Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,438 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are moving to New Jersey from India very soon. My husband's office will be in Manhattan. We have a 3.5 yr old daughter. We are looking at places in NJ that are within 1 hr commute time, with easy access to Indian stores and diversity. One big problem is that I can't drive. Any suggestions for cities that fit the bill will be great :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,616 times
Read the sticky for "future questions for..." and then start a new thread or update the original post. You provided no basic information like how much for budget, how many rooms, etc.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:47 AM

380 posts, read 607,214 times
Without knowing much about your budget, I'd say Jersey City.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:59 AM
VJG

2 posts, read 1,911 times
There are couple of apartment buildings in Jersey city, depending on your requirement. close to Manhatten, there are lot of Indians around here

Old 02-18-2015, 12:16 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,185,346 times
Some of the most convenient neighborhoods for Indians moving to New Jersey (to US for the first time) are Jersey City and Edison/Iselin. Of course there are tens of other towns that has much more of offer than these towns but JC & Edison have a large Indian demography, easy access to public transportation and proximity to ethnic grocery stores and supplies which makes them easy to adjust to US life in the first few months.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:41 PM

289 posts, read 607,953 times
> One big problem is that I can't drive.
Well, then you should try to fix this. Start with some driving lessons in India (it is cheaper there) and then continue with more lessons once you are here in the US. Life can be very hard in the US if you do not drive.

I would agree with other posters who have suggested an apartment in Jersey City. The commute to Manhattan will be anything from 30 to 45 minutes. You will be able to find grocery etc in Jersey City at a walking distance or by using local transportation (cabs, buses etc.).

Old 02-19-2015, 08:42 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally1211 View Post
Hi, We are moving to New Jersey from India very soon. My husband's office will be in Manhattan. We have a 3.5 yr old daughter. We are looking at places in NJ that are within 1 hr commute time, with easy access to Indian stores and diversity. One big problem is that I can't drive. Any suggestions for cities that fit the bill will be great :-)
What kind of diversity are you seeking?

Corporations typically have a person on contract who makes all the arrangements required of someone from away moving to NJ. Usually they are associated with a realator. Have you received any help from his company?

Is it a permanent move or just a temporary career move?

There are many online and paper Indian community news sources and forums that would be a good source of local news and information.

Good luck!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,438 times
Many thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We are thinking about Edison, hadn't considered Jersey City but will surely check it out. About the apartment, we are looking for 2 bed, 2 bath. Our budget is not yet decided coz we have no idea :-)
@4NJseasons: I have taken driving lessons here but haven't really driven around in traffic.
@Kracer: As of now we are coming there till Sep but in all probability the stay will get extended...

Old 02-20-2015, 09:33 PM

749 posts, read 920,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally1211 View Post
I am positive sure that EDISON, NJ., has the highest Indian population in NJ.........there are stores everywhere, and a train that takes you to NYC, plus buses.......

Old 02-28-2015, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,256 times
Edison makes more sense than Jersey City if you will sending your child to public school in 1.5 years. There are plenty of Indian stores on Oak Tree Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey