Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2006, 09:39 AM

202 posts, read 992,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
I agree with you about some people that may need to move and have said it many times that "people need to live within their means". I'm not trying to be mean to them but I am stating fact. If they experience a change (loss of work, forced to take less pay, illness etc.) they need to adapt. I know thats easier said than done, but it is a fact of life.
exhdo1, I absolutely agree with you. People need to learn to not overspend, live within their means and, if it comes down to it, move out of NJ to some place more affordable if they need to.

However, I don't think it should be an issue of complaining or not complaining. There are many things wrong in NJ that can be fixed (especially property taxes), and they won't be fixed unless people complain about it. I don't think we should be sticking our heads in the sand and taking it up the rear if there's something that can be done about it.

There are some proposals that Corzine has floated recently to fix property taxes (although right now, they're a little ridiculous and completely unrealistic). So that means at least they have acknowledged it as a problem and are working to rectify it. The more people talk about it and make it an issue, the higher priority it will be.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:27 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
exhdo1, I absolutely agree with you. People need to learn to not overspend, live within their means and, if it comes down to it, move out of NJ to some place more affordable if they need to.

However, I don't think it should be an issue of complaining or not complaining. There are many things wrong in NJ that can be fixed (especially property taxes), and they won't be fixed unless people complain about it. I don't think we should be sticking our heads in the sand and taking it up the rear if there's something that can be done about it.

There are some proposals that Corzine has floated recently to fix property taxes (although right now, they're a little ridiculous and completely unrealistic). So that means at least they have acknowledged it as a problem and are working to rectify it. The more people talk about it and make it an issue, the higher priority it will be.
I've lived in this state (NJ) for 33 years now. Every politician (save 1 or 2) had a plan for lowering taxes. I'm still waiting . The last plan that I read Corzine wanted to introduce was a backward sliding relief plan. People who earned more got less of a tax break. Let's see where this road leads us. I should have been more clear about the complaining statement. It stems from the post that stated a person would find it hard pressed to make their way in NJ if they were making 150K to which I totaly disagree.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,581,432 times
Quote:
I've lived in this state (NJ) for 33 years now. Every politician (save 1 or 2) had a plan for lowering taxes. I'm still waiting . The last plan that I read Corzine wanted to introduce was a backward sliding relief plan. People who earned more got less of a tax break. Let's see where this road leads us. I should have been more clear about the complaining statement. It stems from the post that stated a person would find it hard pressed to make their way in NJ if they were making 150K to which I totaly disagree.
Where do I sign to earn $150K/year legally???

I read the proposals and don't see any realistic things that would actually happen.

I can see the whole Corzine tenure being just to try to lower property taxes just like Bush's tenure has been with the wars.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Corzine may not be the right guy, who knows? At least he had a financial background, being the head of Goldman Sachs; most politicians probably barely know how to use a calculator or do basic math. But you're right, NJ doesn't have a good record at lowering taxes (or even not voting in criminals into office ).

I think maybe NJ needs to hit that breaking point where everyone realizes something drastic must be done. The middle class is definitely getting squeezed out of the state. I think the recent census data showed that NJ population is up from the last census, but middle class people are leaving the state and being replaced by more working class people.

Old 11-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Corzine may not be the right guy, who knows? At least he had a financial background, being the head of Goldman Sachs; most politicians probably barely know how to use a calculator or do basic math. But you're right, NJ doesn't have a good record at lowering taxes (or even not voting in criminals into office ).

I think maybe NJ needs to hit that breaking point where everyone realizes something drastic must be done. The middle class is definitely getting squeezed out of the state. I think the recent census data showed that NJ population is up from the last census, but middle class people are leaving the state and being replaced by more working class people.
It's the question of where can the middle class go/relocate that's not all that far from NJ. I have been possibly seeking to leave NJ too. I looked into PA and CT, both of these states definately have their drawbacks that hit the wallet hard enough.

Old 11-20-2006, 06:25 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
My wife and I are looking to move to either South Jersey or Delaware in a
55plus community. In both NJ and De, the houses are going for $300,000.

I know it sounds crazy but taxes in South Jersey are around $4500-$5100 for what we're looking at and we consider that reasonable.

Delaware taxes are $1800 which of course are dirt cheap compared to NJ.

While we would prefer staying in NJ, the cost is getting out of hand.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
It's the question of where can the middle class go/relocate that's not all that far from NJ. I have been possibly seeking to leave NJ too. I looked into PA and CT, both of these states definately have their drawbacks that hit the wallet hard enough.
Out of curiosity, what area of PA did you look in? From everything I have seen, PA is definitely a much cheaper state to live in than NJ, even if you live in Philly or its suburbs; but what I know could just be out of date.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
My wife and I are looking to move to either South Jersey or Delaware in a
55plus community. In both NJ and De, the houses are going for $300,000.

I know it sounds crazy but taxes in South Jersey are around $4500-$5100 for what we're looking at and we consider that reasonable.

Delaware taxes are $1800 which of course are dirt cheap compared to NJ.

While we would prefer staying in NJ, the cost is getting out of hand.
Just an update...

In Delaware, they don't tax the first $12,500 of your pension and no taxes on Social Security.

Another big plus to move there.

Now, I'm not sure where wer'e going to end up, but Delaware sure has an advantage over NJ.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, what area of PA did you look in? From everything I have seen, PA is definitely a much cheaper state to live in than NJ, even if you live in Philly or its suburbs; but what I know could just be out of date.
The question really becomes is PA really cheaper to live in than NJ?
I'm speaking of Delaware, Montgomery, and Chester counties in PA.

In PA you save a bit on insurance, but pay up to 1% of your pay to most municipalities in a TAX, plus another $52.00 additional in another TAX, and the gasoline costs more. Anywhere in the counties I listed, a decent apartment in a decent area runs almost the same dollars as in NJ. There's always seems to be alot of traffic in the PA area which can make it very frustrating to drive on the highways and even local roads if you want to get someplace in decent time.

In NJ the gasoline is less and insurance and property tax (not by a whole lot) is more.

I'm not buying a home but even with the big hoopla (and with very good reason) about property taxes in NJ - PA is not at all much/far behind as far as them being high.

In PA they are proposing raising various taxes and service prices.
An 11.5 cent increase to a Wholesale price of a gallon of gasoline which will equate to even a higher number at the pump, motor vehicle fees, and others.
There's a post in the PA threads that has an article pertaining to this - I forget where. If you'd like, I'll find it and let you know where it is - let me know .

Last edited by njguy; 11-21-2006 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-21-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
The question really becomes is PA really cheaper to live in than NJ?
I'm speaking of Delaware, Montgomery, and Chester counties in PA.

In PA you save a bit on insurance, but pay up to 1% of your pay to most municipalities in a TAX, plus another $52.00 additional in another TAX, and the gasoline costs more. Anywhere in the counties I listed, a decent apartment in a decent area runs almost the same dollars as in NJ. There's always seems to be alot of traffic in the PA area which can make it very frustrating to drive on the highways and even local roads if you want to get someplace in decent time.

In NJ the gasoline is less and insurance and property tax (not be a whole lot) is more.

I'm not buying a home but even with the big hoopla (and with very good reason) about property taxes in NJ - PA is not at all much/far behind as far as them being high.

In PA they are proposing raising various taxes and service prices.
An 11.5 cent increase to a Wholesale price of a gallon of gasoline which will equate to even a higher number at the pump, motor vehicle fees, and others.
There's a post in the PA threads that has an article pertaining to this - I forget where. If you'd like, I'll find it and let you know where it is - let me know .

We looked at a 55+ community in Delaware County, PA. Taxes were over $6000. Not sure what happened to PA, but it appears certain sections are looking like NJ in regard to taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey