Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 PM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times

Advertisements

This will be a def read.

Amazon.com: The Soprano State: New Jersey's Culture of Corruption: Books: Bob Ingle,Sandy McClure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Yeah, that's NJ. You gotta a problem wid dat? Fugeddaboutit.

I hope the authors remembered to mention that we do have great pizza.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:46 PM

109 posts, read 345,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I hope the authors remembered to mention that we do have great pizza.
comical, isn't it? :rofl:

Old 01-05-2008, 07:13 AM

604 posts, read 2,913,408 times
Anybody who has ever been involved in the heavy construction industry knows who really runs NJ.
You can bash the Democrats all you want. You can bash the Republicans all you want. Your bashing in the wrong place.

E

Old 01-05-2008, 09:33 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
First off I have not read the book. I am not trying to say NJ is perfect or even that anything in this book is untrue.

What I will say however is. The reason people joke about NJ are the same reasons people bash celebrities who gain weight or get divorced or whatever. Or people who bash the Catholic Church. There is an amount of envy over the accomplishments and success. If you notice, the late night TV hosts dont bash places like Tennessee. That would make them look like bullys picking on poor old Tennessee. But if he bashs NJ, He is the little guy taking on the giant. He places himself in the underdog position and almost everyone roots for the underdog.

One more thing. I could live anywhere I want in this country. I choose to live in New Jersey.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Anybody who has ever been involved in the heavy construction industry knows who really runs NJ.
You can bash the Democrats all you want. You can bash the Republicans all you want. Your bashing in the wrong place.E
The culture, and in NJ it is a culture, of corrupt politicians the the fault of the politicians themselves and those who re-elect them over and over again.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
One more thing. I could live anywhere I want in this country. I choose to live in New Jersey.

So do I, but only as long as I continue working. When I decide to quit working (career-wise that is) me, my family and my wallet are outta here.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:42 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
First off I have not read the book. I am not trying to say NJ is perfect or even that anything in this book is untrue.

What I will say however is. The reason people joke about NJ are the same reasons people bash celebrities who gain weight or get divorced or whatever. Or people who bash the Catholic Church. There is an amount of envy over the accomplishments and success. If you notice, the late night TV hosts dont bash places like Tennessee. That would make them look like bullys picking on poor old Tennessee. But if he bashs NJ, He is the little guy taking on the giant. He places himself in the underdog position and almost everyone roots for the underdog.

I haven't read the book but it sure sounds funny. NJ does have corupt politics in some towns. I know there is a probe going on right now in Manalapan.
All of TN is not poor. The Nashville area is growing as a type. The Average Annual income in the Nashville are is in the $60,000s. The Middle of the State seems to be richer than the West, Memphis being the Armpit.
If the TV hosts were reading our recent news they would have a Hayday with Jokes. It seems a robbery occured at the Voters Administration office of 2 laptops with 360,000 names and Social Secrity Numbers with the passwords taped to the computers.
Moe, Larry and Curly must be running that office. The other govt. offices could not believe the lack of security, the security camera was unplugged.
We made sure we were protected with a plan from Lifelock and also one thru American Express.I also viewed my credit report.
But would I move back to NJ, NO- It's a part of my life that is passed and I love where I am. My son is still there, but he told me that will pass also.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:56 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Just got the book from Amazon (along with Putting Taxpayers First by Steve Lonegan), and this is mind boggling what goes on in this state. I guess the bumper sticker stating "will the last one out of Jersey, please turn off the lights?" is absolutely true.

We need a change... now...

Old 02-23-2008, 08:35 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Just got the book from Amazon (along with Putting Taxpayers First by Steve Lonegan), and this is mind boggling what goes on in this state. I guess the bumper sticker stating "will the last one out of Jersey, please turn off the lights?" is absolutely true.

We need a change... now...
Agreed. Maybe the book came out 1 year to early. Should have happened a little before the election.

The People of the Republic of Jersey need major change. Unfort, most of them are lemmings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: