Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 11,284 times

Advertisements

I would welcome any input on the best private schools in New Jersey that are close to Manhattan. In particular, any thoughts on the relative merits of The Stevens Cooperative School, Pringry, Dwight Engelwood or Elizabeth Morrow? (And while public schools are a great option, I'm focused on the private schools for purposes of this query). Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 01:07 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,272 times
The best is debatable and highly subjective but Pingry, Lawrenceville, Princeton Day, Gill St. Bernards, Newark Academy, Dwight Englewood, and Montclair Kimberly Academy are all highly regarded. The only thing I know about them are their marketing departments.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:18 PM

Thanks tdstyles. That is useful information. Lawrenceville and Princeton Day are too far away from NYC for our purposes, so having looked into these I think its between Pingry, Dwight Engelwood, and Stevens for us. Any input from anyone that knows of these schools would be welcome. Might consider applying to Montclair Kimberly as well.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,260 times
my info on Dwight-Englewood is 6 years out of date, but would be surprised if it has changed significantly. Excellent school with a great image, nice campus, and excellent faculty. However, pricey

Old 01-21-2015, 04:07 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times
Pingry , Delbarton ,Newark Academy , Morristown Baird ,Seton Hall , Kent Place , Oak Knoll , are some of the best but many of the public schools are just as good, such as Millburn .

Old 01-22-2015, 04:18 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Is this for commuting purposes? Indeed look at the ones in Hoboken, Summit, Montclair or Morristown. Most are very expensive though and are close to NYC prices.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:16 AM

Forest_hills_Daddy it is for commuting to manhattan for work. Prices are indeed all pretty similar so I'm really just trying to get a sense of the relative merits.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM

565 posts, read 722,318 times
I worked an after school program for a short while at Stevens Coop--I sometimes worked at the JC location and a few times over at one of the Hoboken locations. I thought Stevens was a great little school--but you should be aware it's a progressive school and read up about that type of school philosophy and see if it fits your child. It's Pre-k-8 only, but many of the 8th graders then went on the McNair if they lived in JC or to another private if they lived in Hoboken. One little girl I had went on to one of the most prestigious HS in Manhattan, but I'm not sure how common that is.

There are no grades in the traditional sense--teachers instead write detailed reports on a regular basis that detail what your child has learned, what they need to work on--general strengths and weaknesses.

Each class has a head teacher and an assistant teacher (or rather, most classes). Both the head and assistant teachers are degreed professionals, but most of the head teachers (maybe all? can't remember) have master's degrees in progressive education whereas many of the assistant teachers are still working on it.

Class sizes are small. Kids are encouraged to create and self-direct their learning--can't say this was always, 100% effective, but it does work for many kids.

Students adress all adults by their first name (teachers, coaches, headmaster). Again, you have to be into progressive education to like this school.

I feel like tuition for Stevens is very reasonable--much cheaper than most privates in Manhattan--cheaper than my daughter's daycare tuition even. I want to say it's around $14-15,000/year for full time (this was several years back, probably have changed). ETA: Looks like it's 19,000 now.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:04 PM

Annikan that is great insight! Thank you so much. Any thoughts on the relative merits of doing that kind of school versus a true K-12 likes the others on the list?

Old 01-23-2015, 04:41 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyzer1 View Post
Forest_hills_Daddy it is for commuting to manhattan for work. Prices are indeed all pretty similar so I'm really just trying to get a sense of the relative merits.
If price is a concern, there's a French academy that's expanding in different NJ locations like New Milford and JC:

The French American Academy

They are relatively new and still have to prove themselves.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with Oak Knoll, Kent, Kimberly etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey