Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM

363 posts, read 431,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
If that is the case, then Hoboken, Jersey City, or NYC are where you want to be. Even if you only do it for a year or two, it will be a great experience and one you cant really get anywhere else. LA isnt close to as walkable as the NYC area.

And there is plenty of IT work here.

That's exactly what I am looking for. Even though I am not 100% sure leaving NC is the best choice, I still want at the very least experience living there even if it was for a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeEC View Post
A few questions. Where in NC are you currently living? In what aspect of IT do you have experience? Are you looking to get rid of your car or just not use it too often? From a work aspect, if you don't want a car you're mostly likely going to be looking for employment in JC , Newark or of course NYC. Public transportation isn't as cheap as some folks think. If you think you can earn a high enough salary, just get rid of the car and move to NYC. You're young and at the perfect age to enjoy it. Spend a few years living it up! If you're wanting to live in one of those towns and keep your car, you'll soon realize what kind of challenges that can pose.

I live in Raleigh, NC currently, in IT I mostly do computer support, i am not that high in the career ladder yet, I am still considered a beginner or entry level for most major computer companies like IBM. I do have 3 certificates in computers beside the associate degree, I understand associate degrees don't get you as far as a bachelor these days, but for now it's all I can get. I am planning to keep the car, if I felt like I didn't need it at all I might get rid of it, but most likely I will keep it. I don't even mind driving to work if the traffic isn't very bad. I just need a place where I don't rely on it. For example, last month my alternator went bad and I couldn't start the car, so I literally couldn't go anywhere outside of the house, unless someone with a car was there to let you use it or give you a ride.

I don't know who's here been to NC, but it's pretty much all trees, and you most likely have to walk at the very least two miles to get to any store or any bus stops. Our buses are usually empty too since not too many people ride them. So relying on cars that much in a way kind of depresses me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 08:43 AM

880 posts, read 1,247,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell03 View Post
It still is. Look at NC forums and you will see some "Moving from NJ" posts.

Oh, OK. I thought it'd slowed down some, when the jobs became more scarce and real estate in NC got a bit higher. Last 3 families close to us that moved out of NJ all went to Texas.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:47 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,743,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialwayswin001 View Post
That's exactly what I am looking for. Even though I am not 100% sure leaving NC is the best choice, I still want at the very least experience living there even if it was for a year or two.
What i can tell you is that while you are young and have the opportunity, do it. You will regret it otherwise, and life can change quickly. So if you want to live in the city, experience the fun of socializing and going out every night, happy hour, shows and living the single life in a big city, do it!!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 AM

180 posts, read 343,776 times
Quote:
So I've been wanting to move out of NC for a while, mainly because it's boring, and I do mean boring. There isn't much to do in here, the nightlife is very very limited, most places close at 10pm, and you can't get anywhere without a car. I am 26 male, single with no kids, i also have an associate degree in Information Technology. I was planning on moving either to California or somewhere up north in the east coast. My first choice is California, but it's a big step for me, and it's extremely expensive, I've asked about California in this forums and although I still want to move there, I am still not sure if it's the right step now.

I've been interested in New Jersey, and I just have a couple of questions about it and hopefully get some advice. I wanted to find out about places in New Jersey, it seems all people talk about is Newark. The main things I want out of the state is things to do, and i don't want to rely on my car too much, when I say in NC you can't go anywhere without a car, I literally mean that unless you take a cab. I like to be able to be around neighborhoods where you can actually walk to go places.

One last thing, first of all I do NOT watch Jersey Shore, I actually despise it. But the only thing I got out of the show is the area Seaside Heights, I love to be around areas like that, or neighborhoods that are not too far from there. So can anybody give me information about it, or any other city in New Jersey where there's a variety of stuff to do and a good nightlife, I just feel like I am missing out on a lot living in NC.

If you've never been to NJ - come visit!! If the NYC/metro area (JC, Hoboken, etc) is too big a contrast for you and too expensive - you might want to consider some of the 'greener' less crowded places that still have easy access to the train. There are lots of those and have been discussed in other threads here. Even some shore towns!! (Cranford, Fanwood, Scotch Plains, Asbury Park, Long Branch, etc).

Being in NJ you'll see that you can easily get the beaches, Philadelphia, NYC and even Washington DC. There are real lakes (not nuclear lakes) and lots of pristine, wooded areas to explore. Its funny to hear people say Charlotte NC is 'close to the beach' - even though its 3hrs away! Here in NJ 'close' to the beach means less than one hour!!! GOOD LUCK - come visit

Old 11-23-2014, 09:47 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,870,901 times
If you find yourself torn between the 'fun' towns on the PATH (Hoboken and JC), which may (or may not) be just a little too expensive, and cheaper places where you have to hop a bus to socialize, take a look at NYC. This may seem odd advice coming from outside the region, but areas in Brooklyn and Queens that aren't hip areas themselves but have a couple places to go and you can hop a subway somewhere more happening do occupy a middle ground between the two more discrete choices available west of the Hudson.

Wherever you go with, I think you're likely to find a lot more of what you're looking for than in NC, and honestly more than you would in Southern California either (vs. San Fran maybe not, but $$$).

edit: Also seconding the visit first advice -- never a bad call if you can before making a more permanent move.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:00 AM

I will definitely visit soon. I've been to New York when I was younger, but I've never experienced it as an adult on my own. I was actually planning to visit New Jersey around December if I didn't have to go to Houston Texas for family reasons. I just wanted to thank everybody for the answers and the advises. I feel very optimistic about moving there now. Hopefully next time I ask questions about NJ in this forum I will be living there and asking about areas and spots to see. If all goes as planed I should be there within March or April.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:11 AM

11 posts, read 32,759 times
Definitely take a look at Philadelphia.
Manayunk, Center City, South Philly draw young professionals and are very affordable. Night life is walking distance or a short subway ride away, restaurants, concerts, games, coffee shops are easily accessible.
Philly is much more manageable than NYC, less intimidating, smaller and more importantly cheaper.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:20 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,743,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodonj View Post
Definitely take a look at Philadelphia.
Manayunk, Center City, South Philly draw young professionals and are very affordable. Night life is walking distance or a short subway ride away, restaurants, concerts, games, coffee shops are easily accessible.
Philly is much more manageable than NYC, less intimidating, smaller and more importantly cheaper.
i would agree with everything except the bolded. But if your going to do a big city, might as well be NYC. Philly is fun though. Manayunk has a college town vibe.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:52 PM

595 posts, read 674,633 times
Quote:

I live in Raleigh, NC currently, in IT I mostly do computer support, i am not that high in the career ladder yet, I am still considered a beginner or entry level for most major computer companies like IBM. I do have 3 certificates in computers beside the associate degree, I understand associate degrees don't get you as far as a bachelor these days, but for now it's all I can get. I am planning to keep the car, if I felt like I didn't need it at all I might get rid of it, but most likely I will keep it. I don't even mind driving to work if the traffic isn't very bad. I just need a place where I don't rely on it. For example, last month my alternator went bad and I couldn't start the car, so I literally couldn't go anywhere outside of the house, unless someone with a car was there to let you use it or give you a ride.

I don't know who's here been to NC, but it's pretty much all trees, and you most likely have to walk at the very least two miles to get to any store or any bus stops. Our buses are usually empty too since not too many people ride them. So relying on cars that much in a way kind of depresses me.
Here is my perspective, so take it for what it is worth. I lived in Raleigh as a kid, moved to NJ when I was in 8th grade. Went to college up there, lived in NYC in my 20s, then back to NJ, got married, bought a house, had kids, etc. 4 months ago I moved back to the Triangle and I am thrilled to be back here and out of NJ. Don't take that as a knock on NJ though. There are a lot of good things about NJ, but there are also a lot of negatives. I miss my friends, but that is about it. My only regret is not moving back to the Triangle sooner. Only you ultimately can decide if NJ is right for you and what you're looking for.

One thing to point out about the public transportation up there is that it ultimately is designed for commuting to NYC (or the cities on the river, such as Newark, Hoboken, JC). If you work in one of those places, then you can chose from a variety of places to live with less reliance on a car. But if you are working elsewhere in NJ, then your options quickly shrink. In many instances, it simply is impractical. Sure in a pinch, you could take a bus to a bus to a train, walk down a highway for half a mile, but it comes down to exactly where you live and where you work. In your scenario, where your alternator went, you'd be in the same scenario of relying on a ride. As was posted earlier, you'll also find much higher auto insurance and plenty of toll roads. In regards to your comment of "if the traffic isn't very bad", I am sorry to say NJ is notorious for traffic. If you are of the opinion that traffic in Raleigh has gotten terrible in the past few years, you might be horrified to what you experience in Northern NJ. Central Jersey traffic is not as bad, but you'll be in a similar scenario as where you are now, as it's very difficult to get around without your own reliable car.

I'm going to assume you're more interested in a Northern NJ experience with access to the city. (If I am incorrect, let me know and we can discuss the central jersey experience.) Another shock to you might be the rents up here. It seems that a lot of what you're looking for could be found in the Triangle. You could live and work in downtown Raleigh or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. If the rents there seem steep, you're not going to like what you find in NJ. Obviously, you can mitigate a lot of that by looking into a roommate situation.

Some of what you write indicates that you're just looking for a change. That is completely understandable. You're young and at a very flexible stage in your life. Now is the time to take some chances. You can always move back if you don't find what you're looking for. NYC in your 20s is a fantastic time. If you can swing it, you can have a blast. Just make sure you don't drive yourself into debt, it's an expensive place. Maybe try to plan a road trip in the spring, go up and get a feel for the area. See if the vibe is for you. While you're at it, head up to Boston to see what you think. It's another great place.

Finally, I am also an IT guy. There are tremendous opportunities down in the Triangle. Don't apologize for your current level of degree. Everyone has to start somewhere and you've shown some drive to get where you are now. Keep the momentum, continue focusing on your skills. In the meantime, if you're truly interested in a change, start working on your resume now. Start networking now. Start looking for jobs now. You never know when an opportunity may come and be prepared should it arise. While you're searching, you can get a feel for the salary you might command and that will help shape your next move.

Best of luck!

Old 11-26-2014, 08:11 AM

Regarding JustMeEC's post, I am planning to be in North Jersey so far. I understand what you're saying and I appreciate the advice. The main reason of my move is kind of an "adventure" so to speak. I know NC especially where I live in North Raleigh has a lot of opportunities, I know it has many things that you can find anywhere else and a very affordable place, and I always advise people that NC is perfect for families or someone who wants to start one. But, at the same time it's very limited compared to the bigger states which is why I want to make the move, Raleigh does have most of the things offered elsewhere, but IMO it's extremely downgraded compared to a place like NY or NJ. I understand I can't always rely on public transportation, I've said that I didn't even mind driving to work, but it would be nice to know that you're not limited to using it, and I am sure you understand that's the case in most of NC even Raleigh since you live here.

I am pretty much good in Raleigh, NC I even have some family and friends against the idea of me moving since I am doing so good here, I can get a decent paying job really easy from my past employers here even if it's not in my study field. But as for myself, I am considering NC as the backup option if things don't work out. Like pinkydapimp said if i don't do this now i might regret it the rest of my life since I am still young and not tied to a family or anything at the moment. For your case you've experienced both, so you will not have regrets of not trying something new, even if you regret not moving to NC sooner, at the very least you know city very well and know enough people outside of NC as far as jobs and networking goes in case anything happens where you're forced to move back.

I am planning to move to Jersey City or Hoboken, I am also familiar with the rent, I've researched a lot of things including the area and the rent, I will have a roommate most likely, and I am planning to have at least 3 months of rent and expenses in advance in case I can't find a job as fast. This is something I've always wanted to try and I am putting a lot of commitment in it, especially after you turn 25 you realize the years pass by a lot faster than you thought when you're in the early 20s lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey