Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 PM

223 posts, read 320,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Obviously you've never been to the Somerset hills. Their mansions are so extravagant they hide them from the general public by building them in the center of their 100-200 acre horse farms.
I have no idea about wealth in FL so how could I possible comment.
The only time I see zetsui commenting, it's to bash NJ. :roll eyes:

If I had to leave NJ, I'd move to CT or MA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
For retirement and golf fine. For schools not too great. The locals will tell you the schools are fine and most kids get into NC colleges. Not the hotbed of Rhodes scholars but if you like to play or watch basketball NC can be great.
how about private schools in/near nicer communities? I live in Holmdel and still plenty of people we know are sending their kids to private schools. so if you are going to send the kids to private schools, id imagine you may as well live in a place with low property taxes and worse public schools.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 AM

192 posts, read 247,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangenj View Post
The only time I see zetsui commenting, it's to bash NJ. :roll eyes:

If I had to leave NJ, I'd move to CT or MA.
Dude I have lived in multiple places. NJ NYC and the surrounding areas are no longer fathomable for someone who is middle class. How is that bashing? This state is ridiculous. We basically have a state that subsidizes developers/private individuals/corporations to move into your neighborhood and kick out all the middle class residents. There are many nice parts of NJ, but they are largely out of the population dense, middle class places of North Jersey ie Hudson county.

Take MD/North VA. Very young educated population, great transportation, WELL BUILT, with the government making sure to mantain parks/intersperse greenergy vs the concrete drugery of NJ, and just overall a great QOL with an affordable COL on the East Coast. Best public schools in the nation. Transportation to pretty much anywhere including NYC Philly within 2 hours on a train, Boston, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Virginia Beach etc etc. 4 to 6 lane highways.
How many poor people have the wealth, let alone the means of such ease in lifestyle and transportation in NJ or NY? 90 min commutes are the norm here on ****ty infastructure and 2 lane highways for commutes that can average a joggable pace (ie 8mph). Cement everywhere. No fresh produce/nutrition.

NJ NYCd is just becoming blocks of consolidated millionaires' apartment buildings who buy all the real estate at cheap, live in Palm Spring where they collect rent, and make the middle class pay for their parking/transportation etc through taxes. How is that fair? So many ethnics have left North Jersey as well, fewer Indians, ME'ers, Irish Italian. A bunch of old rich white/Jewish people, and poor Hispanics/blacks. NYC's population has stagnated well over a decade because of the insane ****t people here have to put up with, for a life of drudgery and muck, high unemployment, poor services. I miss living in SF/LA/MD, and only moved back to NJ to help my 80+ mother.

Even Chicago, a city I liked less than NJ/NYC, with huge ghettos, had a more liveable downtown and atmosphere than 80% of people have to put up with here in NJ NYC.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetsui View Post
Dude I have lived in multiple places. NJ NYC and the surrounding areas are no longer fathomable for someone who is middle class. How is that bashing? This state is ridiculous. We basically have a state that subsidizes developers/private individuals/corporations to move into your neighborhood and kick out all the middle class residents. There are many nice parts of NJ, but they are largely out of the population dense, middle class places of North Jersey ie Hudson county.

Take MD/North VA. Very young educated population, great transportation, WELL BUILT, with the government making sure to mantain parks/intersperse greenergy vs the concrete drugery of NJ, and just overall a great QOL with an affordable COL on the East Coast. Best public schools in the nation. Transportation to pretty much anywhere including NYC Philly within 2 hours on a train, Boston, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Virginia Beach etc etc. 4 to 6 lane highways.
How many poor people have the wealth, let alone the means of such ease in lifestyle and transportation in NJ or NY? 90 min commutes are the norm here on ****ty infastructure and 2 lane highways for commutes that can average a joggable pace (ie 8mph). Cement everywhere. No fresh produce/nutrition.

NJ NYCd is just becoming blocks of consolidated millionaires' apartment buildings who buy all the real estate at cheap, live in Palm Spring where they collect rent, and make the middle class pay for their parking/transportation etc through taxes. How is that fair? So many ethnics have left North Jersey as well, fewer Indians, ME'ers, Irish Italian. A bunch of old rich white/Jewish people, and poor Hispanics/blacks. NYC's population has stagnated well over a decade because of the insane ****t people here have to put up with, for a life of drudgery and muck, high unemployment, poor services. I miss living in SF/LA/MD, and only moved back to NJ to help my 80+ mother.

Even Chicago, a city I liked less than NJ/NYC, with huge ghettos, had a more liveable downtown and atmosphere than 80% of people have to put up with here in NJ NYC.
You seem to have only been in a few parts of NJ, aka The Garden State. No fresh produce?! We shop almost exclusively at farmer's markets for about 6-7 months a year. We can also get fresh local protein, and have access to wonderful fresh fish at local markets who buy from Fulton in NYC. Maryland is nice, don't get me wrong, but if you're a skier, it's not so nice to have a 7 hour drive to a halfway decent mountain. right now, 7 hours gets me to one of the best spots in the entire eastern half of the continent. 4 hours gets me to amazing skiing. and 2 hours gets me to decent skiing without crowds.

My town has plenty of greenscape, as do neighboring towns especially with the South Mountain Reservation here, among others.

NJ Turnpike is mostly 3-5 lanes depending on what section. GSP is 5 lanes. 280 is 3 lanes in the urban areas. Our public transportation infrastructure is amazing, though it's geared only to funneling people into NYC in the morning or home from NYC at night.

My entire town is mostly middle class families.

Fewer Indians living in NJ?! What period are you comparing it to? Have you been to Edison/Piscataway or Jersey City? Large filipino population in Jersey City. Brazilian population in Newark. It's very ethnically diverse. If anything, I would say the white/jewish population is shrinking.

You don't have much experience in NJ, or you're just being a troll. Not sure which.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Mass. Educated people and world class healthcare.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:11 AM

64 posts, read 159,866 times
We will be heading to the Indian Shores area of Florida once my gives the go-ahead. We spent the last 3 winters down there renting a condo. We absolutely love the place....plus my wife works from home so she could take her NJ salary down with her and not pay state income taxes. Unfortunately my daughter just started kindergarten this year so realistically I cannot see it happening until 2027. It better come quick!

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & K View Post
We will be heading to the Indian Shores area of Florida once my gives the go-ahead. We spent the last 3 winters down there renting a condo. We absolutely love the place....plus my wife works from home so she could take her NJ salary down with her and not pay state income taxes. Unfortunately my daughter just started kindergarten this year so realistically I cannot see it happening until 2027. It better come quick!
Why can't your daughter go to school down there?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,463,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Why can't your daughter go to school down there?
tahiti- There are vast swaths of Florida (and much of the South) that have schools that exude a façade of middle-class propriety, but are on a par with Newark, Trenton and Paterson schools. It's amazing at times, to me, that these types of areas which would appear to my New Jersey eyes as lower-middle class and middle class suburbs, are the Ghetto in all its glory ...with gangs and drugs. I used to think I knew what a bad neighborhood was, but I've had to change my thinking quite a bit!

The South is ...different!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 02-24-2015 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: gr

Old 02-24-2015, 02:08 PM

192 posts, read 247,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
You seem to have only been in a few parts of NJ, aka The Garden State. No fresh produce?! We shop almost exclusively at farmer's markets for about 6-7 months a year. We can also get fresh local protein, and have access to wonderful fresh fish at local markets who buy from Fulton in NYC. Maryland is nice, don't get me wrong, but if you're a skier, it's not so nice to have a 7 hour drive to a halfway decent mountain. right now, 7 hours gets me to one of the best spots in the entire eastern half of the continent. 4 hours gets me to amazing skiing. and 2 hours gets me to decent skiing without crowds.

My town has plenty of greenscape, as do neighboring towns especially with the South Mountain Reservation here, among others.

NJ Turnpike is mostly 3-5 lanes depending on what section. GSP is 5 lanes. 280 is 3 lanes in the urban areas. Our public transportation infrastructure is amazing, though it's geared only to funneling people into NYC in the morning or home from NYC at night.

My entire town is mostly middle class families.

Fewer Indians living in NJ?! What period are you comparing it to? Have you been to Edison/Piscataway or Jersey City? Large filipino population in Jersey City. Brazilian population in Newark. It's very ethnically diverse. If anything, I would say the white/jewish population is shrinking.

You don't have much experience in NJ, or you're just being a troll. Not sure which.
NJ turn pike has rarely in my epxerience gone over 4 lanes in N. Jersey , usually not 3, and definitely not 5. Most of the commuting corrodors 1-9, NJTP, I-95 are 3 or less. The NJTP around the Holland Tunnel is 2 lane, 1-9 around the holland, 2 lane, GSPW around Patterson going to mid town, usually 2 lane as they repair some part of it. Again you live outside the main population density places like Hudson county. Corner stores, horrible to no produce, getting fat, all of downtown JC is serviced by ONE shoprite (close to 200k people with largely one gocery store serving them)

INdians are still settling here, dont' get me wrong, but their numbers have stagnated as many H1B visa workers are unable to put up with the high cost of living here.

Lastly, the white population in NJ has gone up and to that exact demographic due to Asians bring great schools to HC.

Not trolling. Get real. MD too has the most millionaires and one of the best lifestyles because of government economy. Goes a lot further too. We pay more taxes than the DMV to poorer QOL than them? How do you explain that? 1mill means ****t in North Jersey. Could get you a flat in JC

Last edited by zetsui; 02-24-2015 at 03:05 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
tahiti- There are vast swaths of Florida (and much of the South) that have schools that exude a façade of middle-class propriety, but are on a par with Newark, Trenton and Paterson schools. It's amazing at times, to me, that these types of areas which would appear to my New Jersey eyes as lower-middle class and middle class suburbs, are the Ghetto in all its glory ...with gangs and drugs. I used to think I knew what a bad neighborhood was, but I've had to change my thinking quite a bit!

The South is ...different!
Hey Em! <waving> I have no first hand experience with schools other than in NJ but I hear on these boards that a lot of schools (most) are on par with NJ so I wonder.....I guess Indian Shores aren't up to snuff? IDK though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey