Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 02:28 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You poor thing.

I don't cite the basis for many thoughts here. I wasn't giving advice as a lawyer, but it was based on the conversation I mentioned and some general life experience (including serving on juries).

In contrast, your direct advice seemed to be to ignore the law with zero backing whatsoever. I provided a reasonable caution about following your advice. After all this, surely you have some support for your advice by now...?
thanks for feeling sorry for me it's terrible that someone who should have already put his foot in his mouth is still making me talk to him.

I can come up with fake and exaggerated examples too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 02:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Tell them when asked questions that your a Fundamental Christian and all your view and morals come from God first. They will get rid of you and you wont be picked! They also ask you can you do a long trail. Raise you hand and tell the judge that you have a daughter with no one else to care for her. They will not take you. I noticed that all the people who had family situations were let go, but not work related.
Re-read the OP. They didn't say anything about being a fundamental christian.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:59 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Re-read the OP. They didn't say anything about being a fundamental christian.
LOL, No, that's what she's SUGGESTING the OP do to get out of jury duty.

It's like that old tip about getting rid of a man hitting on you that you don't want to hit on you--ask him, "Are you saved?" They go away real fast.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,188,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If this is going to cause a headache for you, the best option is to carry some Aspirin. You don't want something as simple as a headache to stop you from performing your constitutional duty. When you meet with them, simply explain to them where you live and that you don't have a car. They will use your address (which they already have) to help you find the best way to travel to court. A train is very likely.

If you are the sole caretaker of your child, the state of NJ gives you an opportunity to prove that childcare options would cause financial hardship. They'll cross reference this with your family income and come to a determination. Be assured that the court will NOT make you put your child in childcare unless you make a certain amount of income. They also provide childcare options near the courthouse.

This is a great opportunity for you and a constitutional duty. Serve proudly.

Source: Worked in the state courthouse.
I think your answer was rather snarky, especially for someone concerned about child care issues. Personally, I don't think it is reasonable to ask jurors to travel 3-4 hours per day to get to jury duty. It's 71 miles from Fort Lee to Trenton. Factor in traffic, weather, and accidents and it could easily exceed 3 hours. Where do you draw the line- 4 hours of travel, 5, 6? And your suggestion about the train would be even worse, unless there's a train that goes from Ft. Lee to Trenton, non-stop, direct.

Opportunity, yeah. That's like having the "opportunity to pay your taxes, and pay them proudly"! Why does state court have to be all in Trenton? There's no reason the state couldn't set up satellite courts in places like Fort Lee and Cape May. Oh, that's right it's NJ, the he** with the taxpayer.

BTW, I've been called several times and have served on regular jury duty, but I would consider doing just about anything to get out of doing that drive for 20 weeks!

Last edited by macrodome2; 12-20-2014 at 03:29 PM..

Old 12-20-2014, 03:25 PM

839 posts, read 1,209,184 times
If you have any medical issues you can get out of it. I got this letter a few years ago. I had some stomach issues and no way I could sit there for hours on a jury.my doctor wrote a note excusing me for medical issues and I never heard back from them. Was legit but I openly admit I did not want to do it, I have done regular jury duty 3 times and no issue but this was way to far and again medical issues. Also had a friend who got one. He had no car and was excused as he could not get there. No real mass transit were he lived.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
thanks for feeling sorry for me it's terrible that someone who should have already put his foot in his mouth is still making me talk to him.

I can come up with fake and exaggerated examples too.
You already did...

Old 12-21-2014, 02:46 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Quote:
You already did...
So we're even then

Handshake?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
which is 100% more than you brought to the table.

Of course you talk out of your a$$ a lot and expect people to buy it. We all remember Sandy and the darkness of your heart.
well, i actually did personally get out of jury duty by doing what i said. so im not sure how your fake opinion and subsequent lie to support it are better than what i offered.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
I think your answer was rather snarky, especially for someone concerned about child care issues. Personally, I don't think it is reasonable to ask jurors to travel 3-4 hours per day to get to jury duty. It's 71 miles from Fort Lee to Trenton. Factor in traffic, weather, and accidents and it could easily exceed 3 hours. Where do you draw the line- 4 hours of travel, 5, 6? And your suggestion about the train would be even worse, unless there's a train that goes from Ft. Lee to Trenton, non-stop, direct.

Opportunity, yeah. That's like having the "opportunity to pay your taxes, and pay them proudly"! Why does state court have to be all in Trenton? There's no reason the state couldn't set up satellite courts in places like Fort Lee and Cape May. Oh, that's right it's NJ, the he** with the taxpayer.

BTW, I've been called several times and have served on regular jury duty, but I would consider doing just about anything to get out of doing that drive for 20 weeks!
while people have a right to a trial by jury based on the constitution, im not aware of it being a constitutional obligation for people to serve on a jury. juries are for government workers, unemployed and retired people. most of us have better things to do with our time.

on a side note, the jury system would be better if there were professional jurors for the purpose rather than enlisting random members of society and then ultimately only getting a certain type which often compriseds of people not well suited for the very important job.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:47 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
well, i actually did personally get out of jury duty by doing what i said. so im not sure how your fake opinion and subsequent lie to support it are better than what i offered.
Where to begin...?

Your suggestion for trying to get out of serving was fine and I did not ever say otherwise. I was the other poster's reckless advice that I cautioned against.

I'm not sure what a "fake" opinion is... one that you disagree with? As to my past chat on the subject with a lawyer, you can believe it or not; I recall it clearly.

If you eventually choose to follow the advice of the other poster and simply ignore the summons, I again implore you to let us know how that works out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey