Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 786 times

Advertisements

This is my first post. We are re-locating and having a hard time finding an apartment for our family, which includes a big dog. One place that looks hopeful is on Ashwood Ave in Summit. In searching posts, I've found vague references to that SE part of Summit not being preferable. Is that due to the elementary school, Jefferson, having a poor rating? Is there drug activity or more crime? I'm not really finding out WHY people don't prefer that area. Any insights would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2014, 08:09 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKCa View Post
This is my first post. We are re-locating and having a hard time finding an apartment for our family, which includes a big dog. One place that looks hopeful is on Ashwood Ave in Summit. In searching posts, I've found vague references to that SE part of Summit not being preferable. Is that due to the elementary school, Jefferson, having a poor rating? Is there drug activity or more crime? I'm not really finding out WHY people don't prefer that area. Any insights would be appreciated!
Summit, NJ is an upscale area. The zip code there is 07901. The Average Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) there for 2011 was $249,328. To get a prospective on possible drug activity and more crime for that area, phone the Summit Police's non-emergency phone number and ask them to get the real scoop.

Summit, NJ is nice, but that part is more downscale, the lots are smaller and the homes much older. I don't know this for a fact, but I suspect there is more rentals in that area which possibly cater to those with lower incomes. Most people in Summit own a house. You can look in realtor.com and zillow.com to see other areas of Summit which might be more desirable.

As I mentioned, I would check with the Summit police to answer your questions, but likely your neighbors there are going to be renters who work in blue collar jobs, while the rest of Summit you would be living next door to someone who easily had a six-figure income and might work in financial industry or pharmaceutical, or technology.

Also, use Google Street Views for the addresses and go up and down the streets. Look for homes for sale in the area and look up their Google Street Views too.

In general, my impression of the area isn't that you are going to get robbed, but it isn't going to be quiet living there. I wouldn't be surprised if a neighbor in that area thinks nothing of blasting their stereo while other areas of Summit wouldn't think of doing something like that. As the say, your mileage may vary, but I would look into the resources I mentioned. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: