Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 11,258 times

Advertisements

I am in the research phase of a house hunt and working on narrowing it down to an area. I am hoping to start searching in earnest in about 6 months (plan to move in summer 2015). Based on our needs Colonia seems like a good fit, but I have seen some comments about the town that make it sound a little less desirable. Can anyone shed some light on the town itself and perhaps offer some other suggestions?

Where are you coming from? Staten Island
Why are you moving? Would like to buy a house with more property than we can afford in Staten Island
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? I work in midtown and would prefer to commute by train (My job is closer to Penn Station than Port Authority). My spouse works from home.

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? Up to about $420K, depending on how high the taxes are
What kind of place are you looking for? A single family, detached home (no condos or townhouses). 4 bedrooms (or 3 bedrooms and office space for my spouse who works from home), 2-3 bathrooms, nice sized yard for kid and dogs

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you? Spouse, one child (age 7), two small dogs
Do you need/want good public schools? Yes. Particularly elementary and middle school. We may consider private/Catholic high school so the public high schools don't need to be stellar, but if they were that would be a bonus

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) I would prefer a nice, suburban feel. Families with young children, where it is safe to play outside. Coming from Brooklyn and Staten Island I am used to being able to walk lots of places. If the town had some nice amenities within walking distance that would be nice, but not a deal breaker.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc) 1) Commute. I would prefer a town that either has a train within walking distance or local bus service to the train. I hate the idea of driving and parking as part of my commute. 2) A good school system. It doesn't have to be a top tier pressure cooker, but a good system where our child will get a good education. 3) A reasonable drive to Staten Island and Brooklyn since we have family in both areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 12:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Colonia's a bit of a hike from NYC.

How much property are you looking for? The western part of West Orange has most of what you're looking for (suburban feel, families with young children, decent sized though not huge yards, good elementary schools, local bus to train in some areas) in your price range though the taxes are killer.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:04 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
The property taxes in WO will be much higher than those in Colonia. From Colonia you can takle either the train from MetroPark or Rahway.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:08 PM

Is the commute from Colonia bad? I tried to use the trip planner tool on NJ Transit and it gave me a commute time of 1 hour door to door. This included walking to a local bus that would take me to Metropark station so I can take the Northeast Corridor line right into NY Penn Station. Is it not as easy as it sounds in reality? It seems as though Colonia has a couple of local buses as well as a Metropark loop bus during commute times, which is one of the reasons the town seemed so attractive to me. Not having to drive would be a major, major plus for me.

I will certainly check out West Orange, thanks for the suggestion!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:49 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njbound26 View Post
Is the commute from Colonia bad? I tried to use the trip planner tool on NJ Transit and it gave me a commute time of 1 hour door to door. This included walking to a local bus that would take me to Metropark station so I can take the Northeast Corridor line right into NY Penn Station. Is it not as easy as it sounds in reality? It seems as though Colonia has a couple of local buses as well as a Metropark loop bus during commute times, which is one of the reasons the town seemed so attractive to me. Not having to drive would be a major, major plus for me.

I will certainly check out West Orange, thanks for the suggestion!
Commute from Colonia should consistently be as good(if not better since you have a direct train 2 miles away) as West Orange, even though it is 10 miles farther. I have never lived there but on paper it seems to be a good fit for you. Only way to know for sure is to go down there and spend some time around town. Good luck!

Old 11-17-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Commute from Colonia should consistently be as good(if not better since you have a direct train 2 miles away) as West Orange, even though it is 10 miles farther. I have never lived there but on paper it seems to be a good fit for you. Only way to know for sure is to go down there and spend some time around town. Good luck!
Thanks! You're right. The only way for us to know is to go and check it out for ourselves. Hope to be able to do so soon before the bad weather settles in and then maybe around spring we can start a serious search.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:40 PM

32 posts, read 50,994 times
If you want to check prices on homes, I suggest you go to www.realtor.com. You will find all the information you need on the price of homes. You may want to cross check on Zillow: Real Estate, Apartments, Mortgage & Home Values in the US for taxes.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:53 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,467 times
Rahway has twice the number of trains to NY than MetroPark because the NE and the Coast line merge there. When I lived in Colonia most people caught the train from Rahway to NY.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Colonia's a bit of a hike from NYC.
It's really not.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
Rahway has twice the number of trains to NY than MetroPark because the NE and the Coast line merge there. When I lived in Colonia most people caught the train from Rahway to NY.
Thanks for the advice. NJ trip planner sent me to metropark via the no.48 bus so I hadn't even realized Rahway was an option. It actually does look like the Rahway station is 5 minutes closer, but the bus fare is a little more. Would that bus ride be covered by a monthly train ticket? I've heard that the monthly tickets will have a zone printed on it that will cover buses in that zone. Would the higher fare to Rahway make it ineligible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey