Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times

Advertisements

I googled and could not find any.

It seems most clinics in Nj do not want to prescribe it.

I could travel into Nyc or Philadelphia.
I could also try phentermine or Belviq too.

Thanks.

If anyone anyone is going to suggest diet and exercise,please,save your writing for another time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:09 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Sorry I do one weight loss post each year as a public service. Here is the entry for 2015:

Diet and exercise are the only way too look good. Only. Way. Looking for additives and snake oil from weight loss "clinics" is a road to failure, despair, and continued rotundity.

I would implore you to use Reason, not Emotion and Mysticism, in solving this problem. Why? Reason is the only methodology that works with Reality. They go together like hand in glove. Weight loss is a logical problem, to be solved with rational tools. And the rational approach is to stop eating and start moving over a long period of time, with sustained focus and execution of self-imposed guidelines. It's so simple, yet mysticism and emotionalism paralyze the vast majority into failure-prone behaviors that are disconnected from Reality.

Forget clinics. Forget websites. Forget books and tapes. Forget prescriptions, additives, herbs, and other easy fixes that fix nothing except the bank accounts of the charlatans who depend on your dependency and irrationality.

Stop eating. Start moving. Add time and patience. Mix these ingredients, and the weight will go away, you will look good again, and the goal will be accomplished, and you will not need to give money away to the hucksters and the hustlers.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Sorry I do one weight loss post each year as a public service. Here is the entry for 2015:

Diet and exercise are the only way too look good. Only. Way. Looking for additives and snake oil from weight loss "clinics" is a road to failure, despair, and continued rotundity.

I would implore you to use Reason, not Emotion and Mysticism, in solving this problem. Why? Reason is the only methodology that works with Reality. They go together like hand in glove. Weight loss is a logical problem, to be solved with rational tools. And the rational approach is to stop eating and start moving over a long period of time, with sustained focus and execution of self-imposed guidelines. It's so simple, yet mysticism and emotionalism paralyze the vast majority into failure-prone behaviors that are disconnected from Reality.

Forget clinics. Forget websites. Forget books and tapes. Forget prescriptions, additives, herbs, and other easy fixes that fix nothing except the bank accounts of the charlatans who depend on your dependency and irrationality.

Stop eating. Start moving. Add time and patience. Mix these ingredients, and the weight will go away, you will look good again, and the goal will be accomplished, and you will not need to give money away to the hucksters and the hustlers.
SO in other words.........what was the point of responding?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,036,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I said it: as a public service. 95% of Americans pursuing weight loss do it irrationally, and fail. I am advocating utilizing Reason to solve the problem, because it requires only rudimentary personal discipline and a thinking approach to what is a simple numerical problem. Too many calories going in, and not enough activity pulling them out.

Every time I'm assaulted by the latest weight-loss pitches on TV, radio, and Internet, I shudder in abject pain. Listening to the the same dopey drones promising miracles, decade after decade, appealing to mysticism and irrationality. And apparently never failing to suck in enough silly suckers to generate a profit.

"Attention! This is a public announcement. If you want to be part of a fantastic risk-free trial that guarantees that you will lose 30, 40, 100 pounds or more, write down this toll-free number. Fat-B-Gone allows you to take 2 simple capsules each day and the weight will fall off without painful dieting or endless hours in the gym. BUT! You must act now. Before this risk-free trial is gone forever.

Warning! If you experience too much weight loss, please reduce the dosage from two capsules to one capsule!!!

Call now for the risk-free trial, but only if you are serious about losing 30 pounds or more!"

It is unfathomable in this age of information and education that anyone falls for this insanity. Yet the ads never end, so they must be working. It's a disgrace.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:41 AM

64 posts, read 90,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I said it: as a public service. 95% of Americans pursuing weight loss do it irrationally, and fail. I am advocating utilizing Reason to solve the problem, because it requires only rudimentary personal discipline and a thinking approach to what is a simple numerical problem. Too many calories going in, and not enough activity pulling them out.

Every time I'm assaulted by the latest weight-loss pitches on TV, radio, and Internet, I shudder in abject pain. Listening to the the same dopey drones promising miracles, decade after decade, appealing to mysticism and irrationality. And apparently never failing to suck in enough silly suckers to generate a profit.

"Attention! This is a public announcement. If you want to be part of a fantastic risk-free trial that guarantees that you will lose 30, 40, 100 pounds or more, write down this toll-free number. Fat-B-Gone allows you to take 2 simple capsules each day and the weight will fall off without painful dieting or endless hours in the gym. BUT! You must act now. Before this risk-free trial is gone forever.

Warning! If you experience too much weight loss, please reduce the dosage from two capsules to one capsule!!!

Call now for the risk-free trial, but only if you are serious about losing 30 pounds or more!"

It is unfathomable in this age of information and education that anyone falls for this insanity. Yet the ads never end, so they must be working. It's a disgrace.

You are wasting your time. The OP is looking for a "miracle" cure instead of putting the fork down and will
do or pay ANYTHING so she/he does NOT have to diet and exercise. Very, very sad.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:21 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Quote:
Saving a life. A thankless efort that a fellow human must make.

As the science is never settled until drug approval and post marketing collection of adverse events rivals the confidence of statistics for a safe an effective drug or off label use, it is best not to take any such substance into your body. Any substance not gone through the FDA approval process would have the same warning except in large red capital letters.

Stay tuned for the TV ad from 1-800- lawyers.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:45 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Stay tuned for the TV ad from 1-800- lawyers.
No, they're only interested if they can make money. Those radio ads are from fly-by-night companies with no assets and which will be long since dissolved/disappeared by the time the health consequences of what they're peddling becomes apparent. Even if you could find them to sue, you'd get very little out of them.

That's why the TV ads are all for mesothelioma and big pharma-related issues...the responsible or supposedly responsible parties have assets and can't pull a disappearing act like that.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
. Any substance not gone through the FDA approval process would have the same warning except in large red capital letters.
This drug IS FDA approved.
So is Belviq,Orlistat,and Adipex.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie8862 View Post
You are wasting your time. The OP is looking for a "miracle" cure instead of putting the fork down and will
do or pay ANYTHING so she/he does NOT have to diet and exercise. Very, very sad.

I am not looking for a miracle cure,otherwise i would just use cocaine.

I already reduced my caloric intake and still nothing.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,297 times
Most of these diet pills you mention, including Qsymia, are (1) meant to be taken alongside a regimen of regular exercise and a reduced calorie diet, (2) indicated specifically for people with a certain BMI.

Do you get get regular exercise? You don't have to be a cray cray cross fit nut or start running marathons, but do you at least do 30 minutes of cardio a few days a week? Do you plan to?

Qsymia is approved for people with a BMI of 30 or higher, or, for people with a BMI of 27 or higher PLUS at least one other obesity related condition like high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

A BMI of 30 is, for example, a (non athlete) woman who is 5'4" and 175 pounds.

Do you meet this criteria? Or are you someone who wants to lose 10 pounds of vanity weight? Are you 5'4" and 135 pounds, wanting to fit into a size 0 for a high school reunion? (And trying to be a size 0 is NEVER a healthy goal, by the way.)

You say you have already reduced your caloric intake, but be honest with yourself. Most people are not honest when it comes to counting calories and watching portion sizes. A tablespoon means a measured tablespoon (not a heaping spoonful using a random spoon from your kitchen drawer). Four ounces means four ounces...do you have a food scale? Also, four ounces of plain, poached chicken breast is different than a portion of prepared chicken out of a box or from a restaurant, that you eye ball as being a serving size, that is also battered or drowned in some kind of sauce.

Do you even know what your specific daily caloric needs are, based on your gender, height, age and activity level? Do you know what your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is, or what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is? Before Googling "NJ clinics Qsymia", you should be Googling "TDEE calculator".

To put this in perspective:

For a 5'4", 30 year-old, couch potato female who has a desk job and does zero exercise, it takes about 1600 calories per day to maintain a weight of 135 pounds. If this 5'4", 30 year-old, zero-exerciser, couch potato female with a desk job wants to be less than 135 pounds, she has to consume less than 1600 calories a day, and/or, do more than zero exercise.

Also, exercise does not magically burn a bajillion gazillion calories and give you free reign to go Godzilla at the buffet.

To put this in perspective:

Running an entire marathon burns (very generally) about 2,600 calories. If you eat ONE lunch special, a side dish and a large soda at the Cheesecake Factory, you could easily have consumed that many calories...for one meal. Do you plan on running 26 miles everyDAY for exercise? Do you even plan on jogging 26 miles a WEEK?

Quote:
I googled and could not find any.

It seems most clinics in Nj do not want to prescribe it.

I could travel into Nyc or Philadelphia.
I could also try phentermine or Belviq too.
What does your actual doctor have to say about Qsymia? Your doctor is the one with your medical history. A random clinic does not.

If it is true that most clinics in NJ do not want to prescribe Qsymia, that's probably one of the reasons why. And any clinic that is going to give you a 'scrip all willy nilly does NOT have your health or best interests in mind. And if you want to go to some shady clinic that doles out 'scrips all willy nilly, then YOU don't have YOUR health and best interests in mind.

Qsymia, by the way, is a cocktail of phentermine and a 2nd drug topiramate.

Phentermine (like the cocaine you mention) is a stimulant and appetite suppressant.

Topiramate is an antiepilepsy drug that is also sometimes prescribed for migraines, and for a host of psychiatric problems like PTSD and BPD, as well as for addiction issues (e.g. alcoholism and smoking cessation). Weight loss is a common adverse side effect of topiramate, and thus, another off-label use of this drug was born.

Quote:
This drug IS FDA approved.
So is Belviq,Orlistat,and Adipex.
Qsymia failed FDA approval initially.

It is approved now, but it is still undergoing a bunch of FDA-required, post-approval safety testing (the results of which are yet to be seen).

Not to mention, I am assuming you are a sexually active adult female who is capable of getting pregnant. Even the drug maker itself (Vivus) recommends that women take a monthly pregnancy test while on Qsymia because of the risk of birth defects. If you are actively trying to get pregnant now, or in the future, you don't want this drug in your system.

There are a bunch of other risks and adverse side effects that I won't get into because this post is already too long. And, obviously, considering that this drug has only been on the market for about 2 and half years, no one know whether there will be any long term health risks. Twenty years from now it could come to light that it may have played a part in your breast cancer or heart problems.

Does any of this sound particularly healthy to you?

Do you plan on taking (and paying for) Qsymia for the rest of your life to maintain a certain weight?

What happens when you stop taking Qsymia (or Belviq or Orlistat or Adipex)? Gain the weight back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey