Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penga25 View Post
this thread is about food and asians being smarter now...

that said, my daughter is half asian, i guess i will bring her to houlians every other time we eat out..
thanks. Im happy to divert this thread from its original intent. who needs another thread complaining about people that actually care about the school their kids go to?

is your wife Asian? what country? does she like to take the kids out to restaurants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:19 PM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i have been to that houlihans so many times over the past 5 years and i still love it every time i go there. the texas roadhouse meal was awesome also. i got a ribeye steak smothered in onions, mushrooms & cheese.
I've passed that place but never ate there. I'll have to try it.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
That's about right. I'm Asian and I never went to Houlihans. Though I did frequent a local Texas hot dog place (Clixes) in Midland Park/Wyckoff when I was a kid. I was the only Asian there. Guess I was a slacker.
Ah, Clixes! It was in Wyckoff, but Clix Pruiksma was from Midland Park. Good place to slack off.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:27 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I see when people, specifically parents are choosing where to live, school choice is foremost. People are seemingly willing to spend perhaps $200K+ on a similar house to move to a place with a good school district.

I attended high school in NJ and it is a Top 20 school (which I think is a joke, but that is for another thread) and over the roughly 2 decades since then, I have met several people who graduated from several different high schools.

Anyway, having the benefit of hindsight and having seen what people accomplish in life coming from where, my 2 cents is that the importance of school district is vastly, VASTLY overrated.

OK. If you finish as valedictorian of Piscataway High school (ranked somewhere in the middle) and the valedictorian of Millburn high school, it makes a difference. You probably have your choice of schools if you are valedictorian of Millburn, Piscataway less so. How much of a difference does that make in life? I would argue little, but it's still there.

Still, the vast majority of people will not have a kid who is valedictorian at Millburn, and for those people, wherever they send their kid to school, a good work ethic can get them into an Ivy League school, such as a Columbia, UPenn, or Hopkins. Whether that kid attends Morris Hills, Piscataway High school, even Union, it is possible.

Now, there is a difference between the poorer schools, such as the Camdens and etc. I am not talking about that. But generally, any school system in a nice, suburban safe town will do. Anything above that will generally not make any difference in what your child accomplishes in life. The cream will rise to the top. This has been my observation and experience.
Actually, I think you're missing the difference. If you finish top of the class at any school, you're going to have lots of choices of college. But, if you finish in the top 50% at millburn, you'll probably have more choices than if you were in the top 50% of Piscatway (using your examples - i really don't know the difference between these two schools).

When we all finish college and go out into a professional setting, we're all meeting the people who succeeded, regardless of whether they went to the best district or the worst. So, naturally, you think..."oh, coworker John Doe went to the worst high school in NJ and is making the same salary as me, so it was a waste to spend extra to live in the better district". Well....what about all of John Doe's classmates vs all of your classmates?

But, your second point, i do believe that hard workers/independent learners can easily overcome 'bad' school districts and succeed. But, folks like my little sister or my best friend, who needed poking and prodding from teachers to get through and wind up successful, would slip through the cracks at the worse districts.

Problem is....when my kids are preschool age and I'm buying a home, how do i know what type of kids I have? And if the money you're spending is mostly just increased property values - you're also going to end up with a higher net worth, so it's sort of a wash, no? Now, if i'm picking between Westchester, NY and a $40,000 property tax bill vs Ridgewood, NJ and a $15,000 property tax bill....then it's a cost/benefit analysis. (i just picked an area i know has crazy tax rates because of some college friends - not sure if the two city comparison is valid, but you get the point).

Old 01-21-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
wasn't cheesecake factory Tysons? that one friend used to go with a group of girls to the cheesecake factory now and then. I had no clue what it was, I thought it was actually some kind of cheesecake factory that they were going to. which school did you go to?

I haven't been to tre colore but it meets the convenience requirement, so ill check it out next time we are thinking "local chicken francese" place. ill try to bbq, the wife can stick with the Italian. that's in that shopping center with the empty former pathmark? that place is sad.

what is CC? ive been looking for a local steak place but there doesn't seem to be one. im good for either a fancy one or a "big greasy" Delmonico type steak place. im not really interested in something that's trendy. how old is your kid? my 5 year old can go anywhere but the 7 month old isn't there yet.
Firebirds in the Monmouth Mall is supposed to have good steaks. I only had lunch there and it was a burger, which was good. Little pricier than the chains. Actually I think it is a chain but the only one in NJ. They call it "Colorado Ski Lodge" atmosphere.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:46 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
A major importance would be how you are raised and the way things function at home. School is very overrated but it is important. I grew up going to school down south in TX , I never finished 8th grade but i have had a few different jobs, picked up on web design, construction, general labor work, learned about computers, sales jobs, and have successfully owned and operated 2 pizzerias in NJ.

I picked up a lot of street smarts and dedicated time into educating myself online and reading a lot. I may not have all the degrees on paper but i have been able to make a great living with a salary over 100k.
that worked for you, but do you really think any reasonable number of people that never finished 8th grade have anything close to the same results as you?

5 days a week, 8 hours a day, for nearly 10 months a year, from age 5 through 18. "overrated"? Maybe by some people who think it makes a difference to be in the #1 district vs the #20 district.

but quality schools are not anything close to overrated.

Old 01-21-2015, 05:45 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,449,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that worked for you, but do you really think any reasonable number of people that never finished 8th grade have anything close to the same results as you?

5 days a week, 8 hours a day, for nearly 10 months a year, from age 5 through 18. "overrated"? Maybe by some people who think it makes a difference to be in the #1 district vs the #20 district.

but quality schools are not anything close to overrated.

agreed- anecdotal evidence supports some people being able to rise above a poor school....however buying into a good district gives you the best odds......there's no need to take it to the extreme and say Millburn, Westfield, Chatham or bust....but buying into a top 75 or so district gives your child a head start- and puts him or her with peers who you feel increase the odds of success......

Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,449,690 times
Quote:
wasn't cheesecake factory Tysons? that one friend used to go with a group of girls to the cheesecake factory now and then. I had no clue what it was, I thought it was actually some kind of cheesecake factory that they were going to. which school did you go to?

I haven't been to tre colore but it meets the convenience requirement, so ill check it out next time we are thinking "local chicken francese" place. ill try to bbq, the wife can stick with the Italian. that's in that shopping center with the empty former pathmark? that place is sad.

what is CC? ive been looking for a local steak place but there doesn't seem to be one. im good for either a fancy one or a "big greasy" Delmonico type steak place. im not really interested in something that's trendy. how old is your kid? my 5 year old can go anywhere but the 7 month old isn't there yet.
CC = Copper Canyon- i've heard excellent things about the steak...

Char while much maligned has been known to have a sometimes special of a tomahawk steak for two that is apparently top notch, but the rest of the meat is average at best....

Apparently Shipwreck Point and Shipwreck Grill have the best steaks in the area- one's in Point Pleasant and one in Brielle...

I went to UMD for a cpl years what about you?....go Terps!!! - i could have sworn the Cheesecake was in Pentagon City- but maybe I'm confusing it with the one in Bethesda.....I wasn't sober much back then to be honest....

Tre Colore is across from that sad center- next to Jersey Mikes....I'm interested if you go- have heard very good things....btw- if you're in the area right near there in the same plaza as Bottle King is J & M bakery- my favorite in the area...

Old 01-21-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've passed that place but never ate there. I'll have to try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Firebirds in the Monmouth Mall is supposed to have good steaks. I only had lunch there and it was a burger, which was good. Little pricier than the chains. Actually I think it is a chain but the only one in NJ. They call it "Colorado Ski Lodge" atmosphere.
texas roadhouse has been super busy since it opened a few months ago. i enjoyed my steak, my wife thought hers was undercooked, but i like my steak pretty rare.

ive seen firebirds but never thought to go there. we go to Monmouth mall pretty frequently since its the easiest mall to get to from Holmdel. ive actually grown to like ruby Tuesdays, love filling up on salad bar. but next time ill try firebirds.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
agreed- anecdotal evidence supports some people being able to rise above a poor school....however buying into a good district gives you the best odds......there's no need to take it to the extreme and say Millburn, Westfield, Chatham or bust....but buying into a top 75 or so district gives your child a head start- and puts him or her with peers who you feel increase the odds of success......
exactly, its all about the odds. there are no guarantees but why not make the best choices when you do have the opportunity to make them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey