Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 02:44 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delray Patty View Post
Oh yeah, Jon Corzine and Menendez will make it all better.....DREAM ON
Well they are.. I mean, politicians never lie, right? Don't they get to be elected representatives because of their trustworthiness?

Old 11-17-2006, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPKull View Post
my point is basically is... If you look at every forum around the US. People are complaining about something. For every bad quality NJ has, there is a bad or even worse quality another state has.

Yes, I know that post came off wrong, but my general point was the statement above. Every state has something bad about it. Some more and less than others.. It all evens out.

So to trash the state, I do not think it's right.
I think we have a great state, a lot of kinks need to be worked out, but overall people are happy and do not want to move out of the state. If people were fleeing the state by the truckload, then I could see myself sitting back and reassesing my outlook on things. It just does not seem to be as bad as what some people say...
Sure, no place is perfect. However, when enough decent, hard-working and educated people can't have the life they worked so hard to get, then it's beyond "a lot of kinks need to be worked out". When people can't afford to stay in homes they've owned for 15, 20, 30 years, and in some cases free and clear, then it's more than kinks needing to be worked out. This state's tax system is out of control.

I also don't agree that "overall people are happy". Personally, I'm taking my master's degree and 20 years of work experience out of this state next year, and my only regret is that I didn't do it a lot sooner. I know I'm not the only one. My ex (who I'm still friends with) went to Georgia. One of our former neighbors went to Virginia, and another to Florida. I know that anecdotes only go so far, but when enough people express jealousy to me that I "get to leave" New Jersey, it tells me that things are very wrong here.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:26 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira View Post
I am not defending NJ taxes - I pay them too and wish they were half of what I am paying. But while NJ taxes are twice the national average so are NJ schools.
The schools in my township are very good. Good schools equal higher property values which equal higher taxes. The problem is selling that to someone who no longer has kids in the school system.

Old 11-18-2006, 04:54 PM

9 posts, read 41,948 times
I have to agree that I have difficulty believing that there is anywhere on earth where a small family would truly struggle on $150,000 a year.

Old 11-19-2006, 06:54 AM

11 posts, read 43,647 times
Unhappy Leaving NJ

Median salary in NJ is 59K. I make about that and am trying to find a affordable place to live for one person. Depending upon how expensive your house is makes a huge difference in affordabitlity.

I could qualify for a $200,000 loan and struggle to keep my head above water. Can't get first time home buyer loan from state since my car payment ($ 335 a month) pushes me over the 36% rate of total monthly debt. But I travel 50 miles each to work so need a reliable car. I don't know how people can afford these $500K plus homes, even on two salaries. Add in taxes, utilities and forget about furnishing the home. Everyehrewhere you go, you get hit with expenses. I lived in NE on a lot less and was able to save 10% of salary and I made almost 40% less. If it wasn't for a family situation I would have stayed there. I am hoping to be out of this state again within the next 5 years.
If you were lucky enough to have purchased a cheap home years ago, or got one from your family, you would be in decent shape here in Jersey. Nowadays, I don't know what the future holds for Northern/Central jersey. The middle class is definetly being pushed out. It will be a state of wealthy and immigrant/poor people in the cities who don't mind doubling up to afford the housing. Sad, but true.

CrazyHands

Old 11-19-2006, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHands View Post
Median salary in NJ is 59K. I make about that and am trying to find a affordable place to live for one person. Depending upon how expensive your house is makes a huge difference in affordabitlity.

I could qualify for a $200,000 loan and struggle to keep my head above water. Can't get first time home buyer loan from state since my car payment ($ 335 a month) pushes me over the 36% rate of total monthly debt. But I travel 50 miles each to work so need a reliable car. I don't know how people can afford these $500K plus homes, even on two salaries. Add in taxes, utilities and forget about furnishing the home. Everyehrewhere you go, you get hit with expenses. I lived in NE on a lot less and was able to save 10% of salary and I made almost 40% less. If it wasn't for a family situation I would have stayed there. I am hoping to be out of this state again within the next 5 years.
If you were lucky enough to have purchased a cheap home years ago, or got one from your family, you would be in decent shape here in Jersey. Nowadays, I don't know what the future holds for Northern/Central jersey. The middle class is definetly being pushed out. It will be a state of wealthy and immigrant/poor people in the cities who don't mind doubling up to afford the housing. Sad, but true.

CrazyHands
I'm in an almost identical situation, minus the car payment (knocks on wood). I make enough money where I could get by in a one-bedroom apartment or something, but I want to own my home. Over the long haul, you simply can't get ahead by renting (especially with what rents are around here). And to do that, I would have to seriously struggle to even keep myself afloat. I make in the low $40s (single), and to get anything nice and close to my job, I would be looking at condos that are at least $175,000 (houses are simply out of the question-too expensive). After the mortgage, taxes, association fees, utilities, and car maintenance/insurance, I probably would be in the red at the end of most months.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:08 AM

11 posts, read 43,647 times
Unfortunately, I looked at buying a house, and can't believe the prices for these shacks!! Some are so bad, you would never get a loan on them and found that if the realtor put "needs updating" means "needs recking ball". Condo is not my first choice, but I figure if I can swing it for 2 years, sell (hopefully not at a loss) and then look else where I will tolerate that choice.

I entertained Monroe County, PA for a house, but work with several people who live that way and they all complain about the 1.5 to 2 hour commute each way. I already drive too much and that area or Sussex county is really not a viable option since I go to school at night too. When I am done with school, I hope this will become a lucrative second job (RN) and I will be able to take with me to any new location - be it out of state or south jersey where I will feel that a quarter of a million dollars will get you a semi-decent place to live. I am not looking to live in a mini-mansion. I am not sure how people afford it, but if someone has the secret fromula, please let me know.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:41 AM

88 posts, read 386,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHands View Post
Unfortunately, I looked at buying a house, and can't believe the prices for these shacks!! Some are so bad, you would never get a loan on them and found that if the realtor put "needs updating" means "needs recking ball". Condo is not my first choice, but I figure if I can swing it for 2 years, sell (hopefully not at a loss) and then look else where I will tolerate that choice.

I entertained Monroe County, PA for a house, but work with several people who live that way and they all complain about the 1.5 to 2 hour commute each way. I already drive too much and that area or Sussex county is really not a viable option since I go to school at night too. When I am done with school, I hope this will become a lucrative second job (RN) and I will be able to take with me to any new location - be it out of state or south jersey where I will feel that a quarter of a million dollars will get you a semi-decent place to live. I am not looking to live in a mini-mansion. I am not sure how people afford it, but if someone has the secret fromula, please let me know.

Can everyone explain which part of New Jersey you guys live in?

I really do not know how bad it is in Northern NJ. I spectate from the Southern end. No one really has that kind of problem here. If what you guys are saying about the Northern region of NJ is that bad, then move?

200k can get you a decent home in a decent neighborhood around here with taxes ranging from 2k-5k depending which area. Kind of blows my mind that more and more of you are coming on here saying that about NJ.

Just clarify which part of NJ you are from please.. Thanks.

Old 11-20-2006, 08:52 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:

I really do not know how bad it is in Northern NJ. I spectate from the Southern end. No one really has that kind of problem here. If what you guys are saying about the Northern region of NJ is that bad, then move?

200k can get you a decent home in a decent neighborhood around here with taxes ranging from 2k-5k depending which area. Kind of blows my mind that more and more of you are coming on here saying that about NJ.

Believe me of what these posters are stating they're definately in either the Northern or Central part of NJ - the unofficial 6th and 7th boroughs of NYC.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:

I'm in western Monmouth County (I would call it central Jersey). I don't think 200K will get you much (maybe a condo) in this area. I know the taxes in my town (on a single family home) range from 5.5K to nearly 25K. I agree with you about some people that may need to move and have said it many times that "people need to live within their means". I'm not trying to be mean to them but I am stating fact. If they experience a change (loss of work, forced to take less pay, illness etc.) they need to adapt. I know thats easier said than done, but it is a fact of life. There are a couple of real nice homes being built over in Colts Neck (3 Million+) that I would love to live in. Fact of life, "I CANT AFFORD IT", but I don't complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey