Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 08:16 PM

125 posts, read 134,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I don't see what the attraction is to NC. I've been there many times and there is nothing particularly impressive about it. For the most part it's basically just suburban sprawl, and the weather is not much better than what we have in NJ.

I would move to south Florida. I want a place where I can enjoy the outdoors (beach/pool) year round. I love heat and humidity.
I agree. I also feel NC is pretty xenophobic and that's not a word I throw around liberally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 07:48 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha, they do love their jesus in some parts. I don't really like religion but Id imagine I could find other people like myself. that's what everyone does. so if the schools suck, what about private school? in the long run, its probably cheaper than a lifetime of high property taxes.
Getting back to you on this, I did have a friend of mine go to private school in SC. One of the best in the state, with class sizes of about 15:1.

He says there were about five smart kids in his class and the rest are as dumb as rocks and the teachers weren't any better than public school.

Old 03-01-2015, 05:55 AM

49 posts, read 214,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
I left NJ and now I'm in the Boston area. I think for most things life is better up here - definitely a better atmosphere to raise a family. NJ/NY area is better for singles. I do miss some things about NJ like proximity to NYC and the diverse culture.
Parsec - I feel it's more an intangible quality, but could you specify why you think Mass. is a "better atmosphere to raise a family"?

I've long been intrigued by that area.

Is it friendlier? Slower paced? What makes it a better choice in your view? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 PM

12 posts, read 18,208 times
If I could go anywhere, I suppose it would be the Atlanta area. I like having the choices that only a large metro area can offer. Since I'd definitely move where the winter is less harsh, and would want to stay in the eastern third of the country, Atlanta seems like it would fit the bill.

I have to laugh about all the comments about NC in this thread though. I lived there for about five years before coming back to NJ and it is wonderful. Granted, it is a much bigger state than NJ, and therefore much more variable than a small place like NJ. But there are good schools and bad schools. Open and friendly people, closed and unfriendly people. Very religious and loads not so religious. Some of the blanket statements here are as ignorant as the blanket negative statements people make about NJ.

Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelup View Post
I have to laugh about all the comments about NC in this thread though. I lived there for about five years before coming back to NJ and it is wonderful. Granted, it is a much bigger state than NJ, and therefore much more variable than a small place like NJ. But there are good schools and bad schools. Open and friendly people, closed and unfriendly people. Very religious and loads not so religious. Some of the blanket statements here are as ignorant as the blanket negative statements people make about NJ.
Sure, but about the schools there are actual official rankings by state and NJ is almost always very near and sometimes at the top of the 50 states. On a whole NJ has excellent schools, I guess more great schools than not/than NC since it ranks higher. Of course there are good and bad schools everywhere, but NJ ranks higher in number of good schools versus bad, however they figure that out. Test scores and whatever else.

Open and friendly, closed and unfriendly are definitely harder if not impossible to definitively say in any case, but religion is another thing that can be measured through surveys and other means and NJ is not one of the more religious states. It's a more religious Northeastern state especially compared to New England but has nothing on the South.

Also I wouldn't necessarily say NC is more varied or variable than NJ just because it's bigger. NJ has a very diverse population, more so than many other states including North Carolina, and is actually almost as large in population as NC (smaller by about 1 million) despite its much smaller geographic size.

Hate to "pick on" NC (though I'm really not...) I'm just using it as a point of comparison because you did and others have. But really, as far as figuring out how good a state's schools are overall or how religious a state is, these things are less subjective than other criteria like friendliness.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:28 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,348,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I guess if you left NJ with only the clothers on your back you would be considered well dressed when you arrived in Alabama.

HA!!!!! That's Hilarious!!!! Right now my house in Kennett Square, PA, is up for sale, and I have NO idea where I'm going. A dear cousin of mine, who had to move to Alabama for his job, told me they'd love to have me move close to them. I told him to get back to me when they desegregate their proms down there - LOL!!!

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I could be persuaded to move to Fairhope, AL. I'm not sure I'd want to go there with kids. It's not far from Mobile or the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey