U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM

11 posts, read 8,582 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys.

I posted this on another forum and have been directed here. I am going to look through the other threads (rather than purely being lazy and posting a new thread) but any direct responses would be great! From what I have seen, a lot of the other threads assume more knowledge of general US culture and lifestyle than I have!

I am quite deep into the interview process with a company based in Morris County, New Jersey. This will involve relocating from England! We are almost at the point of discussing benefits packages but before I do so I am looking for some help!

I am 27, male and single, so having done some research it seems Morristown is a good location for me to live. Its within 15 mile of where my office would be based but also more towards New York, a city I would like be able to Enjoy!

What does everybody think I need in a salary to not only survive, but be able to enjoy myself. I need to be able to go out to make friends!

Also, what am I likely to pay in Taxes both Federal and State. We have a much simpler system in the UK and my take home is around 24% less than my gross!

I know I am asking a lot, but what about rent? Does this usually include utilities or are they in addition? Renting an apartment in the UK you tend to pay rent, utilities plus a service charge (for upkeep of common areas etc). Is the service charge built in to rent in the states? It did not seem clear.

I found a great apartment which is 1800-1900 a month. How much will in other expenses before what is left is likely to be disposable?

I know any answers will be estimates but any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:36 AM

2,487 posts, read 4,848,246 times
To be safe I'd say your take home will be 30% less than your gross. That is before deductions for health insurance(depending on how much your employer is contributing this could be significant as healthcare costs are high here) . Morristown is exactly where you want to be. Close to your office, lots of bars and restaurants, people your age in similar life stage, and a 1 hour direct train service to Manhattan. Coming from the UK, you'll actually be getting a bit of a break when it comes to some expenses(like buying cars and electronics) and other expenses should be inline with what you are used to. In terms of what's included in the rent it varies by the property. You have to ask what is included with each different place. Some include utilities and parking, some don't. Some luxury buildings do charge an amenities/service fee on top of the rent. Not many but some do.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:18 AM

Wow, as high as 30%! I thought it might be a little cheaper considering it does not include Healthcare.

I also see that you do not have any statutory holiday entitlement! As an outsider that seems bizarre to say the least!

Any guess at what sort of minimum salary I'd be likely to need?

Old 11-14-2014, 10:27 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,920,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by englandjc View Post
Hi Guys.

I posted this on another forum and have been directed here. I am going to look through the other threads (rather than purely being lazy and posting a new thread) but any direct responses would be great! From what I have seen, a lot of the other threads assume more knowledge of general US culture and lifestyle than I have!

I am quite deep into the interview process with a company based in Morris County, New Jersey. This will involve relocating from England! We are almost at the point of discussing benefits packages but before I do so I am looking for some help!

I am 27, male and single, so having done some research it seems Morristown is a good location for me to live. Its within 15 mile of where my office would be based but also more towards New York, a city I would like be able to Enjoy!

What does everybody think I need in a salary to not only survive, but be able to enjoy myself. I need to be able to go out to make friends!

Also, what am I likely to pay in Taxes both Federal and State. We have a much simpler system in the UK and my take home is around 24% less than my gross!

I know I am asking a lot, but what about rent? Does this usually include utilities or are they in addition? Renting an apartment in the UK you tend to pay rent, utilities plus a service charge (for upkeep of common areas etc). Is the service charge built in to rent in the states? It did not seem clear.

I found a great apartment which is 1800-1900 a month. How much will in other expenses before what is left is likely to be disposable?

I know any answers will be estimates but any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
1) downtown Morristown is nice. I lived there for four years. There are a bunch of pubs and they carry lots of soccer (football) games nowadays so should be a good time for you. Also, lot's of people your age in the area;

2) Morristown is not that convenient to access Manhattan. Certainly doable, but you won't be hanging out in Manhattan on your weekends. The train doesn't run late enough and the car ride is a pain.

3) the only utilitiy usually included in rent is heat and hot water, but depends on the age of the apt. building. Newer bldgs. you will pay: electric, gas, and cable/satellite. You will almost never see a service charge or common charge on top of your rent. You will have to post a security deposit with the landlord (1.5 months rent). He has to by law keep it in an interest-bearing account and send you a statement each year.

4) your take home pay (wages) will be around 68% to 70% of your gross.

5) Gas for your car will be cheaper. Car insurance is expense in NJ, but probably cheaper than UK. You should get a quote if you're going to have a car. You will also have annual registration fee for your auto.

6) Food should be cheaper and going out for drinks/entertainment should be cheaper than your experience.

Morris County is very nice! Enjoy it!

Old 11-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Wow, as high as 30%! I thought it might be a little cheaper considering it does not include Healthcare.

I also see that you do not have any statutory holiday entitlement! As an outsider that seems bizarre to say the least!

Any guess at what sort of minimum salary I'd be likely to need?
Most business observe at least 9 Federal Holidays every year.
Most companies offer a minimum of an additional 2 weeks for PTO as well as an allocation for a few sick or personal days.
Most large(and mid size) employers will cover anywhere from 75%-95% of your monthly health insurance premium.

As for salary I have no idea what field you are in, your saving habits or current financial situation. That said based on you wanting to spend $2,000/month on an apartment I'd you should be making at least $80K.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 AM

Thanks Miami Life. Not being able to hit Manhattan for the weekend is not a problem, but being close enough to go occasionally is the real aim.

There seems to be questions around how safe Morristown is? I appreciate everywhere has its rough spots but is it worse than most?

TDStyles. I think my rent expectation will have to be reconsidered. Tax is certainly higher than I thought and I will not be hitting 80k (or at least I'd be astounded if that is the offer). I will need to ensure the holiday situation is considered / discussed . Norm in the UK is 4-5 weeks per year, plus around 8 National Holidays!

Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Thanks Miami Life. Not being able to hit Manhattan for the weekend is not a problem, but being close enough to go occasionally is the real aim.

There seems to be questions around how safe Morristown is? I appreciate everywhere has its rough spots but is it worse than most?

TDStyles. I think my rent expectation will have to be reconsidered. Tax is certainly higher than I thought and I will not be hitting 80k (or at least I'd be astounded if that is the offer). I will need to ensure the holiday situation is considered / discussed . Norm in the UK is 4-5 weeks per year, plus around 8 National Holidays!
yeh, the environment here is work work work and completely different than the much better work/life balance offered in most of Europe. If you can get 3 weeks of PTO starting out you are super lucky and probably working for a tech company. And for salary if you are going to be making $50K-$60K USD I'd say that you'd want your rent to be no more than $1,500 USD.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:21 PM

5,102 posts, read 11,129,406 times
Morristown is fairly safe. You'd have more danger from getting legally ripped off via the local county court system and its packs of lawyers than on the street. So as long as you stay away from the county courts you's usually be fine.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:57 PM

I certainly intend to stay out of the justice system Captne76!

TDstyles, have you lived in Britain? You seem to be have a good understanding of the differences.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:58 PM

407 posts, read 267,592 times
I don't know what kind of work you do, but many large companies offer more than the standard 2 weeks vacation (or PTO). My husband gets 4 weeks, plus stock market holidays, plus unlimited sick days, and the ability to work from home occasionally. He works in IT.

I had a friend recently negotiate trading a small salary increase for an extra week of vacation time, bringing it to 5 weeks total per year (he's very into mountain climbing, and flies all over he world to do it...and therefore, likes lots of time off)--he's an environmental engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey