U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:13 PM

118 posts, read 581,149 times

Advertisements

I'll give you all the short version on my story. We are moving in March and I have looked into PA, DE & VA for the past 10 months and decided to stay in NJ until my husband retires in a few years. We all know about the taxes here in NJ but we have other perks. We live in Hillsborough, Somerset County now.

Where would you suggest that we look for homes in Southern NJ? Not near the coast (altho we love Lavallette and LBI, too high)Anywhere down there that we can get a house on a few acres, under 350,000. Redneck free and low crime. I just want a decent area, can be rural. I want to stay out of the city but be semi close to LIFE! How is Lacey Township and past there?
Rate this post positively

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM

828 posts, read 2,959,830 times
Lacey Township.
I have been down in Lacey for almost 11 years, and I really like it. It is not the real slamming shore traffic that some parts of Ocean and Monmouth Counties get.
It is still the coast, though, so I am not so sure that is what you want.
Virtually crime free. When I moved down here I used to say that the worst crimes are what the squirrels would do to the oak trees.
The taxes are cheaper than all of Ocean and Monmouth County, this because of the Power Plant. Before anyone starts to make you panic about the power plant, let me say this...it is nothing to worry about. If it was anything that was a detriment to the town then people would be dropping dead of cancer at an alarming rate. Ok, back to the town. We have the nicest parks in all of OCean County. Great areas to walk. Nice lakes. Good schools, although it seems that you will not have to worry about the schools. As for property, my current house is on an acre, but there are hardly any lots in this town that are that big, unless you decide to live in Bamber Lakes...and that is a little too far off of the beaten path. You could definitely find a nice house here in the 350k...pm me if you need a realtor (am I allowed to say that?).
We have had a Super Shop Rite here for years...really nice.
A Home Depot has just been built and opened this past October.
Many transplants from Northern Jersey, but no Northern Jersey Pizza, but there are a few nice places to dine.
Personally, I would not go any further South. The rednecks start to pop up. YOu get hit with LBI traffic during the Summer, but the houses are cheaper.
Route 9 does get some traffic during the Summer, but there are ways to get all over town without driving Rte 9...we just don't share it with everyone.
Any questions, just PM me.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:32 AM

118 posts, read 581,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Lacey Township.
I have been down in Lacey for almost 11 years, and I really like it. It is not the real slamming shore traffic that some parts of Ocean and Monmouth Counties get.
It is still the coast, though, so I am not so sure that is what you want.
Virtually crime free. When I moved down here I used to say that the worst crimes are what the squirrels would do to the oak trees.
The taxes are cheaper than all of Ocean and Monmouth County, this because of the Power Plant. Before anyone starts to make you panic about the power plant, let me say this...it is nothing to worry about. If it was anything that was a detriment to the town then people would be dropping dead of cancer at an alarming rate. Ok, back to the town. We have the nicest parks in all of OCean County. Great areas to walk. Nice lakes. Good schools, although it seems that you will not have to worry about the schools. As for property, my current house is on an acre, but there are hardly any lots in this town that are that big, unless you decide to live in Bamber Lakes...and that is a little too far off of the beaten path. You could definitely find a nice house here in the 350k...pm me if you need a realtor (am I allowed to say that?).
We have had a Super Shop Rite here for years...really nice.
A Home Depot has just been built and opened this past October.
Many transplants from Northern Jersey, but no Northern Jersey Pizza, but there are a few nice places to dine.
Personally, I would not go any further South. The rednecks start to pop up. YOu get hit with LBI traffic during the Summer, but the houses are cheaper.
Route 9 does get some traffic during the Summer, but there are ways to get all over town without driving Rte 9...we just don't share it with everyone.
Any questions, just PM me.
Thanks so much..My uncle lived in Lanoka Harbor..I want to go south of there and more inland. More acreage and off Rt. 9 traffic. I think my cousin had a friend in Bamber Lakes but I heard weird stories about that place. If you did go further south and inland, where wouldn't you go? Crime wise? and redneck free zones!

Last edited by Debaroo; 01-11-2008 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM

828 posts, read 2,959,830 times
Along with Lanoka Harbor and Forked River, Bamber is part of Lacey. Bamber's homes start about a few miles west of the GSP. No city water or sewerage. Very secluded.
I am not much of a fan of anything South of here.
Waretown is kind of old.
Barnegat has had its problems with crime.
Manahawkin is nice, but the Summer traffic there is awful.
West of here is Whiting, ewwww.
Plumstead Township I know nothing about. I see that New Egypt is being a built up a little and some homes come with a real nice piece of land. West of New Egypt on rte 537 there seems to be a bit of construction going on. I used to drive out towards the Mansfield area, and some of it looked nice...Chesterfield as well. But when it comes to those towns you will have to ask someone who lives closer by.
Good luck.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:18 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,547,870 times
Camden, Cumberland, and Salem Counties - you'll find homes to choose from. And parts of Burlington County as well. I'm not sure of specific names of towns off the top of my head but I'll try to come up with some. Do you have kids? Knowing if you need a good school district is helpful.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:23 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,547,870 times
I forgot Gloucester County!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:51 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,278,674 times
Default We live in Waretown, South Jersey

What does mean that Waretown is an old town? Historically it is an old town. Waretown is a nice area. It offers the small town but the access it has to all that around it is great. We have access to the GSP both north and south bound (both ways as in entrances and exits). We've lived here for 18 yrs and have loved it. I believe we have one of the lowest sets of property taxes in the surrounding area. We are looking to sell our home because we want to relocate near family that just recently left the area. Our kids (and ourselves too) miss them a great deal. Moderator cut: no advertising

Last edited by tahiti; 01-11-2008 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: no advertising, please use classifieds forum

Old 01-11-2008, 09:44 PM

67 posts, read 229,160 times
Smile Southern Ocean County

A nice area to move is Barnegat, I've lived here for the past 22 year and have raised my family here
Barnegat NJ is located in Ocean County NJ.
Just minutes from the Ocean. This neighborhood is a short distance from
the Garden State Parkway made for an easy commute and convenient to local shopping. Neighborhood is host the many activities overall it's a nice area.

The housing prices are the same from Barnegat down through Little Egg Harb.

Last edited by Union; 01-11-2008 at 09:48 PM.. Reason: adding more to message

Old 01-12-2008, 08:45 AM

28,227 posts, read 20,252,171 times
I would definitely go with Lacey Twp. Lived there 33 years. Taxes are much better than Waretown and Barnegat and more to offer.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:50 AM

327 posts, read 1,099,305 times
Lacey is nice, I grew up there...but I'm not sure you'd get a few acres for $350k unless you went out to Bamber. It all depends on what you're looking for. Bamber is quiet, has a nice community lake, but really nothing in the way of stores. Closest would be Whiting or South Toms River/Manchester area. My parents have since moved further south to West Creek (south of Manahawkin) and like it alot, although it's right off Route 9.

I just recently moved from Eastampton in Burlington County. Very nice small town (~3000 residents) surrounded by farmland, but only a mile or two removed from Route 38 for shopping and such. Next to Mount Holly, the County Seat, so access to parades and festivals is easy.

Lacey taxes are low because of the power plant. I know their operating permit was up for renewal and was being fought pretty hard by those who didn't want it to be renewed. Not sure of the status, but you'll want to check that. If the permit doesn't get renewed, taxes will shoot up to meet the surrounding area. Eastampton taxes were a little high for the area because there weren't many business ratables in the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey