Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Damn the drycleaners is gone? Used to use them all the time. Little restaurant/nightclub up the street on cherry [Mi Tierra] brings out alot of drunks after dark.
Yeah, bro, it's gone now. But the Red Apple Chinese Restaurant is still there. Man, I still order Red Apple whenever I get a chance.

I think Mi Tierra is still open, but I'm not sure. I remember when it was the "Gaslight." Wow, I'm really dating myself now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,105 times
WELL SAID! ! ! I live up the street from you by Elmora and Linden Ave.. hello neighbor.. I too get annoyed w/ people posting all the negative stuff that happens in our CITY.. but they do not bother to post all the GOOD stuff we have..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagrecco1982 View Post
I actually currently live in the 300 block of West Jersey. And since I'm currently living there I can give you a better opinion of the area instead of those who no longer live there and have opinions or those who pass by during their commutes and the "impressions" they get. I've always felt safe in this area. I do my jogging at night and have never had a problem. Is it as nice the closer you get to Broad St? Not really. Are there bullets flying at you? No. Are there drive-bys? No. Are there gangbangers/drug dealers on the corners? No. And let's get something straight, just because they opened up a urban barber shop, does not mean that everyone is a "gangbanger"! Not everyone that dresses in Hip-Hop clothing is a felon. That's being prejudice. How can that assumption be made? I commute into NYC (NE CORRIDOR) everyday and come home late at night and not once have I been approaced by anyone, robbed by anyone, or seen anything out of the ordinary than urban professionals walking home after a long day at work. My car is parked ALL NIGHT on the street as is my partners car, and have never had a problem (and no I do not use the Club - pointless deterents)My neighbors, we are very friendly. A warm smile and a shout of "Good Morning" are routine in the area. My neighbor is in charge of marketing at Wakefern and I am always greeted by "goodies" on my front door. Am I saying that this is how everyone is on the W. Jersey? No, but stop making assumptions that no one is neighborly in Elizabeth anymore. Bums, welfare cases, gangbangers, drug dealers don't run rampant on our street. Since we are very neighborly, I know that my neighbors are nurses from Trinitas, School Bd. members, Deacons from my near by churches, police officers, doctors, guppies, yuppies, nuns from Trinitas, etc, etc, etc.

I am sorry if I went a little overboard but for months I lurked and stayed quiet when anyone said anything bad about Elizabeth. But I am now tired of seeing the area I live in being berated. I don't live in a crack-den, nor am I dodging bullets as I leave my front door. My mentality is that Elizabeth is a CITY. It's urban living, and if you don't want it, go live in a town with population of 25,000 and call it a day. Just remember, that crimes knows no borders.

mosaic9876, if you need a true account of the area without sugarcoating it or being biased, drop me a PM. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
I lived over Peterstown until I was 5, then we moved to Elmora - Vine/Grove till I was 10. We then lived out behind the 7-11 on Elmora by the circle for 8 years until I moved on my own near Dehart/Rahway for 10 years. I KNOW Elizabeth and I KNOW the area mosaic9876 was asking about. Both E-Town and I gave very accurate descriptions of that area. We are not looking through rose colored glasses.

E-Town and I are not trying to talk S**T about Elizabeth. Elizabeth still has alot to offer its residents. But I think I can speak for both of us in saying that now, because we are no longer living there, we can now see it from another perspective and regrettably see more of its flaws. I used to think Elizabeth was the greatest little big city in the world when I lived there. But I had no idea what the rest of the state was like in comparison. I have been travelling around not only the Country but the World for the last 10 years and have first hand experience with other big cities and small suburban towns and there is a HUGE difference. If all you have ever known was "city life" then Elizabeth will be nothing new to you and you will most likely never have a problem dependong on what part of town you live in. But if you are a country kid or suburbanite that has never "lived" or spent time in an urban area then you may be in for a bit of culture shock. I would much rather allow someone to be prepared for the worst then be surprised by how well things turn out than to paint a rosey picture and then they have a horrible experience.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:21 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,554 times
Quote:
I lived over Peterstown until I was 5, then we moved to Elmora - Vine/Grove till I was 10. We then lived out behind the 7-11 on Elmora by the circle for 8 years until I moved on my own near Dehart/Rahway for 10 years. I KNOW Elizabeth and I KNOW the area mosaic9876 was asking about. Both E-Town and I gave very accurate descriptions of that area. We are not looking through rose colored glasses.

E-Town and I are not trying to talk S**T about Elizabeth. Elizabeth still has alot to offer its residents. But I think I can speak for both of us in saying that now, because we are no longer living there, we can now see it from another perspective and regrettably see more of its flaws. I used to think Elizabeth was the greatest little big city in the world when I lived there. But I had no idea what the rest of the state was like in comparison. I have been travelling around not only the Country but the World for the last 10 years and have first hand experience with other big cities and small suburban towns and there is a HUGE difference. If all you have ever known was "city life" then Elizabeth will be nothing new to you and you will most likely never have a problem dependong on what part of town you live in. But if you are a country kid or suburbanite that has never "lived" or spent time in an urban area then you may be in for a bit of culture shock. I would much rather allow someone to be prepared for the worst then be surprised by how well things turn out than to paint a rosey picture and then they have a horrible experience.
Well said, Rob. My sentiments exactly.

Even though I don't live there anymore, I'll always consider Elizabeth home. And though I'm not trying to be negative, maybe I am a little tougher on Elizabeth because I have an emotional attachment. Again, there are good parts: Westminster, Elmora Hills, certain sections of Elmora. But, for the most part, the rest of the city (and my old area, the one Mosaic was asking about, in particular) has changed for the worse. The influx of illegals and the migration of the old Italian and Jewish communities has had a devastating effect on this city, and it hasn't recovered. Now can it recover? If Elizabeth gets the ferry, then, yes, it sure can. Will it? I don't know, but right now it looks like a shell of its once former self. The city the optimists talk about, the "best little city in the world," is the old Elizabeth, not the current version. But believe me, nobody hopes more than me that I'm wrong and it does go back to being that city again.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM

562 posts, read 2,615,105 times
Rob.. I lived in many areas in Elizabeth.. and I too traveled all over.. I lived in Manhattan the upper east side for 4 years.. now that i;m back to Elizabeth, i can truly say that i feel as safe as living in the city.. to your point.. i guess u r right if you are coming from a little town, country like place and looking for something like that.. do not move to Elizabeth.. Elizabeth is a CITY so there tend to be more people.. you don't need to paint a nice picture.. just stick to the truth.. and no need to make people expect the worst.. why do that?? that's what keeps good people away from a city with lots of potential.. you should invite them to come over to see for themselves..

btw: i live in Elizabeth b/c i see the potential it has.. and it's an option for me to live here.. it's not a financial thing.. but why spend all my money on high rents when i can buy in this city, live very comfortable and save some money..

Quote:

Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 8,478 times
Default its ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaic9876 View Post
Does anyone have any information regarding how decent of an area the 100 block of West Jersey Street is? Give it to me straight people!
i live right in back of west jersey st and i would say it is ok. it is an urban neighborhood so dont expect hollywood.lol. i been here a year and i truely feel safe

Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 AM

70 posts, read 336,863 times
I've always felt safe in the area, and you absolutely right - its urban, not hollywood. I think this will probably be one of the areas of Elizabeth where redevelopment will happen quicker - because we know how well the waterfront faired. Across the street from where I live they are going to start a 6 story luxury condo building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey