Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,592,494 times

Advertisements

38k a year in Jersey is borderline poverty, you need 70k a year here to live decent, 100 to 120k to live comfortably. You are only looking at taking home $2200 per month... Even with free rent, that's low. You will have transit costs if you are on a path line this is $117 a month if NJ transit then it could be over $400 as you have to transfer to path or subway. Add in a cost of car and you could spend $900 a month in transportation as insurance in NJ is out of control.

Food costs are lower up here if you eat out consistently...

Sin products are double as in alcohol and tobacco which is triple, it's over $10 for a pack of smokes up here.

For a job in the city, I have lived in the south and am currently moving back down. I am currently in NJ and interviewed for several jobs in NYC, I make right around 100k in Jersey, I asked for 140k starting. The interviewers didn't even blink, ultimately I didn't get the 3 jobs I interviewed for but companies in the city will pay for talent, as it's hard to find people with the right skills.

Honestly I would tell them to double the pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 06:34 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,743,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
38k a year in Jersey is borderline poverty, you need 70k a year here to live decent, 100 to 120k to live comfortably. You are only looking at taking home $2200 per month... Even with free rent, that's low. You will have transit costs if you are on a path line this is $117 a month if NJ transit then it could be over $400 as you have to transfer to path or subway. Add in a cost of car and you could spend $900 a month in transportation as insurance in NJ is out of control.

Food costs are lower up here if you eat out consistently...

Sin products are double as in alcohol and tobacco which is triple, it's over $10 for a pack of smokes up here.

For a job in the city, I have lived in the south and am currently moving back down. I am currently in NJ and interviewed for several jobs in NYC, I make right around 100k in Jersey, I asked for 140k starting. The interviewers didn't even blink, ultimately I didn't get the 3 jobs I interviewed for but companies in the city will pay for talent, as it's hard to find people with the right skills.

Honestly I would tell them to double the pay.
No. the per capita income in nj is $38k. definitely not poverty.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:20 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,592,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
No. the per capita income in nj is $38k. definitely not poverty.
There are two Jersey's... Anything around 287 and inside of it, then the rest of Jersey. Outside of Newark and a couple of other places a studio rents for over $1000 a month, add in the cost of a car and a few other expenses and you really cannot make it on $38k a year...

Now the rest of Jersey is a lot more affordable as rents are lower...

Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,743,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
There are two Jersey's... Anything around 287 and inside of it, then the rest of Jersey. Outside of Newark and a couple of other places a studio rents for over $1000 a month, add in the cost of a car and a few other expenses and you really cannot make it on $38k a year...

Now the rest of Jersey is a lot more affordable as rents are lower...
The OP has room and board paid for and will be living with roommates.

But even if he wasn't. Poverty in nj is defined as "family of three making less than $37,060."

This accounts for close to 35% in Essex and Hudson counties. Plenty of families live on less sadly. For one person it wouldn't be considered poverty. Not saying it would be easy, but its definitely not poverty.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:06 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,871,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiatocity View Post
Thanks everyone, I have replied to their offer email requiring information on the location. I did not realize the vast difference in prices for commuting. If I was on the path line or they paid for the commute would this be a plausible salary? I currently make much less and live with my parents but I also just graduated and I am out debt free. I had been in the medical world for 5 years and now have my B.S in Psychology/Sociology and want to try the business world for a change. This small company gives great hands on training and are giving me the chance to grow within their company knowing my education and work background. So far I have had job offers that are commission based business to business sales ( I think we all know how those are). Anyways, I am up for a challenge and want to learn and grow but I also do not want to be left on my butt in the middle of a city I have never lived in. After three month they will review my progress for better pay. This deal in NYC will be for 13+ months working as their analyst. After those months I can pick to stay for more money or I can travel to the next consulting deal available.
If (and only if) the job is the kind of stepping stone into non-sales business work you believe it to be, especially given your current background, it will be worth coming up here to take it regardless of the housing situation.

Seeing your first post, the though is that someone from a much cheaper area could be making a mistake in moving here for a salary that is much smaller in local terms than they expect, but it is definitely a livable salary for a single person even before the housing allowance. Since you're coming for the opportunity to break into a field, I'd pull the trigger -- you might (or might not, depending on current salary and whether your parents are asking you to cover any of the bills) be tighter on discretionary income then you are used to but it's an investment in your future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: