Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 1,841 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a fresh uni graduate who is leaving college without debt and a ~30k starting salary job. During school, I wanted to be in the hustle of the city, so I'm living in Manhattan. But I was born in a quiet town, and I'm not really happy in the NYC buzz anymore. I'm also sick of having to split a kitchen/bathroom with others to live within a reasonable price range. Now that I'm done with school, I need to return to a less intense environment.

My work is along the NYC coast of the Hudson, so I'd like to commute from Jersey to New York. I'm trying to identify a town that offers studio housing for around $1,000 monthly (I have a guarantor who will help me with paying housing costs up to 1500). I have no issues commuting ~1.5 hours, and in fact kind of prefer a lengthier commute, whether by train/car/bus (my work has parking).

There are so many little Jersey town, I really don't know where to begin. From a preliminary search, it looked like Nyack, NY had a lot of nice studio apartment offerings, and that the commute would be about correct. But I'm pretty much cool with anywhere, as long as it's safe, feels more neighborhoody, and has the right price. In Japan, I lived happily on what was pretty much a farm, so I'm ok in being in a place that is 'detached from nightlife' or whatever.

Let's see, what else...I'm single, no pets, no kids, and I don't need schools. The favorite places I've lived are in Kyoto/ Portland, Oregon, so a town with a hip/ artsier vibe is cool (but not quintessential).

Thanks so much for any help in advance!

Last edited by MeBeardless; 11-30-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,841 times
I should add that my work is in the West Chelsea area, so a walk/ rollerskate down from Port Authority/ the Midtown Ferry wouldn't be an issue! Anyone have thoughts?

Old 11-30-2014, 12:57 PM

188 posts, read 414,352 times
Try looking in Montclair (just over an hour to Penn Station). If you want smaller, maybe Dumont (only serviced by bus).

I live in Weehawken, in a studio under 1k. Still urban, but quieter. Usually takes around 20 minutes to Port Authority. They have a shuttle to the ferry, but it takes a little longer from where I live.

Jersey City Heights is another place to consider.

I used to live in Central NJ, and took NJ Transit train in. It was not too bad, but the commute was around 2 hours door to door. It was good temporarily, but eventually got to me. Pretty much Sleep, Work, sometimes cook, and sleep again. I saved money on rent, but with the additional cost of the train pass and eating out more frequently, I did not save as much money. Plus I did not have as much of a social life, since I had to always consider the train schedule.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:22 PM

260 posts, read 326,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBeardless View Post
Hi there,

I'm a fresh uni graduate who is leaving college without debt and a ~30k starting salary job. During school, I wanted to be in the hustle of the city, so I'm living in Manhattan. But I was born in a quiet town, and I'm not really happy in the NYC buzz anymore. I'm also sick of having to split a kitchen/bathroom with others to live within a reasonable price range. Now that I'm done with school, I need to return to a less intense environment.

My work is along the NYC coast of the Hudson, so I'd like to commute from Jersey to New York. I'm trying to identify a town that offers studio housing for around $1,000 monthly (I have a guarantor who will help me with paying housing costs up to 1500). I have no issues commuting ~1.5 hours, and in fact kind of prefer a lengthier commute, whether by train/car/bus (my work has parking).

There are so many little Jersey town, I really don't know where to begin. From a preliminary search, it looked like Nyack, NY had a lot of nice studio apartment offerings, and that the commute would be about correct. But I'm pretty much cool with anywhere, as long as it's safe, feels more neighborhoody, and has the right price. In Japan, I lived happily on what was pretty much a farm, so I'm ok in being in a place that is 'detached from nightlife' or whatever.

Let's see, what else...I'm single, no pets, no kids, and I don't need schools. The favorite places I've lived are in Kyoto/ Portland, Oregon, so a town with a hip/ artsier vibe is cool (but not quintessential).

Thanks so much for any help in advance!
Bloomfield, or South Orange there is a train station there with good commute and also college area with some bar scene. The train ride to Pen Station is like 40min, then take the subway or walk. In both cases there is housing in walking distance from the train station. Millburn is also good.

$1,000 is not reasonable, you can find housing for $1,000, but it's some-one's attic or basement or a crappy broken down building. on a full 1 beadroom expect to pay 1200-1500 at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey