Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 AM

104 posts, read 233,238 times

Advertisements

As I now consider a porch and an attached garage, I have to ask how is cost per square foot calculated?

Do I just take the cost of the addition only, and divide it by the total square feet?

Do I take the cost of the addition plus the cost of the garage plus the cost of the porch and divide it by the new total square feet?

Isn't garage or porch square feet less expensive?

What about if I want to improve some of the existing structure by adding new floors and new siding to match the addition? Since the existing structure costs have nothing to do with the addition, how can that cost be part of the addition cost?

Bottom line is if I decide to do it all, do I still simply divide the total cost by the total sq ft of area touched?

Key1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:38 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Why did you hire an architect if you're not going to use their services asking them these questions specific to your town code?

Old 02-03-2015, 12:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Things like this need to be addressed before you get started. The calcs and foundation analysis should come from a registered PE. That is the only way you can protect yourself from liability. I'd have a structural engineer personally check out the foundation as well. Its one thing to say, yes under ideal conditions, the foundation could support the new structure, only to find out its cracked or bowing etc and can't actually support the new structure.

Your contract needs to be IRON CLAD putting all of the risk on the contractor.
does it make sense to hire somebody who works independently to manage everything? i thinks someone came here in the past and said you should get a construction manager to oversee all this. that would probably work for me to reduce the headache and potential problems of running the show myself (im considering building a home).

Old 02-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Why did you hire an architect if you're not going to use their services asking them these questions specific to your town code?
Not sure what you are asking.....I mentioned earlier that the Architect is associated with the construction company and if they win the bid I will be using their services...
If they don't win the bid, the architects drawings are still valid and I am already using his services.

Key1

Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,664,217 times
Personally I'd tear down the whole thing dig a real foundation(designed specifically for the load you are putting on top of it) with full basement and go from there. In for a penny, in for a pound.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key1cc View Post
Not sure what you are asking.....I mentioned earlier that the Architect is associated with the construction company and if they win the bid I will be using their services...
If they don't win the bid, the architects drawings are still valid and I am already using his services.

Key1
My point is that the architect is the person you should be asking these question to about how they determined their square footage and how it fits under the code that is specific to your town. For example, I can create a 100 SF shed in my backyard and not have to tell anyone about it and it counts against nothing. But the minute I call it a garage it counts and I need to comply with the building code. But that's in my town.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:31 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,011,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
does it make sense to hire somebody who works independently to manage everything? i thinks someone came here in the past and said you should get a construction manager to oversee all this. that would probably work for me to reduce the headache and potential problems of running the show myself (im considering building a home).
For something as large as a home addition, I would spend the money on a GC to manage every thing.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key1cc View Post

Key1
Which is why you need to be asking the architect all of these questions. He or she does this for a living and knows the cost per square foot.

Something I learned with my construction? Take your final & approved plans to a place like Staples to get copies to give to contractors for bids. It's cheaper (it was cheaper for us) than going through your architect.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:33 PM

Default Here comes the Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I work in construction management (commercial). This contractor could also be bidding low becuase of the previous relationship (and trust) from doing the drawings. They win the work and then BOOM, the change orders and extra work tickets start hitting.
Well,

Things have drastically changed in the last few days. When my architect showed my wife and I what was possible we were like kids in a candy store...totally out of control. Our current leading design candidate expands what we thought was a straight forward addition to include a 600 sq foot attached garage, and a covered front porch, and new wood floors everywhere in old and new area, new siding on old and new area, and a finishable attic, large kitchen island, wood cabinets, nice finishings throughout.

We expect to live here at least another 10 years if not longer.

I have no idea how to estimate and share with you the initial total cost per square foot of the addition since now a garage, a porch, and the existing structure are all part of the remodel.

Key1

Old 02-06-2015, 03:20 PM

As they saying goes, "it's only money."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey