Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,677 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a 32yo professional female relocating to central NJ in January, looking for a community with an urban vibe (or as much as I can get in central NJ!). Other threads have been helpful and I’m just looking for some current/updated information.

I’m currently looking for apartments in Princeton and New Brunswick. (I’ve seen New Hope mentioned a few times as well but I’m not concentrating my search there.)

I understand the commute situation between Princeton and New Brunswick, but downtown New Brunswick is very appealing to me coming from Chicago. I don’t know anyone in central NJ so I’m looking for a community where I can get out and meet people. I also bike and run so a nearby park/trail is a plus.

Condensed info:
Where are you coming from? Chicago
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Princeton

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $1,400-1,700 base rent
What kind of place are you looking for ? 1 BR preferred (no studios), may consider 2BR if price is right

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Self
Do you need/want good public schools? N/A

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in- Young, Safe, Active (Things to Do)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance- walkable/access to transit, community, new(er) construction

Any additional advice (or confirmations!) appreciated!

Also, can anyone offer any input on the following apartment communities:
New Brunswick - Plaza Square
New Brunswick - SkyLine (and alternatives to the $150/month parking garage)
Princeton - Mews at Princeton Junction

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
I can't speak for New Brunswick but the Mews at Princeton Jct is in Princeton Jct although it does share Princetons' zip code. In fact the Mews is across Rte 1 from Princeton. Princeton Jct (West Windsor) is pretty much suburban. The Mews does have a shuttle to the Princeton Jct train station with train (Dinky) service into Princeton.

There are also rentals available at Canal Pointe/Colonnade Pointe located in West Windsor but on the Princeton side of Rte 1. Canal Pointe is located within walking distance of Market Fair which is a small mall with some upscalish shops, a few restaurants and coffee places. Very easy commute into Princeton.
Canal Pointe is within walking distance to the R and D canal which has a bike/walking trail along the entire length and a canoe/kayak rental place.

You can take a look at Plainsboro NJ which is close to Princeton and offers a much wider selection of rental options.

Welcome to NJ!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:21 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
I know this won't help a lot but my favorite bike trail when I lived in NJ was the Delaware and Raritan canal path which starts where the canal starts in New Brunswick and ends in Trenton.(I only went as far as Princeton)

Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park

Old 12-05-2014, 03:45 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I know this won't help a lot but my favorite bike trail when I lived in NJ was the Delaware and Raritan canal path which starts where the canal starts in New Brunswick and ends in Trenton.(I only went as far as Princeton)

Delaware & Raritan Canal State Park
I take my power walks a few times a week on the D&R Canal path, and I can tell you that when you are on the nicer portions of that path (in Somerset and Kingston), you would think that you were several hundred miles from civilization. The absolute quiet and the abundance of native flora and fauna are just that amazing.

In addition to walkers, runners, and bikers, there are occasionally also people riding horses, so just be sure to avoid the "deposits" left by the horses.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:40 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,851,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenderbar View Post
Hi,

I'm a 32yo professional female relocating to central NJ in January, looking for a community with an urban vibe (or as much as I can get in central NJ!). Other threads have been helpful and I’m just looking for some current/updated information.

I’m currently looking for apartments in Princeton and New Brunswick. (I’ve seen New Hope mentioned a few times as well but I’m not concentrating my search there.)

I understand the commute situation between Princeton and New Brunswick, but downtown New Brunswick is very appealing to me coming from Chicago. I don’t know anyone in central NJ so I’m looking for a community where I can get out and meet people. I also bike and run so a nearby park/trail is a plus.

Condensed info:
Where are you coming from? Chicago
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working? Princeton

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? $1,400-1,700 base rent
What kind of place are you looking for ? 1 BR preferred (no studios), may consider 2BR if price is right

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Self
Do you need/want good public schools? N/A

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in- Young, Safe, Active (Things to Do)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance- walkable/access to transit, community, new(er) construction

Any additional advice (or confirmations!) appreciated!

Also, can anyone offer any input on the following apartment communities:
New Brunswick - Plaza Square
New Brunswick - SkyLine (and alternatives to the $150/month parking garage)
Princeton - Mews at Princeton Junction

Thank you!

You can take NJ Transit train from New Brunswick to Princeton Junction & the Dinky train one stop into town, a quick commute. You don't say where in Princeton you'll be working though.. A lof of places have Princeton mailing addresses, but are not physically in the town.

There's also a bus: Coach USA
that runs from NB to Princeton.

I agree with the other poster to look at Canal Pointe or Colonnade Pointe in West Windsor (they have Princeton mailing addresses.) Good public transportation from there into downtown Princeton, including NJ Transit buses & Princeton University's Tiger buses. Tiger buses are free to everyone in the community.
New Jersey Transit - Home
Transportation & Parking

You might get a 1 bedroom there for $1,700 or a bit higher, but parking is free & each unit has washer/dryer. The area is lovely & family oriented, very safe. They are condos, but most owners rent out the units. Check Craigslist, or contact a local realtor.

Princeton has lots of theater, a great museum & lots of free lectures that are open to the public (lots of famous authors & others speak there all the time.)

The NorthEast Corridor line of NJ Transit will get you to the City easily whenever you want (or Coach / Suburban bus.)

Welcome to NJ.

Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,668 times
Coming from Chicago you're going to be very disappointed

Old 12-05-2014, 11:02 PM

527 posts, read 708,863 times
Unless you live in Bergen or Hudson County, you will be bored in NJ unlike in Chicago. Keep that in mind.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:23 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Coming from Chicago you're going to be very disappointed
There is always the train to NYC.....which is 100x better than Chicago

Old 12-06-2014, 06:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Unless you live in Bergen or Hudson County, you will be bored in NJ unlike in Chicago. Keep that in mind.
Maybe a change to fresh air will be welcomed, not everybody wants to live in the overcrowded cities next door to NYC.
The best part about living in Central NJ is that the grime and grit of the city is only a short train ride away.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:15 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
I would also look in the Plainsboro/West Windsor area~lots of rental options, some with w/d in the unit. Although they look older, most have been updated with granite and SS appliances. Lots of trails in the area, places for biking, running and kayaking, safe and a younger/active lifestyle. Good medical facility (new hospital), good shopping along Routes 1 & 130 (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, local grocery McCaffrey's or McCaffertys, and a great organic grocery store, the name escapes me). A little less congested (or traffic moves better) than New Brunswick area. I would concentrate on living closer to Princeton and use New Brunswick or the train to NYC as options for getting out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey