U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-02-2008, 09:32 AM

505 posts, read 1,086,931 times
Default Lake Communities- Northern NJ

Looking for some advice in the Northern NJ area and thought the resources here could lend a hand.

My wife and I live in a small lake community in Northern Morris county and we absolutely LOVE it. Walking around the lake, all the lake activities and things like movie night on the beach makes someone feel really welcome.

But our cottage is getting a little small with the plans of us starting a family in the next couple of years. We would really like to find a house in a nice, active lake community in the Morris, Sussex area.

We would like a house that has lots of charm, is cozy and preferrably has sewer and pulbic water- we do not need HUGE rooms. Out price range is in the $400-500k area. To give some examples of places we like and could see ourselves living include Lake Mohawk, Indian Lake, Cedar Lake.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or suggestions in the Morris, South Sussex area?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,146,987 times
What about White Meadow Lake in Rockaway?

I grew up in WML and my parents still live there. Now that I'm out on my own, I realize how great a place it was to grow up!

I'm not sure about price ranges though, but I would imagine that you could find what you want with $400-$500K to spend (probably won't be lakefront though).

Good luck on your search!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:37 AM

604 posts, read 1,936,229 times
Look at this site,

New Jersey lakefront properties, waterfront properties, lakefront, waterfront

Old 01-03-2008, 10:05 PM

127 posts, read 340,029 times
If you like Morris county, then add the following areas to your search: Shongum lake in Denville, Budd lake in Mount Olive, Parsippany Lake in Parsippany, Lake Hopatcong in Mt. Arlington. I have seen quite a few houses which are currently available for sale in those places. Good luck to you in your search!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 PM

10,427 posts, read 28,674,228 times
Sounds like you are describing Indian Lake in Denville. Did I guess right?

Im very fond of Lake Hopatcong but that might be too busy for you. The past few posts had some good suggestions. There are no lake front homes on Budd Lake. There are about 8 homes across the street from it.

I remember Mountain Lake was beautiful. How about Bear Lake just above and connected to Lake Hopatcong.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 12,845 times
The Mount Kemble Lake community in Harding Township, Morris County, NJ is a real surprise for people who know the township. It has such a warm and cozy feel to it; heavily wooded, with narrow streets. Just under 100 houses here and a very strong sense of community. While home prices are higher in Harding Twp, most people are surprised to see that taxes are incredibly low here!

Old 10-02-2013, 04:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,560 times
I have been all over NJ at various lake communities, and few compare to Fayson Lakes in Kinnelon. It is gorgeous...it has roads over the dams between the three lakes, great views, beautiful houses and happy, educated people. It's moderately priced for Morris County (which is a very expensive place to live) but can get very expensive, especially if you look for homes on the lake. Top notch schools and clean, natural beauty. It is also relatively close to NYC - about 30 miles from the George Washington Bridge. If you are ok with being very rural, Upper Greenwood Lake in West Milford is also gorgeous. Lake Valhalla in Montville is great as well, but the properties and houses are larger and therefore more expensive. It also does not have the same sense of community that Fayson has.

Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,446,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurgen View Post
I have been all over NJ at various lake communities, and few compare to Fayson Lakes in Kinnelon. It is gorgeous...it has roads over the dams between the three lakes, great views, beautiful houses and happy, educated people. It's moderately priced for Morris County (which is a very expensive place to live) but can get very expensive, especially if you look for homes on the lake. Top notch schools and clean, natural beauty. It is also relatively close to NYC - about 30 miles from the George Washington Bridge. If you are ok with being very rural, Upper Greenwood Lake in West Milford is also gorgeous. Lake Valhalla in Montville is great as well, but the properties and houses are larger and therefore more expensive. It also does not have the same sense of community that Fayson has.
That is all good information, but...Have you considered the likelihood that--5 1/2 years later--the OP has already found a new abode?

If you are giving advice to the OP, I think that you are likely about 5 years too late.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey