Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times

Advertisements

Have you considered going to a dietician and have them develop and show you how to implement a healthy diet? I'm not in your shoes, and I'm not saying this to judge, but watching the succesful lapband patients I work with, it seems to me that if they made the changes they made AFTER the surgery BEFORE the surgery they would have lost the weight too. Maybe not as quickly, but they would have lost it. Is it that the surgery will help you stick to the plan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,957,930 times
I have considered it, but its very expensive and my insurance will only cover 3 visits per year....they will cover lapband 100%....backwards right?

Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,927,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I have considered it, but its very expensive and my insurance will only cover 3 visits per year....they will cover lapband 100%....backwards right?
Absolutely. I work for our insurance co. and we'll pay for the sx but we don't cover dietary or nutritional counselling. Doesn't make sense to me either.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:03 PM

Yeah! Makes no sense! I would much rather have the help that way. I think you should fix that! LOL

Old 01-10-2008, 02:20 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,586,689 times
A friend of mine, had the lapband done, she is 5' 10" and weighted approx. 160 lbs, it didn't show, but she concerned herself fat, its been a few months and I don't see a big difference, insurance wouldn't cover it and she took out a loan. The doctor she went to said she was very obese for her height and weight.

Now another man who was close to 300 lbs had it done this past July, he's lost weight around 60 lbs and wants to lose another 100 lbs, its a very slow process, you can tell he's lost weight, I thought that one of them told me it cost around $8,000 or higher for the surgery.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird42 View Post
A friend of mine, had the lapband done, she is 5' 10" and weighted approx. 160 lbs, it didn't show, but she concerned herself fat, its been a few months and I don't see a big difference, insurance wouldn't cover it and she took out a loan. The doctor she went to said she was very obese for her height and weight.
Now another man who was close to 300 lbs had it done this past July, he's lost weight around 60 lbs and wants to lose another 100 lbs, its a very slow process, you can tell he's lost weight, I thought that one of them told me it cost around $8,000 or higher for the surgery.

Now THAT infuriates me. I'm sorry, but that doctor is a money grubbing, amoral a'hole who should have his/her license revoked. 5'10" and 160 is VERY OBESE? Depending on body type it may be a little overweight, not nowhere NEAR obese. That dr. should be ashamed of himself. I'm furious.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I agree with Tahiti. Its absurd that she had that surgery. I feel so bad for her to have felt so badly about herself. I hope your friend finds peace and happiness

Old 01-10-2008, 04:01 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
This is hard to believe as it would constitute malpractice. The current guidelines for bariatric surgery are people with a BMI (body mass index) of greater than 40....Or...greater than 35 with at least 1 co-morbid disease (hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, heart or lung problems, etc...). A 5'10", 160 lb person has a BMI of about 23. You can find surgeons that will stretch it to as low as 30, but 23 is clearly inappropriate.

BMI <18.5=underweight, 18.5-24.9=normal, 25-29.9=overweight, 30-34.9=obese, >35=morbidly obese.

To calculate your BMI, take your: weight in lbs TIMES 703 and divide by your height in inches squared. Example using the person above:

160lbsX703 / 70inX70in = 112480 / 4900 = 22.95

I have given anesthesia for many of these procedures and could recommend a few good surgeons in Essex County, but I don't know anyone down in your area.

For the OP, there are fewer complications with the lap bands than the bypass, and the lap band is easily reversible. Certain people clearly NEED the bypass, and those are usually the only people who get it these days. Everyone else gets the lap bands. You can have complications with either and it is important to know about them prior to committing to surgery. Also, a morbidly obese patient is an anesthesiologists nightmare. I would make sure the anesthesiologist does a lot of these cases as well.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-10-2008 at 04:25 PM..

Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,308 times
Ok, my 2 cents...and it may be a bit harsh.
About three years ago I was not feeling very well. I would get sick and have chest and stomach pains at the drop of a hat. I was also overweight. I did what we are all doing now, I started to read things on the internet. I read websites. I read articles from nutritionists. I read forums from people who workout. No one but myself was going to make me feel better. I had to go to get a nuclear stress test. I looked all around me in the office. There were men all around me in their 60's. They were all overweight. Some were breathing heavy. Some had problems walking. There I was, 40 years old and looking into the my possible mirror 20 years down the road. I was tested. No heart problems. I had really bad acid reflux.
I could have taken the easy way out and spent money on some diet food (nutrisystem or Jenny Craig). I could have looked into some type of surgery.
But listen, and listen good, the faster you take it off, the faster it will come back on. Losing 40 lbs in 6 weeks is not healthy. Losing 40 lbs in 40 weeks is healthy.
My first step was to change my lifestyle...not resort to a diet.
All red meats were eliminated.
I ate five small meals per day.
I drank enough water that I could have housed a huge aquarium in my body.
No soda, not even diet. No iced teas. No cream in my coffee. Oatmeal everyday. Grains and fiber everyday. One egg was fine, but if I made two I would take the yolk out of one. I cut out all junk food. Then I did it, the best move I ever made...I joined a gym. I never lifted. I was never on a treadmill, except for the stress test. I had no clue how to work the majority of the machines. I hired a trainer (much cheaper than surgery). He "broke my ass", as my mother used to say. It took eight months to lose 60 lbs...read, "EIGHT months". This was no quick fix. My BODY was getting better. I did not have surgery so that I could take care of a weight problem, I changed my lifestyle so that I could take care of myself. I became addicted to going to the gym. My body actually craved it.
Last year I had major sinus surgery and then I tore a muscle in my calf running off of a diving board. I did not go to the gym for months. Did I gain any weight back...yeah, just 10 lbs. Why? Because I had adapted to my changed lifestyle. Damn, that Wendy's burger with all of the gooey processed cheese on it looks good, but I will be better off if I buy the Orange Mandarin salad and ask for a fat free dressing. I have not had a McDonalds burger in almost three years...looks pretty disgusting to me now, as a matter of fact. Can you cheat a little? Sure, I have always had one fat day per week. It is a day where I still watch what I eat, but I go to hell with myself for one meal. I learned a little about foods as well. The one that I learned that I have shared with people it this...When you go to Dunkin Donuts and you want something with your coffee, get the donut! The donut has less fat and calories than the muffins and bagels there.
So, my 2 cents is this...
Get off of the chair and do something. The doctor/surgeon is a bad choice. You are taking care of one section of your body. You are not helping out your body on a gradual slow healing process that is more normal than a scalpel.
Oh, and one more thing...
I am going back to the gym next week for the first time in months. My goal is not only to knock off those 10 lbs that I gained, but to be able to lose a little bit more.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:20 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I am considering LapBand surgery. I'd love to hear about the process, experiences, and any recommendations you may have for Doctors. I would need to be able to see someone in Burlington or Mercer County (I live near Bordentown). I have heard good and bad things and I just need some help making the right decision. Any thing you can offer would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Well hello neighbor!

Does your insurance cover it being done in PA? Since you are so close, I would suggest going straight to the best there.

My friend had the gastric bypass, and let's just say she is lucky to be alive. Her insides weren't hooked up right, she was sick as a dog for a year. Some how she ended up in Philly with a wonderful doctor. If you want the info I can go back to my emails to get the surgeon name, or look him up to see if he does it.

Like any surgery, you have to be careful. Look at Kanye West's mom. They released the findings.. it was her heart. If pre-admission testing isn't done, something may be missed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey