly not to mention dirty looks/ignored at restaurants, etc.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 PM

and yeah I also vote Clifton. It has some rough areas (those bordering Paterson and Passaic) but it is HUGE I'm sure some area will fir your needs. Very high Polish population and loads of good polish joints along Van Houten in Athenia the "heart of Clifton". Clifton is a very cool town, living near 3 is good for you an commuting but beware... Traffic in Clifton period is horrific at all hours, rush hour is nightmarish, by route 3? Forget about it.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,417,057 times
Oh, I guess it's like the different Patersons. Elmwood Park was originally East Paterson, and West Paterson wasn't really Paterson, blah blah blah.

That being said, I wish my family had stayed in that area until I finished high school.I don't know what it's like now (I've heard there are lots of people from India there and I love Indian food!!) but it was a good place to be then.

My neighborhood was a nice mix of folks. Dutch, Polish, Irish, Italian, Ukranian, German-all well-kept houses and lots of kids to hang with.

The bagel place on 46 by Columbus was da bomb

Good luck to you!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:58 PM

Can't really speak on that. Passaic nowadays is much much better than say 10-15 years ago (complete crack city endless drugs etc) but I still would never want to live there.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:25 PM

Thanks for all the comments. This is sounding less and less good. We don't need to live in Passaic...just trying to find something affordable and a decent size in greater NYC that's near a train station for commuting to Manhattan. The listing looked great, but maybe it's too good to be true. The agent keeps emphasizing that this is in Passaic Park, but Google Maps doesn't know where Passaic Park is, and I haven't seen anything that shows borders, like Passaic Park is from this street to that one, etc. Most likely, it's in the agent's interest to say it's in Passaic Park. So probably we'll end up living someplace else if this is such an iffy area. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey