Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM

24 posts, read 35,537 times

Advertisements

I'm in the market to buy a house and with one house in particular, the seller's disclosure states that he/she is NOT aware of any termites/pests or damage caused by termites/pests. However, he/she has stated that they are under contract by a license pest control company where routine maintenance is done 4 times a year.

Does this mean that there was a pest infestation to begin with and has to be kept in control by this yearly maintenance program? Or are there people who just do routine preventative pest control whether it's needed or not?

Do I need to be concerned about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 PM

223 posts, read 319,825 times
The house my husband & I had bought had been treated because carpenter ants had been found in the crawl space during a previous inspection (the previous buyers' mortgage fell through). The inspection found no termite/ant damage. I was concerned, but my realtor said that carpenter ants are very common in NJ/the northeast, and that if we regularly treat for them, we should be fine. He also said that he had his own house treated quarterly for pests.

I'd be more concerned in your shoes if there was actual damage. If they have people come out 4 times per year, they're being proactive in preventing damage from pests.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:49 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,164,722 times
No, some home owners get regular pest control treatment for spiders, ants and other insects commonly found in homes and garages. I did get a pest control plan a few years ago but then been doing it myself a few times a year.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:00 PM

11,337 posts, read 10,971,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basingstoke View Post
I'm in the market to buy a house and with one house in particular, the seller's disclosure states that he/she is NOT aware of any termites/pests or damage caused by termites/pests. However, he/she has stated that they are under contract by a license pest control company where routine maintenance is done 4 times a year.

Does this mean that there was a pest infestation to begin with and has to be kept in control by this yearly maintenance program? Or are there people who just do routine preventative pest control whether it's needed or not?

Do I need to be concerned about this?
All houses have some pests, and some damage. As long as your home inspection did not reveal major damage, you should be good to go. Plan on maintaining the pest control service and you should be able to keep the problem under control for the duration of your stay.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 PM

24 posts, read 35,537 times
Thanks for the replies. How much does a contract with a pest control company normally cost? The house is around 2500 sq ft with garage and finished basement.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,161,001 times
We've had quarterly pest control for years to stop the carpenter ants. We live right next to a woods. It costs a little more than $100 for each treatment and they come quarterly.

We purchased a second home in FL and one of the first things I did was get pest control although there are no issues. I wanted to keep the spiders and palmetto bugs out.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:39 PM

997 posts, read 1,054,391 times
We have an issue with carpenter bees, and as a result have a minimum of three treatments a year. Had we not been proactive in treating this, they could have caused a great deal of damage burrowing into the fascia. I think we pay about $100 per treatment, but if there are signs of activity between treatments, the company comes out to treat the property without charging us.

As long as your inspection doesn't show any signs of an active infestation or damage, you should be fine.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,164,722 times
This is super-extrapolation but please bear with me as I try to make a point of how immaterial it could be.

Buying a house that has a pest control plan is in many ways equivalent to marrying someone who gets a physical every year. Getting a physical regularly may either arise from a past ailment that may resurface or a proactive preventive initiative. But as long as the current medical reports are all clear, you're free to assume he/she is healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey