Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 06:20 PM

81 posts, read 195,739 times

Advertisements

So everyone knows, you can use UPS Ground to send important papers. For a trip beginning and ending in NJ and/or PA, though not guaranteed, this is one day service 99% of the time. No need to use 2nd day or next day. Mailing one of the typical 9 x 12 stiff envelopes costs about $8 to $9. USPS Certified Mail with Return Receipt would cost about the same or maybe more - but it would not be there in one day and the USPS service stinks real bad. Note - you have to have your own envelope. You can't ship UPS Ground using the 2nd day or next day envelopes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
The Post Office was sabotaged by Republicans through the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act in 2006. This requires the post office to pre-fund benefits for the next 75 years. No other agency in the country has this obligation.

USPS was deliberately put in the red (most likely by UPS / FedEx lobbyists) to make it more difficult for them to "compete." In reality, UPS / FedEx can never compete with USPS, because USPS is a non-profit agency.

Last edited by Opin_Yunated; 02-12-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 12:26 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Would have been cheaper to Fed Ex overnight it and know it was delivered being you ended up paying a 40.00 surcharge or even UPS 2nd day delivery
I wish, the Cobra company used a PO Box, there's no way to mail to a PO Box other than using the Postal Service. I was forced to use the postal service. I send the other payments via 2 day priority mail and fortunately they didn't screw up any more of my payment letters until October 2014. I am now covered by an employers health plan again.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I'll second that, I mailed a letter certified to Pittsburgh with tracking to pay my COBRA payment, I mailed it week before it was due. Online tracking said the letter was at the Pittsburgh sorting depot, then to another sorting depot in another city, than back to Pittsburgh, it bounce several times before the letter was delivered. Fortunately I was able to call COBRA and pay with a credit card so payment wouldn't be late (for a $40 surcharge). I applied the payment toward next month when the letter finally arrived two week after mailing it. It should have been delivered in 3 days tops, ended up taking almost two weeks.
That's rare. I don't have any issues with USPS mail. I shipped a package (car part, 5-7 lbs or so) to someone and they received it in just two days.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:25 PM

585 posts, read 492,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The Post Office was sabotaged by Republicans through the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act in 2006. This requires the post office to pre-fund benefits for the next 75 years. No other agency in the country has this obligation.

USPS was deliberately put in the red (most likely by UPS / FedEx lobbyists) to make it more difficult for them to "compete." In reality, UPS / FedEx can never compete with USPS, because USPS is a non-profit agency.
Why exactly does a government set up monopoly to deliver mail need to compete in the private sector delivering packages?

Then the USPS should drop all of it's benefits such as not having to pay property taxes, not having vehicles get ticketed, etc...

and then let private companies deliver mail if they choose to...

Old 02-12-2015, 04:59 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,848,734 times
Maybe the impending takeover of the Internet will mean the government will take over email?

...give it a little time

Old 02-13-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Why exactly does a government set up monopoly to deliver mail need to compete in the private sector delivering packages?

Then the USPS should drop all of it's benefits such as not having to pay property taxes, not having vehicles get ticketed, etc...

and then let private companies deliver mail if they choose to...
1) Because it is in the constitution
2) Because non-profits are less expensive than private companies (private companies can't compete with USPS, period).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Maybe the impending takeover of the Internet will mean the government will take over email?

...give it a little time
Which Fox News show have you been watching?

Old 02-13-2015, 11:53 AM

585 posts, read 492,413 times
1) Because it is in the constitution
To Deliver MAIL not packages. Show me where it says PACKAGES.
2) Because non-profits are less expensive than private companies (private companies can't compete with USPS, period).
Private companies are not allowed to compete, because they can't send mail. If they could they would cherry pick the USPS right out of business. USPS enjoys many benefits, if they want to compete in the private sector delivering packages, then they shouldn't have those benefits, plain and simple.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
To Deliver MAIL not packages. Show me where it says PACKAGES.
Why are you getting angry? USPS delivers packages cheaper than UPS / FedEx.

Quote:
Private companies are not allowed to compete, because they can't send mail. If they could they would cherry pick the USPS right out of business. USPS enjoys many benefits, if they want to compete in the private sector delivering packages, then they shouldn't have those benefits, plain and simple.
That's irrational. Private company vs. non-profit always has the non-profit being cheaper. Non-profit will always be cheaper than for-profit; it's just math. Hopefully health care gets to that level.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 12,062 times
mail carriers by me wont even show up for a day or two
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey