Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:28 PM

625 posts, read 3,634,851 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know if any single or married people without children, planning on moving out of New Jersey in the near future. If so where are you moving to and why?

I'm asking because I plan on moving to Atlanta in 2009 and the reason I am leaving is because I know I will not be able to or want to buy a home in NJ unless the market plummets and I can buy a nice single family in Northern NJ, in a safe area, for under $250k and have my taxes be $3500 per year without an increase . I know it's a pipe dream but hey at 27 I can still dream can't I?

So back to my question: Any single or married people without children (because the school system would not be a top priority for moving) planning on leaving NJ in the near future? If so, where and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 12:33 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,057 times
I was bailing out of here last year but I stayed for my then girlfriend (foolish, yes). I was all set for Charlotte but a long weekend down there dealing with the traffic, the heat, and the crime made me realize Jersey isn't THAT bad.

I have a very good friend of mine in Gwinnett County (Northeast Atlanta) and the traffic? Holy smokes, that is insane traffic!

Will I stay here forever? Probably not, but it's home for now, and more importantly, my job is here.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I was bailing out of here last year but I stayed for my then girlfriend (foolish, yes). I was all set for Charlotte but a long weekend down there dealing with the traffic, the heat, and the crime made me realize Jersey isn't THAT bad.

I have a very good friend of mine in Gwinnett County (Northeast Atlanta) and the traffic? Holy smokes, that is insane traffic!

Will I stay here forever? Probably not, but it's home for now, and more importantly, my job is here.
I have heard about Atlanta traffic. But I think I can deal with the traffic if I can afford a home to go to at night .

Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neekah18 View Post
I have heard about Atlanta traffic. But I think I can deal with the traffic if I can afford a home to go to at night .
Completely understandable. Just make sure you have a job lined up before leaving first.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Completely understandable. Just make sure you have a job lined up before leaving first.
Definitely. I can't imagine moving somewhere with nothing waiting for me. I am too old to become a drifter . I am working at a company within my degree and trying to get into the Executive Training Program to become an Assistant Buyer. I figure with 1-2 years of experience in that I can apply to other companies to become a buyer.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:28 PM

191 posts, read 697,703 times
My boyfriend and I are planning to leave in about a year and a half, maybe less (we’re in Bloomfield) - main reasons include high property values, taxes, weather and the people - we are looking for good food, culture, friendly people, the ability to own a nice home where we can build an outdoor kitchen/living area and no snow! We don't have kids/family and only a few good friends here so it's not a difficult decision - finding an area that fits us is not so easy. So far, due to our love for the New Orleans area, we are strongly considering Baton Rouge - close to all the fun but far enough away to not live in fear of having to evacuate. Ideally we’d leave the US altogether if we could…maybe some day!

BTW - not sure where I heard it or if it's even accurate but regarding Atlanta traffic, it's about 10 mins for every mile you commute into or out of the city so a 10 mile drive would take about 1 1/2 hours - anyone know if this is true? I visited Atlanta a couple times after college about 10 years ago and I remember the traffic was pretty bad even back then.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:08 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Just remember if you are still needing to work..not retiring..along with low housing costs, low taxes etc comes low wages..unless you are a professional..doctor, lawyer or techy guru...it's really all relative in the end.

Prices are also going up...not as high as the North east but a few more $$ then a couple of years ago

Old 01-02-2008, 02:10 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
My boyfriend and I are planning to leave in about a year and a half, maybe less (we’re in Bloomfield) - main reasons include high property values, taxes, weather and the people - we are looking for good food, culture, friendly people, the ability to own a nice home where we can build an outdoor kitchen/living area and no snow! We don't have kids/family and only a few good friends here so it's not a difficult decision - finding an area that fits us is not so easy. So far, due to our love for the New Orleans area, we are strongly considering Baton Rouge - close to all the fun but far enough away to not live in fear of having to evacuate. Ideally we’d leave the US altogether if we could…maybe some day!

BTW - not sure where I heard it or if it's even accurate but regarding Atlanta traffic, it's about 10 mins for every mile you commute into or out of the city so a 10 mile drive would take about 1 1/2 hours - anyone know if this is true? I visited Atlanta a couple times after college about 10 years ago and I remember the traffic was pretty bad even back then.
Not entirely sure but when I drove I 75 I swore I would never complain about I 80 in Northern NJ again

Old 01-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not entirely sure but when I drove I 75 I swore I would never complain about I 80 in Northern NJ again

I can deal with 80 it's the Parkway South at rush hour that kills me.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM

191 posts, read 697,703 times
Quote:
I can deal with 80 it's the Parkway South at rush hour that kills me.
I have a 20 mile commute home on the Parkway from exit 171 to 152 - when I leave work at 6p it takes me about 45mins on average sometimes over an hour but I've noticed that even when I leave early for a doctors appt - the traffic is already backed up by 3:30 which I find a bit confusing. But all in all - I really don't mind it so much compared to the 1 1/2 hour commute I had into NYC when I lived in Jersey City -- wait for bus, bus doesn't stop...wait for another bus, already late for the PATH train, run to the subway, walk all the way over to the east side...exhausted by the time you get to work and after 9-12 hours do it all again backwards --- now being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour while listening to satellite radio isn't so bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey