Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 AM

98 posts, read 119,889 times

Advertisements

I have been to this shelter. This is one horrific, sad, heart wrenching situation these animals are in. Upstairs, there is an isolated cat room. There are lots and lots of small cat cages right next to one another. The sick cats are transferring fleas and mites and illness to other cats. They are NOT taken out to play or move around. Fresh water and food are uncommon. They sit there in miserary - just like prison until someone comes into the room.

When I was there, they had a locked isolated room upstairs by the cats. When a worker walked in, I heard a dog just screaming and crying. I felt so bad you have no idea. I cry when I think about this place!

Now lets get to the dog area. It's in a cold, lifeless, depressing room a well. It's dimly lit, barely any windows or sunshine coming through. It's smelly, the cages are small, and the dogs are scared. I've read postings about people who adopted dogs there that were so scared of them and couldn't walk because their legs were used to being crunched up in the cages. How is this fair to a defenseless helpless animal? They have these dog runs that are outside in the back, but they are not functioning and in no condition for a dog to play in. They are small and unfit for any kind of dog. Most of these dogs barely see the day. They are locked up until someone takes one home. What gets me, is that this shelter has HUGE potential to have an amazing fenced in play area with grass and wooded areas. Why hasn't this been built for dogs yet? I'm hoping this post can reach out to someone who can volunteer to reconstruct this. The old play pens needs to be knocked down, grass needs to be regrown, and a fence put it around the yard. If the dogs can go outside and catch a ball or fetch a stick, it would do them a world of good. If anyone can help in anyway please help!!! PLEASE GET THESE ANIMALS OUT OF HERE AND INTO HOMES. My sister adopted a kitten and had to pay a few hundred dollars in shots and treatments so expect that if you adopt from there.

This shelter euthanized over 500 animals last year. It's unethical!!! We need more people donating food and supplies AND ADOPTING THESE POOR ANIMALS instead of bashing the facility. Please people, help spread the word and change the life of an animal today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 08:45 AM

113 posts, read 331,163 times
So this shelter has been quarantined? Does that mean its been shut down?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:46 AM

98 posts, read 119,889 times
Yes its shut down from the latest I heard. No animals in, no animals out - and i think 4 dogs were close to drying =(

Old 11-14-2014, 03:29 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
forgive m ignorance but is this a municipal shelter? ((who is responsible? I am sure they will say lack of funding)). Very sad.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
forgive m ignorance but is this a municipal shelter? ((who is responsible? I am sure they will say lack of funding)). Very sad.
As I understand it, it is a municipal shelter which opened and obtained contracts from nearby municipalities for animal services.

The mayor thought to "make money" with this venture.

Basically the animals went in and were not taken care of. At the end of the alloted time the animals were euthanized. It became an euthanasia factory. Karma will get those in charge in Helmetta. They deserve it.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:30 PM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
As I understand it, it is a municipal shelter which opened and obtained contracts from nearby municipalities for animal services.

The mayor thought to "make money" with this venture.

Basically the animals went in and were not taken care of. At the end of the alloted time the animals were euthanized. It became an euthanasia factory. Karma will get those in charge in Helmetta. They deserve it.
Between this fiasco and the well-publicized abomination of a police department in that one-horse town, I think that the entire Helmetta City Hall needs a massive enema in order to rid it of the...detritus.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:57 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms9747 View Post
How hard is it to post a link?
Helmetta animal shelter quarantined by Middlesex health officials amid reports of unsafe conditions | NJ.com

Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,109,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Between this fiasco and the well-publicized abomination of a police department in that one-horse town, I think that the entire Helmetta City Hall needs a massive enema in order to rid it of the...detritus.

And their school district was merged into Spotswood by state order a few years back anyway.

Finish the job and merge the whole town into Spotswood.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:27 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
And their school district was merged into Spotswood by state order a few years back anyway.

Finish the job and merge the whole town into Spotswood.
Although the definition was a bit different, the old Rotten Boroughs of England come to mind when I think of Helmetta.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:31 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Was there similar scandal with the Helmetta school district?

And seriously - a whole "town" structure with mayor, city council, police, public works for 2200 people???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey