Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM

220 posts, read 379,467 times

Advertisements

Ridgewood has a lot of families due to the great school system, I'm sure having rugrats eats into the time you have to clean/maintain your home. Or maybe they feel the town speaks for itself and houses there don't warrant major cleaning in order to sell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM

168 posts, read 299,715 times
I checked online and saw that the average home in Ridgewood last year was $663,300. This means you are pretty much in the "hot price point" for Ridgewood's housing market. There will be good ones in your price point, but they most likely will move quickly. Just make sure your agent is keeping you informed of new listings.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:26 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
I always thought unkempt was in reference to a person, while unkept was in reference to a property. No?

Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I always thought unkempt was in reference to a person, while unkept was in reference to a property. No?
No

Old 02-19-2015, 08:24 AM

380 posts, read 607,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You're letting a few hundred dollars in cleaning and some new appliances stop a $700k purchase? I'd say you are being distracted by things that aren't important in the grand scheme of things. If it really bothers you that much buy a $550k house, gut it and spend $150k on renovations. You might be happier since everything will be new.
Agree. So long as the issues with the home are not structural or permanent in nature, who really cares how its kept? Use the unkempt condition and crappy applicances as a negotiation tactic to get the price down a bit.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:50 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
No
I used the same dictionary you cited for the word "unkempt" to look up the word "unkept", and this is what I found...

Quote:
Not tidy or cared for:
lawns unkept and ponds neglected
unkept - definition of unkept in English from the Oxford dictionary

Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,859 times
If you are that turned off by the Ridgewood housing stock, why do you keep going back?
enough to go on a web site and complain about it.

Look elsewhere, Ridgewood will be better for it.

There are plenty of other quality towns in Bergen county, or are they unkempt also,

Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Tidyness issues are irrelevant. Unless it's so bad the house has become infested with vermin or gotten a persistent odor. Dated furnishings don't matter, you won't be buying those. Dated appliances... you just figure the cost of replacing them in your budget. A mid-to-high-end but standard size stove, fridge, dishwasher, and laundry cost what, $7K or so? In a $700K budget this is not a dealbreaker, just a consideration.

Location, layout, and land are what can't be changed and come first. Next comes any major problems, by which I mean structural or foundation damage, water intrusion, anything really expensive to correct. Expected major renovations (e.g. if you'd want to gut the kitchen or finish a basement) cost a lot and come next; a roof or siding is in this category too. Appliances and surfaces are smaller things to figure in.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 PM

22 posts, read 49,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater1 View Post
If you are that turned off by the Ridgewood housing stock, why do you keep going back?
enough to go on a web site and complain about it.

Look elsewhere, Ridgewood will be better for it.
OMG, what does that mean, is it as mean as it sounds, or am I misinterpreting. Anyway, it is funny OP mentioned this because my husband and I always joke about a similar feeling we have gotten when looking in Rutherford. So many houses it just seems the owners don't even try to fix up the house but are asking top dollar, what it usually means is that that is what the market allows, very simple unfortunately. Will we ultimately buy one of these houses in Rutherford, who knows quite possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey