Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:58 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times

Advertisements

Now I'm thinking if that happened to me I would ask to have them prove the signs ever existed since its now an open ramp, then I would give them the opportunity to turn it into an obstructing traffic ticket so they still take some of your money but no points. And I don't mean the unsafe driving deal either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 7,103 times
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have requested for a visit to the court and plead not guilty. Any suggestions... I am planning to voice out the below points..

1) I am new to US and rarely visit this location
2) I totally depend on GPS to move around
3) The GPS showed this route and I missed the sign board
4) Request to waive off the charges

What are the odds? Also, can someone tell me how much would these courses to clear the points cost

Old 02-03-2015, 11:05 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
The old "GPS told me to do it" defense is basically admitting in court that you were not observing posted signs, which is kind of one of the things you should be doing. I doubt they'll just waive everything for this excuse.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:55 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsslion View Post
Thank you all for your suggestions. I have requested for a visit to the court and plead not guilty. Any suggestions... I am planning to voice out the below points..

1) I am new to US and rarely visit this location
2) I totally depend on GPS to move around
3) The GPS showed this route and I missed the sign board
4) Request to waive off the charges

What are the odds? Also, can someone tell me how much would these courses to clear the points cost
likely reaction
1 - so?
2 - bad idea. Signs trump GPS
3 - You are the driver, not the GPS
4 - Yes, respectfully do this without excuses of being new or the GPS told you to do it.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:27 PM

Agree with above. If you try to blame anything on GPS the local town prosecutor and judge will just laugh or get more pissed off or just be silent and think how they can ********* you over more .

Each state has different customs for dealing with traffic matters and even each town has its local quirks driven by the personality of whomever is the prosecutor and judge.

In NJ usually all people pleading not guilty get called in one by one before the court into some side room where the prosecutor reviews your situation and offers you some deal. This is where I might ask for them to change it to obstructing traffic, which by the way they hardly ever do because its like a $75 fine or so and no points or record as far as I have ever seen.
What they offer you 99.99% of the time is to change it to unsafe driving zero points but that is a bigger money maker for the State, maybe about $485 after all the fees and fines. With the unsafe driving pleading you can only use it something like once every 5 years or so but you'd have to lookup the details of that, and it still shows on your driving record just zero points so insurance can still bug you for it.

The only times I had gotten a ticket switched to the obstructing traffic and walked out basically scot-free just about $75 poorer, one time I knew the prosecutor locally on a first name basis since i lived in the town and the other time I was working late, walked into court late, they where just doing the last case, I went over to the prosecutor and we huddled in the back room, he said he didn't think the judge would go for obstructing traffic but he would try it since they all wanted to go home,,the judge said ok and that was that. Kind of different luck both times.

Your other option is to ask for a trial and make them prove the sign was there. Since I don't think its there any more you could take a picture of "no sign". If you bring that in with you the prosecutor might then go for the obstructing since you might win if you fight it. Usually if you fight it you might have to come back a different day and they have to call the cop in so often they offer you the unsafe to save themselves the trouble and costs.

None of your 4 points you listed will get you any sympathy and would probably just get those people more infuriated and one last thing,,,don't always trust GPS. Sometimes my GPS tells me things like to go back a few miles go around some block and come back to where I am, LOL,,,just use your brains first, GPS second.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsslion View Post
Also, can someone tell me how much would these courses to clear the points cost
I never took one in NJ but there is a list here and I see some prices like $20 / $30?

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/Defensive.htm

Old 02-04-2015, 11:02 AM

3 posts, read 7,103 times
The sign board is still there. I saw it yesterday too.

I guess, then I will pay the fine and take some courses to get those waived. The course is for 6 hours and costs $70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: