Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 01:06 PM

40 posts, read 63,574 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if investing on buying a condo in East Brunswick and renting it after 5 or 7 years is a good option. We are choosing this due to school district and availability of condos in 200k range.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 08:20 AM

Any responses?

Old 10-31-2014, 09:31 AM

414 posts, read 296,592 times
So you intend to buy one there and live in it, then rent it out after 5-7 years after you move elsewhere? Is that correct?

Old 10-31-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
So you intend to buy one there and live in it, then rent it out after 5-7 years after you move elsewhere? Is that correct?
Idea is to move to a town home/SFH in middlesex county itself after 5-7 years and make this as a rental investment property. Concerned about whether I can rent it fast most of the time. If not sell this condo and buy a rental investment property elsewhere (Edison/South Brunswick/Princeton areas).

Have a 6 yr old school going kid hence choosing East Brunswick from good school district point of view.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Not sure since we don't have crystal balls. You know the district is good but future RE prices depend on lots of factors.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Not sure since we don't have crystal balls. You know the district is good but future RE prices depend on lots of factors.
I just want to understand the current rental market.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:57 AM

The rental market is always strong, but as EBWick noted, we have no way of knowing the future, aside from the fact that I'll be eating pizza tonight. It all depends on what you need the rent to be versus your carrying cost. I'll give you my example. We bought a new construction townhouse in South Brunswick for about $120k. The location was perfect for both of our job commutes (in the middle of each). We loved it, and then big snowstorms came, and lots of red wine, and then kids popped up 9 months later. Go figure. So we decided to sell and buy a proper tract house with yard, pool, fence for the dog, and so on. But the market had crashed at that time. We couldn't sell the place for anywhere near what we owed on it. So we took on renters who covered the overhead at about what we needed. This worked out well for a bit shy of 3 years when the family renting the place decided it was time to buy their own house. By now, the market was turning upward, so we sold the place to the first person who answered our ad for tens of thousands more than we paid. Needless to say, had we held onto it longer, we would have had a much nicer profit, But hindsight and all that. What was key here is the current tax law that allows you a free pass on RE profit if you have lived in the dwelling 2 of the previous 5 years. Since we made that cutoff by about 2 weeks, we paid no tax on the gain. I could go on, and would be happy to share more experiences on this topic with you if you'd like to PM me.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion99 View Post
The rental market is always strong, but as EBWick noted, we have no way of knowing the future, aside from the fact that I'll be eating pizza tonight. It all depends on what you need the rent to be versus your carrying cost. I'll give you my example. We bought a new construction townhouse in South Brunswick for about $120k. The location was perfect for both of our job commutes (in the middle of each). We loved it, and then big snowstorms came, and lots of red wine, and then kids popped up 9 months later. Go figure. So we decided to sell and buy a proper tract house with yard, pool, fence for the dog, and so on. But the market had crashed at that time. We couldn't sell the place for anywhere near what we owed on it. So we took on renters who covered the overhead at about what we needed. This worked out well for a bit shy of 3 years when the family renting the place decided it was time to buy their own house. By now, the market was turning upward, so we sold the place to the first person who answered our ad for tens of thousands more than we paid. Needless to say, had we held onto it longer, we would have had a much nicer profit, But hindsight and all that. What was key here is the current tax law that allows you a free pass on RE profit if you have lived in the dwelling 2 of the previous 5 years. Since we made that cutoff by about 2 weeks, we paid no tax on the gain. I could go on, and would be happy to share more experiences on this topic with you if you'd like to PM me.

what time period are you talking about?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
what time period are you talking about?
The original attempted sale was around 1998 and the eventual sale took place in 2001. Since then, the typical prices in that development are about stable at around 70 % more than what we sold for. One consideration though is that even good renters can trash a place. Ours had a cat (don't allow cats). The carpets were ruined with urine stench and had to be ripped up.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:16 PM

41 posts, read 88,968 times
Condo has so much overheads, strict renting rules. In addition to pay property taxes, you pay a high management fee. Deducting all the taxes and fees, you almost have nothing left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey